Never forget (Newbie experience)

Old October 4th 03, 04:35 AM
Rets

Default Never forget (Newbie experience)

Well, I've had my Orion XT4.5 Dob for about 2 or 3 weeks now, and I
never would've imagined the number of unforgettable moments it has
provided me so far. I'm telling you, nothing is better than being a
newbie at something, because everything is fresh and new and exciting.
I hope it stays this way for a while... Before getting the
scope, I figured I wouldn't be able to see too much here in my neck of
the woods (suburban NYC, Queens), and would have to travel away from
the city to observe, but the little slice of the sky that can be
viewed from my backyard has satisfied me so far. A few moments I won't
forget:

1) Day 1 - Getting the scope and pointing it at my first target,
which of course, was Mars. I saw nothing except a bright white disk
that hurt my eyes. No details and no features I could identify, but I
didn't care. It was the first time I ever looked through a telescope
and I was ecstatic.

2) The first time I saw the SPC of Mars after getting myself the
Celestron Accessory kit with the 2X barlow. I almost fainted.

3) Last night, viewing M31, Andromeda Galaxy for the first time. I
wasn't sure if I would be able to see it with all the light pollution
of the NYC metro area, but I found it with only about 30 seconds of
searching. A great object for a rank newbie like me to hunt down, I
guess! All my little dob could show me was not much more than a
bright little smudge, but I was simply blown away that I was actually
seeing such a distant object with my own eyes.

4) Tonight, pointing the scope at the moon for the first time. OH MY
GOD! One of the most stunning sights I've ever seen in my life.
Unfortunately, I only had about 5 minutes of viewing time before it
became obstructed by trees. I can't wait until I get a chance to try
again.

5) Tonight, my first experience trying to fend off a raccoon that
couldn't take a hint. I think nothing is scarier than concentrating
so hard at what's in the eyepiece that you don't realize a raccoon has
decided to share your blanket.

Hopefully this great new hobby will bring countless more
"unforgettable" moments. The $400 or so I spent on the scope and
accessories has got to be the best $400 I ever spent!

Now a question - I seem to be able to locate the Andromeda Galaxy
(magnitude 3.5) with no problem at all. It shows faint but obvious in
my 6x26 finder scope, and it appears nice and bright in my 32mm
eyepiece. Tonight, with the help of Orion's "the Sky" software, I
tried to locate M33, the Pinwheel Galaxy (magnitude 5.70), with no
luck at all. It's location in relation to M31 should've made it
relatively easy to find. My question is, how much dimmer is a
magnitude 5.7 object relative to a magnitude 3.5 object? And, with
fairly heavy light pollution and only a 4.5" reflector, should I
expect to see such objects?

Thanks for your input. I need to rest - that small XT4.5 "Kid's
scope" sure is a neck killer if you're an adult!

-Rets
Old October 4th 03, 04:49 AM
Bill Becker

Hi Rets,

"Rets" wrote in message
om...
[...]

It just takes a bit of practice= read viewing experience to see the detail
that
is presented in your scope. Once your eyes are trained properly, the amount
of
detail increases substantially.

2) The first time I saw the SPC of Mars after getting myself the
Celestron Accessory kit with the 2X barlow. I almost fainted.

And..you're seeing the SPC when it really has shrunk from just a couple of
months ago.

3) Last night, viewing M31, Andromeda Galaxy for the first time. I
wasn't sure if I would be able to see it with all the light pollution
of the NYC metro area, but I found it with only about 30 seconds of
searching. A great object for a rank newbie like me to hunt down, I
guess! All my little dob could show me was not much more than a
bright little smudge, but I was simply blown away that I was actually
seeing such a distant object with my own eyes.

Did you also notice M32 and M110, maybe, in the same fov?

4) Tonight, pointing the scope at the moon for the first time. OH MY
GOD! One of the most stunning sights I've ever seen in my life.
Unfortunately, I only had about 5 minutes of viewing time before it
became obstructed by trees. I can't wait until I get a chance to try
again.

Yes, Luna is a very user friendly object no matter what instrument you use
and in your 4.5"er,
the views really do excite. My 4" Refractor and Maksutov stun me everytime I
train them on our
natural satellite.

5) Tonight, my first experience trying to fend off a raccoon that
couldn't take a hint. I think nothing is scarier than concentrating
so hard at what's in the eyepiece that you don't realize a raccoon has
decided to share your blanket.

Cool....you got raccoons in Queens? Gotta love it. ;^)

Hopefully this great new hobby will bring countless more
"unforgettable" moments. The $400 or so I spent on the scope and
accessories has got to be the best $400 I ever spent!

Judging from the enthusiasm you're showing.....yes, a very *wise*
investment.

Now a question - I seem to be able to locate the Andromeda Galaxy
(magnitude 3.5) with no problem at all. It shows faint but obvious in
my 6x26 finder scope, and it appears nice and bright in my 32mm
eyepiece. Tonight, with the help of Orion's "the Sky" software, I
tried to locate M33, the Pinwheel Galaxy (magnitude 5.70), with no
luck at all. It's location in relation to M31 should've made it
relatively easy to find. My question is, how much dimmer is a
magnitude 5.7 object relative to a magnitude 3.5 object? And, with
fairly heavy light pollution and only a 4.5" reflector, should I
expect to see such objects?

M33 can be an awkward bird. I, sometimes, have difficulty finding it in even
dark skies
with a scope yet in my 12X60 binoculars, it's a piece of cake. Very large
object with
a relatively low surface brightness. Sometimes the numbers can be deceiving.

Thanks for your input. I need to rest - that small XT4.5 "Kid's
scope" sure is a neck killer if you're an adult!

-Rets

Best regards,
Bill

Old October 4th 03, 05:27 AM
Bill Meyers

Hello, Rets,
Glad to see you are enjoying the sky. Welcome to amateur astronomy and
SAA.
From a light polluted sky M33 can be very tough with almost any scope.
Try for open star clusters, like M35, 36, 37, 38, and 45., and the Double
Cluster in Perseus. Cassiopeia has some good clusters too. The bright
stellar association (very wide star cluster) around Alpha Perseus is also
enjoyable in that size scope.
Double stars will also be a rewarding type of object. So will M42, a
bright nebula. And M15, a bright globular is still visible. When summer
comes, many of the globulars will look good in your scope.
You mentioned your scope being a neck killer. Ergonomics is important.
I suggest you put the scope on a small table or on a sturdy box, of the
right height so that you don't get neck strain.
If you can take your scope out to a dark sky site you will be able
to see a greater variety of objects.
Welcome to amateur astronomy and let us know how things are going.
Clear skies,
Bill Meyers

Old October 4th 03, 05:44 AM
Morris Jones

Rets wrote:
Tonight, with the help of Orion's "the Sky" software, I
tried to locate M33, the Pinwheel Galaxy (magnitude 5.70), with no
luck at all. It's location in relation to M31 should've made it
relatively easy to find. My question is, how much dimmer is a
magnitude 5.7 object relative to a magnitude 3.5 object? And, with
fairly heavy light pollution and only a 4.5" reflector, should I
expect to see such objects?

You'll be able to see it with practice. The main key is having a
good dark transparent sky. M33 is very large with very low surface
brightness. When you do find it, it'll be an area of sky that's a
little brighter dark grey than the area of sky next to it.

Oftentimes, M33 is easier to see in a good pair of 7x50 binoculars
than in a telescope. Your observing location is more important than
the telescope you use.

Mojo
--
Morris Jones *
San Rafael, CA

http://www.whiteoaks.com
Old October 4th 03, 08:12 AM
John Carruthers

A few moments I won't forget:
SPC of Mars ....Andromeda Galaxy .....moon for the first time...

And you still have Saturn to look forward to, and Jupiter, and,
and.......
Keep us posted.
jc

---

Old October 4th 03, 11:00 AM
Tony Flanders

(Rets) wrote in message . com...

Well, I've had my Orion XT4.5 Dob for about 2 or 3 weeks now, and I
never would've imagined the number of unforgettable moments it has
provided me so far.

Congratulations! You obviously have a great future ahead of you
as an amateur astronomer. Would you believe that a lot of people,
after buying telescopes 5X or 10X more expensive than yours, look
at a few objects, say "Oh, is that all? I was expecting something
exciting," then stick their scopes in a closet and forget about
them? Astronomy is all a matter of attitude, and clearly you've
got it!

Now a question - I seem to be able to locate the Andromeda Galaxy
(magnitude 3.5) with no problem at all [but no luck on M33].
My question is, how much dimmer is a
magnitude 5.7 object relative to a magnitude 3.5 object? And, with
fairly heavy light pollution and only a 4.5" reflector, should I
expect to see such objects?

The issue is not mag 5.7 versus mag 3.5; there are plenty of mag 5,
mag 6, and mag 7 objects that you should be able to see with ease.
The problem is that M33 has low "surface brightness", i.e. its
light is spread out over a very large area, and it has no clearly
defined edges, nor does it have a bright center like M31. In
fact, M33 is often considered one of the very hardest of all
the Messier objects to see under heavy light pollution. Ironically,
it is fairly easy to see with the unaided eye under dark skies.

I recommend taking a look at my Urban Astronomy site,
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze55p46.

- Tony Flanders
Old October 4th 03, 12:27 PM
Rets

**I*** (Rets) wrote in message . com...
Well, I've had my Orion XT4.5 Dob for about 2 or 3 weeks now, and I
never would've imagined the number of unforgettable moments it has
provided me so far.

Thanks everyone for the kind words, tips and encouragement. I've
learned quite a bit from reading the various books and magazines out
there, but I find this NG to be the most informative.

I'd like to add another "unforgettable" moment to my list:

This morning: Woke at 5:50am and said to myself, "Who cares if I only
went to bed 3 hours ago, I've GOT to see Saturn!". So I threw on some
warm clothes and took the scope outside. Said hello to Mr. Orion, and
out of curiousity took my first peek at M42. Wasn't too impressed,
being that it was already starting to get light out and besides, I was
itching to see Saturn. "M42 can wait a couple of months", I thought
to myself. Onto Saturn. It was then that I realized that I had
really only been looking at Mars and the Moon over the couple of weeks
that I've owned the scope, and those objects are unmistakeable to the
naked eye. However, it wasn't going to be so obvious picking out
Saturn from the hundreds of points of light above my head. I tried
scanning the section of sky it was in with the naked eye, seeing if I
could discern anything that would indicate Saturn (such as
non-twinkling?). No luck. However, once I used the finder scope, it
was clear which point of light was planetary. A-ha, something learned
today. Took a look through the eyepiece, and nearly fell off the
chair. Okay, so I wasn't on a chair, but IF I was, I would've fallen
off. I couldn't believe that the planet looked so sharp, with
the division in the rings looking like it was drawn on by a fine
artist, 1 clear band on the planet, and 2 moons accompanying nearby.
I kept thinking I saw a third moon, but I can't be sure. I was simply
awestruck. It's times like these that I regret not taking up the
hobby earlier (I'm in my early 30s), but I'm excited that I've
introduced myself to this pastime and know I'll be astounded by many
discoveries to come. (By the way, the reason I decided to start
reading about astronomy and eventually buy the scope is because of all
the TV news hype Mars brought in August. Though the reporters seemed
especially good at exaggerating the facts and getting most of them
wrong, I hope they've inspired others to take a look at the sky as
well).

Oh, and the raccoon that was bugging me last night stole a couple of
cucumbers from my backyard, that b*st*rd!

-Rets
Old October 4th 03, 12:38 PM
Rets

"Bill Becker" wrote in message ...
Hi Rets,

"Rets" wrote in message
om...

3) Last night, viewing M31, Andromeda Galaxy for the first time.

Did you also notice M32 and M110, maybe, in the same fov?

No, I tried on 2 nights and couldn't make out any hint of these 2
companion galaxies. I shall chant to myself, "Get-out-of city.
Get-to-darker-skies."

5) Tonight, my first experience trying to fend off a raccoon that
couldn't take a hint. I think nothing is scarier than concentrating
so hard at what's in the eyepiece that you don't realize a raccoon has
decided to share your blanket.

Cool....you got raccoons in Queens? Gotta love it. ;^)

Yup, lot of raccoons here (and possum), and no, don't love it at all!
By the way, be careful of NYC raccoons - they got attitude!

eyepiece. Tonight, with the help of Orion's "the Sky" software, I
tried to locate M33, the Pinwheel Galaxy (magnitude 5.70), with no
luck at all.

M33 can be an awkward bird. I, sometimes, have difficulty finding it in even
dark skies
with a scope yet in my 12X60 binoculars, it's a piece of cake. Very large
object with
a relatively low surface brightness. Sometimes the numbers can be deceiving.

Yes, one constant thing people seem to agree on is that a decent pair
of binoculars is an invaluable tool. Gives me an excuse to go buy
another toy!

Best regards,
Bill

-Rets
Old October 4th 03, 04:56 PM
Scutter

Congratulations on entering into this wonderful hobby!

I, too am a newbie (just started this year). I am also excited everytime I
look at the moon, I love it! It is my favorite subject of study right now.

Wednesday night the sky was so clear and steady, I was at 150X with my 4.5"
newtonian, and it was rock solid. I almost felt as if I could reach out and
touch the craters in the Sea of Teranquility. Gorgeous!

We had clear skies on August 27th, and I was also able to see the SPC on
Mars with my 60mm refractor, believe it or not! It was also too white and
bright for me in the newt, so I tried the little refractor my father-in-law
gave us that got me started me in astronomy, and the view was better for my
untrained eyes. My father-in-law had never seen the SPC on Mars in all his
75 years, and was as excited as I was.

One of the wonderful things about this hobby is that even though I don't
have near enough time to get out under the sky, it's going to be there for
my lifetime of enjoyment. I don't need to learn and see it all now.

--
Dan Braasch

om...

Old October 4th 03, 08:35 PM
Mike Simmons

Rets,

Congratulations on a great night -- the first of many to come, I
guarantee you! You're quite right that the excitement of your first
look at some of these objects will stay with you forever. But they will
become old friends in time and will still give you surprises along the
way as you get more familiar with them, see them under different
conditions and in different scopes and just spend more time getting to
know them. And there are a lot more there waiting to be discovered.

I'm betting you never forget AND that you never lose the excitement of
it all. "OH MY GOD" is still in my vocabulary and those of a lot of
others that have been observing for 30 years and longer.

Mike Simmons