Solar eclipse of Aug 21st 2017

Old August 26th 07, 08:54 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jan Owen

Default Solar eclipse of Aug 21st 2017

"Esmail" wrote in message
Howard Lester wrote:
"David Nakamoto" wrote

David, it'd be the ultimate s.a.a. gathering. The idea of a national
s.a.a. gathering was brought up years ago... remember?

Howard

Ahem ! Given some of the "personalities" that inhabit this group, is
that a good idea ?! (^_^)

--- Dave

Well, I did follow that up with the intimation that, at such a gathering,
we'd have the opportunity to permanently remove some offensive
personalities! We'd just sacrifice them in order to bring back the
sun....

Ah .. leave it to Howard to come up with creative problem solution.
In that case perhaps Shawn and Nancy could turn up too.

YIKES!!!

Rending hair and running from room!!!

--
Jan Owen

To reach me directly, remove the Z, if one appears in my e-mail address...
Latitude: 33.6
Longitude: -112.3
http://community.webshots.com/user/janowen21

Old August 26th 07, 08:57 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gareth Slee

Howard Lester wrote:

"Bill Becker" wrote

It looks like totality runs right through Casper Wyoming. :^)

Who else could get lucky barring cloud cover?

You're just aware of that now? :-) Welcome back! Another lost soul back
from the dead!

Mike Simmons and I were planning to meet in east/southeastern Wyoming where
I think it'll be the best chances for clear sky at 10:30 AM.

Well I'm up for that!
I think a meet up would be great. Marty, we might get that beer yet!

--
Am I the only Gareth Slee?
http://www.garethslee.com
Old August 27th 07, 12:32 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Howard Lester[_1_]

"Marty" wrote

And I'd be happy to preside over the festivities of the sacrifice!
Marty

You're certainly equipped! It'll all have to be performed when the Marty
goes down, so to speak....

Old August 27th 07, 03:50 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
David Nakamoto

Howard Lester wrote:
"David Nakamoto" wrote

David, it'd be the ultimate s.a.a. gathering. The idea of a national
s.a.a. gathering was brought up years ago... remember?

Howard

Ahem ! Given some of the "personalities" that inhabit this group, is that
a good idea ?! (^_^)

--- Dave

Well, I did follow that up with the intimation that, at such a gathering,
we'd have the opportunity to permanently remove some offensive
personalities! We'd just sacrifice them in order to bring back the sun....

;-)

Oh, you're evil, eiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiivil ! (^_^)

Not that some of these posters don't deserve it. (^_^)

Writing from the dark side,
--- Dave
Old August 27th 07, 05:01 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Greg Campbell

Edward Erbeck wrote:

"Sam Wormley" wrote

Someone once proposed that the posters on sci.physics meet at the four
corners in the southwestern states--stipulating no knives, guns, ropes
or other weapons. It's a bit more heated forum!

Sheeze, Why bother to show up??????? ;-)

Crazy Ed

No worries, Ed. Attendees from the wild and woolly state of Arizona
members will be granted a weapons waiver...

Or you could simply bludgeon the obnoxious with the latest 4" Nagler
type 19 (Banned in 5 states!)

-Moo
Old September 2nd 07, 08:44 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Simmons[_2_]

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 10:21:37 -0700, Howard Lester wrote:

"Esmail" wrote

Mike Simmons and I were planning to meet in east/southeastern Wyoming
where I think it'll be the best chances for clear sky at 10:30 AM.

And I suppose *my* invitation to that meeting got lost in the mail???

You mean Mike never invited you??? That BUM! ;-)

Ahem. Um, Howard, you know I have a network of spies watching for people
taking my name in vain, don't you? Expect a knock on the door from a
couple of swarthy gentelmen late some night.

We planned this because it turned out we were both fairly close to each
other observing the 1979 eclipse in Washington. Of course we didn't know of
each other then.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;-)

I was at the Solar Eclipse Conference last weekend
(http://uk.geocities.com/solareclipse...m/SEC2007.html)
and of course there was some discussion of 2017. It looks like a very
broad area of the US can expect good weather. Mobility will be key, as
always -- climate is what you expect, weather is what you get. While
unlikely, a total solar eclipse and tornado is possible!

Mike Simmons
Old September 2nd 07, 09:34 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Aug 24, 4:52 pm, "Howard Lester" wrote:
"Bill Becker" wrote

Mike Simmons and I were planning to meet in east/southeastern Wyoming where
I think it'll be the best chances for clear sky at 10:30 AM.

Hmm . . . If I recall my grade school geography correctly, Wyoming
isn't all that far from my home on the range in Montana. Is this an
"invitation only" event? :-) On the webpage link in my signature (If
I typed it correctly) can be found a painting of the 1979 eclipse ;-)

Bill Greer
To sketch is to see.
http://cejour.blogspot.com
http://www.rangeweb.net/~sketcher/paintings.html

Old September 2nd 07, 09:42 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Sep 2, 2:34 pm, wrote:

On the webpage link in my signature (If
I typed it correctly) can be found a painting of the 1979 eclipse ;-)

Oops! The correct link is below.

http://www.rangeweb.net/~sketcher/painting.html

Bill Greer
To sketch is to see.

Old September 2nd 07, 10:21 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Howard Lester[_1_]

On the webpage link in my signature (If
I typed it correctly) can be found a painting of the 1979 eclipse ;-)

Oops! The correct link is below.

http://www.rangeweb.net/~sketcher/painting.html

Nice, Bill! Originally I planned to be in Montana, but with friends in
Washington I wound up there along the Columbia River at the Stonehenge
replica. We had very thin high clouds, similar to the 1918 eclipse in Oregon
I cited earlier. It was an amazing sight and environment.

Sure, c'mon down. We'll fill up all the accommodations between Casper and
Cheyenne. By then it'll be a real cross country trip for me from New
England.

Old September 2nd 07, 10:29 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Howard Lester[_1_]

"Mike Simmons" wrote

You mean Mike never invited you??? That BUM! ;-)

Ahem. Um, Howard, you know I have a network of spies watching for people
taking my name in vain, don't you? Expect a knock on the door from a
couple of swarthy gentelmen late some night.

Who, you and Hassan? I never would have characterized you as "swarthy," ya
big lug....

We planned this because it turned out we were both fairly close to each
other observing the 1979 eclipse in Washington. Of course we didn't know
of
each other then.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;-)

Of curse not! ;-) (yes, I meant what I wrote there...)

I was at the Solar Eclipse Conference last weekend
(http://uk.geocities.com/solareclipse...m/SEC2007.html)
and of course there was some discussion of 2017. It looks like a very
broad area of the US can expect good weather. Mobility will be key, as
always -- climate is what you expect, weather is what you get. While
unlikely, a total solar eclipse and tornado is possible!

Could very well be clear along most of the track. I'm just more in favor of
the drier climate and wide open spaces of the intermountain west, and
particularly on the lee side of the rockies in general. That includes far
western Nebraska.

The centerline also passes through the south end of Jackson Lake, and I bet
the Tetons would make a spectacular backdrop.

Lunar Eclipse (03.03.07) and Solar Eclipse (18.03.07) Harry Hayfield Misc 3 February 25th 07 08:23 AM
China Manned Lunar Landing 2017 Ed Kyle Policy 17 November 9th 05 11:31 PM
China plans moon-walk for 2017 Ra♥ïⁿg L♂♀♫iε Misc 0 November 7th 05 12:54 PM
Solar eclipse shazzbat UK Astronomy 9 September 14th 05 03:12 PM
Solar Eclipse help Reb ban Solar 2 December 28th 03 04:40 PM