ASTRO: M14

Old January 29th 08, 09:48 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: M14

No I wasn't trying to image in the dawn sky. What with all the clouds
of late I started going through and cleaning out the unneeded files on
the hard drive and moving no longer needed files to two external drives,
one backs up the data on both the computer and other external drive. In
doing so I'm finding long lost data.

Back in June I took a series of shots of M14. It is somewhat low in my
lousy seeing. I imaged for 4 hours, two on either side of the meridian
hoping for a few usable shots. I remember looking at the data at the
time and finding it pretty lousy. Guess I then thought I'd erased it.
Good thing I didn't. I examined every frame and found 6 usable
luminosity frames. Turns out I took only three frames of each color,
one on the east side of the meridian, two on the west. They were lousy
but since color need not be high resolution they were usable. I put it
all together and the result isn't all that bad. Though that low in the
sky I did reduce the size to 1.5" per pixel rather than my usual 1" per
pixel to make it look somewhat better.

Note the total absence of faint fuzzies. The dust in our galaxy behind
M14 must be really thick in this area for none to get through.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=6x5' RGB=3x5', STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M14_6X5RGB3X5-67.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	301.6 KB
ID:	1653
Old January 30th 08, 12:08 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

This image showed me how under exposed my old image is. The fainter stars
in the cluster sure show up here.

Nice indeed!

--
Regards, Doug W.
www.photonsfate.com

Old January 30th 08, 01:46 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

nice image Rick

and here I thought i was going to see a photo of you holding a military
rifle..... perhaps fron the Vietnam War era: i mean they did use M14s there
before the M16 was deployed

Old January 30th 08, 06:19 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Actually my arms go back a lot farther. I have many black powder guns
and a few replicas from way back. I have a shooting range in the woods
for black powder as well. But nothing as modern as an M14 I'm afraid.
Or as rapid firing. I'm not quite that quick with a ramrod.

Rick

Old January 30th 08, 09:06 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Gordan

Beautiful image, Rick!
I like the resolution and colours on your images.
And thank you for the comment (and explanation) of my M35 / NGC 2158 image.
Greetings,
Gordan

Old January 30th 08, 10:32 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Very good result indeed for such a low object.

Stefan

Old February 4th 08, 10:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
John N. Gretchen III

Great image Rick!

Rick Johnson wrote:
[...]

N5JNG NCS304