First Saturn V launch-in Guinness Book?

Old October 27th 04, 03:03 PM
Bill

Default First Saturn V launch-in Guinness Book?

I have heard that the first Saturn V launch is still in the Guinness
Book of World Records as the loudest man-made, non-nuclear sound in
history. I also heard (somewhere) that it broke windows out of houses
in Melbourne and they had to install sound dampening skirts on the
first stage. Anyone know if this is correct?
Old October 27th 04, 03:25 PM
Joseph Nebus

Bill writes:

I have heard that the first Saturn V launch is still in the Guinness
Book of World Records as the loudest man-made, non-nuclear sound in
history.

My copy of the 1982 Guinness Book of World Records credits NASA
as producing the loudest noise, but not by a Saturn V:

``The loudest noise created in a laboratory is 210 decibels or
400,000 acoustic Watts reported by NASA in Oct 1965. The noise
came from a 48-foot steel and concrete horn in Huntsville,
Alabama. Holes can be bored in solid material by this means.''

John Young and Charlie Duke are credited with the greatest lunar
elevation, 25,688 feet above the arbitrary ``sea level'' on 27 April 1972.
The Saturn V is credited as the most powerful publicized rocket, but notes
hints of Soviet launches as Tyura Tam in 1969 and 1973 that may have been
bigger. Skylab I is credited with the highest payload. Apollo is
credited as the most expensive project, though it's not clear to me if
that counts Mercury and Gemini expenses. Alfred Worden is credited as
Most Isolated, the person farthest from any other human being, at some
2,233.2 miles from anyone else, on Apollo 15.

Their rulings may have changed since 1982, of course.

--
Joseph Nebus
Old October 27th 04, 04:10 PM
bob haller

Apollo is
credited as the most expensive project,

Their rulings may have changed since 1982, of course

Shuttle HAS to have cost more than apollo
..
..
End the dangerous wasteful shuttle now before it kills any more astronauts....
Old October 27th 04, 05:40 PM
Neil Gerace

"Joseph Nebus" wrote in message
John Young and Charlie Duke are credited with the greatest lunar
elevation, 25,688 feet above the arbitrary ``sea level'' on 27 April 1972.

We're all higher than that right now

Old October 27th 04, 07:02 PM
Pat Flannery

Joseph Nebus wrote:

The Saturn V is credited as the most powerful publicized rocket, but notes
hints of Soviet launches as Tyura Tam in 1969 and 1973 that may have been
bigger.

The N-1 generated more thrust than the Saturn V (5,130,000 kgf vs.
3,946,624 kgf) so it was probably louder also.

Pat

Old October 27th 04, 08:49 PM
Nicholas Fitzpatrick

bob haller wrote:
Apollo is
credited as the most expensive project,

Their rulings may have changed since 1982, of course

Shuttle HAS to have cost more than apollo

Presumably, as the Shuttle has been operational for 24 years, while
Apollo didn't even last 10. If it hasn't been more expensive, then
something is very wrong.

Nick
Old October 27th 04, 08:52 PM
Andre Lieven

Pat Flannery ) writes:
Joseph Nebus wrote:

The Saturn V is credited as the most powerful publicized rocket, but notes
hints of Soviet launches as Tyura Tam in 1969 and 1973 that may have been
bigger.

The N-1 generated more thrust than the Saturn V (5,130,000 kgf vs.
3,946,624 kgf) so it was probably louder also.

Especially the one that fell from a few hundred meters altitude,
and... blew up.

Andre

--
" I'm a man... But, I can change... If I have to... I guess. "
The Man Prayer, Red Green.
Old October 28th 04, 12:39 AM
Tim K.

"Bill" wrote in message
news
I have heard that the first Saturn V launch is still in the Guinness
Book of World Records as the loudest man-made, non-nuclear sound in
history. I also heard (somewhere) that it broke windows out of houses
in Melbourne and they had to install sound dampening skirts on the
first stage. Anyone know if this is correct?

Broke windows from Titusville to Cape Canaveral but not as far south as
Melbourne, that I remember hearing about. It was a sight to see!

Old October 28th 04, 02:36 AM
Peter Stickney

Pat Flannery writes:

Joseph Nebus wrote:

The Saturn V is credited as the most powerful publicized rocket, but notes
hints of Soviet launches as Tyura Tam in 1969 and 1973 that may have been
bigger.

The N-1 generated more thrust than the Saturn V (5,130,000 kgf vs.
3,946,624 kgf) so it was probably louder also.

WEspecially since the Saturn spread its noise over a wide path in spae
and time as it climbed out, and the N-1 concentrated it's noise by
releasing it all at once.

--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster
Old October 28th 04, 05:17 AM
Pat Flannery

Peter Stickney wrote:

WEspecially since the Saturn spread its noise over a wide path in spae
and time as it climbed out, and the N-1 concentrated it's noise by
releasing it all at once.

Well, one N-1 _almost_ got to the end of its first stage burn before it
blew up. :-)
Actually, it would be interesting to figure out if the 30 N-1
first-stage motors or five Saturn V first stage motors made more noise.
Since the F-1s were larger, did they generate a lower frequency sound?

Pat