Clue to Dark Matter Mystery

Old October 28th 03, 12:09 AM
John Baez

Default Clue to Dark Matter Mystery

In article ,
stmx3 wrote:

Starblade Darksquall wrote:

Their abstract:

"We discuss the possibility that the recent detection of 511 keV
gamma-rays from the galactic bulge, as observed by INTEGRAL, is a
consequence of low mass (~MeV) particle dark matter annihilations. We
discuss the type of halo profile favored by the observations as well as
the size of the annihilation cross section needed to account for the
signal. We find that such a scenario is consistent with the observed
dark matter relic density and other constraints from astrophysics and
particle physics."

What these physicists seem to be implying is that dark matter is
simply a field of electrons and/or positrons.

They'd better not be implying that - just think about it!

You can't have vast quantities of electrons and/or positrons playing
the role of dark matter. If you had *just* electrons or just positrons,
their electric charge would have hurled them out of the galaxy a long
time ago. And if you had *both*, they'd annihilate each other like
hell, since there'd be need to be so many - remember, dark matter
accounts for more mass than visible matter, and electrons are 1800
times lighter than protons. So, we wouldn't just see some feeble
511 keV glow: we'd see the whole galaxy exploding dramatically!

They propose ~1 - 100 MeV darkmatter annihilation as the candidate to
produce 511 KeV photons.

That makes more sense. But it sounds a little tough to exclude
alternate explanations, doesn't it?