Up, Up and Away -- To Venus

Old August 30th 07, 11:46 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Alan Anderson

Default Up, Up and Away -- To Venus

In article . com,
JPL Media wrote:

...Jeff Hall, JPL's lead balloon engineer...

It took me a while to figure out that "lead" here should rhyme with
"feed" and not with "fed".
Old August 31st 07, 05:26 AM posted to sci.space.policy
BradGuth

On Aug 30, 3:46 pm, Alan Anderson wrote:
In article . com,

JPL Media wrote:
...Jeff Hall, JPL's lead balloon engineer...

It took me a while to figure out that "lead" here should rhyme with
"feed" and not with "fed".

Good grief, what another pathetic old joke, with our warm and fuzzy
NASA in full infomercial media damage-control, once again pretending
at their doing a Venus mission with such old file copy none the less.

Up, Up and Away -- To Venus (on the dirt cheap)
http://www.nasa.gov/vision/universe/...-20070827.html
http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/1...-07-browse.jpg

"This was one of the surprises of the Vega balloon mission the Soviet
Union flew more than two decades ago," Baines said. "Enormous gravity
waves appear to rise up more than 30 miles into the upper atmosphere,
causing unexpected depositions of energy generated at the surface and
producing strong vertical movements of air. We want to ride these
waves, measuring their effect on Venus' bizarre high-speed winds."

"Enormous gravity waves" ???
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_wave
"In fluid dynamics, gravity waves are waves generated in a fluid
medium or at the interface between two mediums (e.g. the atmosphere or
ocean) which has the restoring force of gravity or buoyancy."

But otherwise, no kidding folks, because of all the CO2 as saturated
with S8 that's so much hotter near that grothermally active surface,
is clearly why there's such a terrific vertical velocity, as well as
downright nifty buoyancy to that robust atmosphere.

Instead of that silly balloon, a composite rigid airship would be far
better and long lasting, as well as capable of cruising to within a
few km of that toasty deck.
- Brad Guth

Old August 31st 07, 02:42 PM posted to sci.space.policy
BradGuth

JPL Media wrote:
...Jeff Hall, JPL's lead balloon engineer...

It took me a while to figure out that "lead" here should rhyme with
"feed" and not with "fed".

"Enormous gravity waves" ???
Good Christ almighty, it's called atmosphere and terrain that's far
below, of which just so happen to include the likes of S8 vents, and
otherwise because that planetology of Venus is so downright newish and
alive is also why it's offering such a proto-Earth like robust
atmosphere.
- Brad Guth

Old August 31st 07, 05:02 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Mike Combs[_1_]

"Alan Anderson" wrote in message
In article . com,
JPL Media wrote:

...Jeff Hall, JPL's lead balloon engineer...

It took me a while to figure out that "lead" here should rhyme with
"feed" and not with "fed".

If not, he could also be the same guy who engineers screendoors for
submarines.

--

Regards,
Mike Combs

Old August 31st 07, 08:34 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Hop David

Alan Anderson wrote:

In article . com,
JPL Media wrote:

...Jeff Hall, JPL's lead balloon engineer...

It took me a while to figure out that "lead" here should rhyme with
"feed" and not with "fed".

A Pb balloon? Sounds like the sort of surreal phrase a rock band would
take for their name.

Hop