Spiral progress photos

Old May 23rd 05, 09:38 PM
Pat Flannery

Neil Gerace wrote:

Although I don't remember the specifics, I may have run across a
helicopter RPV that used a single blade at some point.

There's an easy way to check. How many toes do you have?

That took me a second to get...that was a good one! :-D
I'm still trying to find the thing; it may have had two single bladed
contrarotating rotor assemblies one on top of the other like the
Heliofly III here's another Heliofly III variant with a bigger motor and
rudimentary landing gear:
http://avia.russian.ee/vertigo/foto/...liofly-359.jpg
Then there is the strange electrical helicopter idea:
http://avia.russian.ee/vertigo/aeg-r.html
But for singe bladed helicopters you are still never going to beat this
idea for pure loopiness:
http://home.att.net/~dannysoar2/Whirlygig.htm
http://modelbox.free.fr/photoscopes/...hot/index.html
Even Jules Verne would have hesitated before sticking something like
that into one of his stories!
What I'd like to know is where all the funding to actually build it came
from; looking at the photos you can tell that one hell of a lot of work
went into it- it's far more complex than the Wright Flyer, and obviously
consumed a very large number of man-hours in its construction.
And it certainly made waves in the aeronautical world- literally in this
case:
http://modelbox.free.fr/photoscopes/...R_lac_face.JPG
I love the look on the pilot's face "Okay, now do I really want to push
the Big Red Button and see what happens? Am I completely out of my mind?
Why the hell did I ever build this piece of merde anyway? There's no
dignified way out of this now, is there? Oh well, here goes nothing..."
http://modelbox.free.fr/photoscopes/...PR_takeoff.JPG
If nothing else, I'm sure he brought a great deal of laughter and gaiety
to France; I bet they were still talking about the "That crazy man and
his crazy spinning thing" and falling off the bar stools of
Pouilly-en-Auxois in uncontrollable laughter decades later.
They should give medals for doing things like that. :-D

Pat
Old May 24th 05, 02:20 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"OM" om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote
in message ...
On Tue, 24 May 2005 01:58:14 +0800, "Neil Gerace"
wrote:

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

Although I don't remember the specifics, I may have run across a
helicopter RPV that used a single blade at some point.

There's an easy way to check. How many toes do you have?

...That was a cut below the belt, Neil.

Better than him putting his foot in his mouth.

Hmm.. gotta get me some lady fingers from the kitchen.... and some chianti.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr

Old May 24th 05, 03:30 AM
Neil Gerace

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

That took me a second to get...that was a good one! :-D

Rotating-wing aircraft will always be the sharp end of the industry.

snip

If nothing else, I'm sure he brought a great deal of laughter and gaiety
to France; I bet they were still talking about the "That crazy man and his
crazy spinning thing" and falling off the bar stools of Pouilly-en-Auxois
in uncontrollable laughter decades later.
They should give medals for doing things like that. :-D

Of course you've seen "Those Daring Young Men and Their Flying Machines"

You know that turbine looks like a Tokamak fusion generator from a long way
off. Now there's a way to get the power density right up.

Old May 24th 05, 04:48 AM
Pat Flannery

Neil Gerace wrote:

You know that turbine looks like a Tokamak fusion generator from a long way
off. Now there's a way to get the power density right up.

I always thought it looked like a flying guitar- it's a case where you'd
love to know the thought process that led to the design, but I think a
spinning Boxelder tree seed figured in there somewhe
http://www.forestryimages.org/images...56/1219003.jpg
these do spiral down in a fairly slow and steady manner with all the
weight at one end. But that is one weird drive mechanism for the blade
he chose...was he trying to get centrifugal force to pull the air to the
blade's tip as it spun?

Pat