Beta Gimbal assy

Old December 13th 07, 08:13 PM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

Default Beta Gimbal assy

So, we have a rotating joint problem on the same side as the sarj problem. I
bit of a coincidence, don't you think?

Obviously this assembly was made on a Friday afternoon after a liquid
lunch?
I jest, but if it turns out to be poor manufacture, I wonder what they can
do abhout it?

So, I'm not sure from the description exactly what occurred on Saturday. Was
it a short?
Brian
--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.

Old December 13th 07, 08:21 PM posted to sci.space.station
Todd H.

"Brian Gaff" writes:

So, I'm not sure from the description exactly what occurred on Saturday. Was
it a short?
Brian

If you're talking about the launch scrub, the root cause is yet to be
determined.

One of the engine cut off (ECO) sensors flaked out again during
filling of the external tank, and the modified flight rules they were
under indicated that unless all 4 sensors worked without incident,
they weren't gonna fly. One of the sensors repeated its false
alarming tricks of a few days (and few years) back, and they called it
off pending an root cause analysis and a fix.

--
Todd H.
http://toddh.net/
Old December 13th 07, 08:24 PM posted to sci.space.station
Jim Kingdon

So, we have a rotating joint problem on the same side as the sarj problem. I
bit of a coincidence, don't you think?

Well, there is speculation that the beta gimbal joint problem could
have been a micrometeorite strike he

http://www.floridatoday.com/floridat...ect-joint.html

although they don't elaborate on whether there is evidence for that or
whether it is just one guess among many.
Old December 14th 07, 04:56 AM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 20:13:42 GMT, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

So, we have a rotating joint problem on the same side as the sarj problem. I
bit of a coincidence, don't you think?

Obviously this assembly was made on a Friday afternoon after a liquid
lunch?

Or much more likely, a side effect of the vibrations from the failed
SARJ.

Brian
Old December 14th 07, 08:48 AM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

Yes, I thought that as well. The loose particle sounds the most likely, but
whatever it is it is apparently conductive, which is a little worrying.

So we have magnetised particles in the sarj, and conductive debris in the
bga. Sounds a bit odd to me. Did anyone actually ask how come all the
particles in the Sarj are standing on end as they are apparently in the
photo which was shown?
I thought these units were all kept in clean environments and launched
clean too?

Just trying to think back to the mission which installed this sarj and
whether there were any issues at that time in the processing reported.

Maybe the manufacturers test samples might show something, as the surface
hardening of the race ring should not allow the problem to occur.

If the other surface is the same, they have a problem.

Be interesting to find out what the surface facing down is like.
The rotary joint should be fixable I'd imagine, and its gratifying that only
one is affected.

Brian

Email:

Old December 15th 07, 08:22 AM posted to sci.space.station
Sir Frederick

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 08:48:29 GMT, "Brian Gaff" wrote:

[...]

We should know a lot more come Tuesday.
Old December 19th 07, 05:09 PM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Heil

wrote:

So, we have a rotating joint problem on the same side as the sarj problem. I
bit of a coincidence, don't you think?

Obviously this assembly was made on a Friday afternoon after a liquid
lunch?
I jest, but if it turns out to be poor manufacture, I wonder what they can
do abhout it?
Brian

First thing that I thought about after hearing of the problems with
the SARJ was this:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/07/26/nas...eut/index.html -
'NASA finds apparent sabotage'.

Anyone know when the final closeouts on S4 were?
--
Brian Heil | Stay Alert! | Technology Services
Systems Administrator/Programmer | Trust No One! | University of Iowa
| Keep Your Laser Handy | College of Business

Question about 3-axis gimbal Ady[_2_] Space Shuttle 2 February 20th 07 03:39 PM
SRB Gimbal potential issues B Space Shuttle 1 December 7th 06 03:14 PM
Google Beta And *YOU* Alric Knebel Misc 2 December 9th 04 02:37 PM
beta-Perseus Androcles UK Astronomy 4 August 19th 04 02:55 PM
Beta Lyrae Jonathan Silverlight Astronomy Misc 0 October 21st 03 10:09 PM