Moon Mosaic

Old April 4th 06, 11:48 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default Moon Mosaic

My two sons used their homemade 5" f/11.4 newtonian and a Philips Toucam Pro
II webcam with K3CCDTools to capture video of the waxing crescent moon, and
used Registax and Photoshop to create a mosaic image. It is too bad that my
younger son who was positioning the scope missed a bit of the moon, but
still pretty cool.

http://www.greenmountainaccess.net/~wooscon/Mosaic.gif

Dennis

Old April 5th 06, 02:19 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 18:48:45 -0400, Dennis Woos wrote:

My two sons used their homemade 5" f/11.4 newtonian and a Philips Toucam Pro
II webcam with K3CCDTools to capture video of the waxing crescent moon, and
used Registax and Photoshop to create a mosaic image. It is too bad that my
younger son who was positioning the scope missed a bit of the moon, but
still pretty cool.

Pretty cool ? That's very cool. I would be pretty excited to have pulled
that off. I can't imagine what it must feel like to think "my kids pulled
that off". Congratulations.

Old April 5th 06, 02:37 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Your boys are quite skilled - did they learn this from you?

--

Leo's up - somewhere,
Jeffrey

Beneath South Carolina skies and clouds and clouds and clouds
--------------------- ----------------------

Old April 5th 06, 03:35 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Your boys are quite skilled - did they learn this from you?

I got them started in astronomy, and have taught them a lot as have other
members of our club. Also, I got to shell out the $$ for our Losmandy GM8.
My younger son (13) couldn't have made his 5" mirror for the imaging scope
without my guidance, though he did most of the work grinding and polishing,
and all of the figuring. He is the imaging expert in our family, and knows
the most about capturing video with the webcam. In fact, he bought the
webcam and adapter himself, and if it wasn't for him we would never have
gotten involved in it. He is also our Moon expert. My older son (16) is
the image processing guru, and is pretty computer-savy in general. He is
also our family's astronomy/astrophysics expert, and has the best eyesight!
We have a great time, and I will miss them both terribly when they go off to
conservatory/college.

Dennis

Old April 6th 06, 03:15 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Nice job! I have to say I am very impressed with what they have done.

Best,
Scotty
http://www.astronomywizard.org
Free Astronomy Blogs and Galleries

Old April 6th 06, 09:04 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Dennis Woos wrote:
My two sons used their homemade 5" f/11.4 newtonian and a Philips Toucam Pro
II webcam with K3CCDTools to capture video of the waxing crescent moon, and
used Registax and Photoshop to create a mosaic image.

http://www.greenmountainaccess.net/~wooscon/Mosaic.gif

Nice shot! How old are they?

Clear Skies

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon? If so, try
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lunar-observing/

If you enjoy optics, try
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ATM_Optics_Software/

Old April 6th 06, 09:22 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Nice shot! How old are they?

Doug is 16, and Tim is 13. Tim is on the Yahoo lunar-observing group, and
recently posted a link to the same image there. The 5" f/11.4 reflector is
Tim's, and he made the mirror. All three of us worked on the ota. Here is
a pic:

http://www.gmavt.net/~wooscon/Tim5inf11dot4.gif

We have since upgraded the mount to a Losmandy GM8. What a difference!

Dennis

ISS needs to go to the MOON, with or w/o crew Brad Guth Policy 1 March 31st 05 12:58 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones UK Astronomy 8 August 1st 04 09:08 PM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla Misc 10 July 25th 04 02:57 PM
The apollo faq the inquirer Astronomy Misc 11 April 22nd 04 06:23 AM
significant addition to section 25 of the faq heat Astronomy Misc 1 April 15th 04 01:20 AM