"The Space Race was a proxy war against the Soviets." -Steven Colbert

Old September 3rd 12, 08:49 AM posted to sci.space.history
Stuf4

Default "The Space Race was a proxy war against the Soviets." -Steven Colbert

"The Space Race was a proxy war against the Soviets." -Steven Colbert

That's the most succinct analysis of the space race as I've ever seen broadcast. Colbert & Stewart are masters of cutting straight to the heart of the matter. Here's the full quote from last Friday's show (where Neil Armstrong is more roasted than eulogized):

================
But for God's sake, you brought a plaque up there which reads:

"WE CAME IN PEACE FOR ALL MANKIND"

Come on! The Space Race was a proxy war against the Soviets. That plaque should have read:

"SUCK IT, IVAN! SINCERELY, JFK'S GHOST"
=================

( Colbert's Armstrong piece starts immediately after the commercial break:
http://www.colbertnation.com/full-ep...james-carville
http://colbertnewshub.tumblr.com/ )

Understanding how the third-party proxy set up to fight this "war" was NASA, dressed to appear as a non-military non-aggressive non-threatening entity, then one gains the greater understanding that Neil Armstrong's "small step" was the culmination of *Eisenhower's* initiative. And it was Ike's effort that was carried on by JFK, LBJ and finally Eisenhower's former VP.

The severe lack of recognition for Eisenhower's brilliance in strategizing for the Space Race is a topic I have thoroughly expounded upon in this forum long ago.

Aside from that one oversight, Colbert's words were spot on!

....and perhaps that is the ultimate tribute to Armstrong's legacy. FINALLY bringing to the public at large a solid understanding of what the Space Race was.

Facts that are hard to swallow are made more palatable by comedians by coating them with laughter. This is often used as a stepping stone toward general acceptance. I look forward to that next stage of people understanding what the Space Race really was, when an historian can lay it out to the public in words as clear as Colbert used last week, minus the comedic shell.

When that day comes, it will usher in a new era of understanding - one where we can live in confidence that we did learn the lessons of the Cold War accurately.

~ CT
Old September 4th 12, 04:08 AM posted to sci.space.history
Brad Guth[_3_]

*http://www.colbertnation.com/full-ep...1-2012-james-c....
[...]

The mutually perpetrated cold-war era was a series of proxy wars that
brought us to 9/11 and beyond. The mostly redneck ZNRs and fellow FUD-
masters think proxy wars are sheer fun and highly profitable, as well
as insuring that as much public loot keeps going into their military
industrial complex and otherwise insures as much public funded job
security w/benefits as possible.

http://groups.google.com/groups/search
http://translate.google.com/#

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_war
Old September 4th 12, 06:45 AM posted to sci.space.history
Stuf4

From Brad Guth:
snip
The mutually perpetrated cold-war era was a series of proxy wars that

brought us to 9/11 and beyond. The mostly redneck ZNRs and fellow FUD-

masters think proxy wars are sheer fun and highly profitable, as well

as insuring that as much public loot keeps going into their military

industrial complex and otherwise insures as much public funded job

security w/benefits as possible.

snip
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_war

Those proxy wars were very lucrative! And that's one more credit to Eisenhower in his parting words warning us about the military-industry complex! But did we listen? Hardly. The Space Race along with the hot wars were a free-flowing ATM-run-amok stuffing the defense industry goose like it was Foie Gras!

JFK had some sense of fiscal responsibility, and that is exactly why he wanted to stop Apollo after he had gained the Nuclear Test Ban Treaty. He was perfectly aware that this was the only reason he could justify raising the stakes up to the lunar realm.

Sad to think that Armstrong, among other moonwalkers, may have lived their subsequent four decades lacking in full grasp of this reality.

~ CT
Old September 6th 12, 04:32 AM posted to sci.space.history
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Sep 3, 10:45*pm, Stuf4 wrote:
From Brad Guth:
snip

[...]

Most Americans of that Apollo cold-war era were snookered and
dumbfounded past the point of no return, including myself.

Old September 6th 12, 12:43 PM posted to sci.space.history
Dean

On Wednesday, September 5, 2012 11:32:36 PM UTC-4, Brad Guth wrote:
On Sep 3, 10:45*pm, Stuf4 wrote:

From Brad Guth:

snip

[...]

Finally you admit it. LOL
Old September 6th 12, 02:41 PM posted to sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_3_]

On 6/09/2012 10:20 PM, Fred J. McCall wrote:
Brad Guth wrote:

Most Americans of that Apollo cold-war era were snookered and
dumbfounded past the point of no return, including myself.

Brad, you're congenitally snookered and dumbfounded. Please seek
treatment.

When was Guth's post made?

Old September 7th 12, 04:14 AM posted to sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_3_]

Brad Guth wrote:

Most Americans of that Apollo cold-war era were snookered and
dumbfounded past the point of no return, including myself.

Brad, you're congenitally snookered and dumbfounded. Please seek
treatment.

When was Guth's post made?

Yesterday. Looks like someone is confused about the order of month
and day when they construct their replyto string, Alan...

The dates look right on my system, so I'm saying it's you...

I doubt it would be me personally. It might be my server though.
Old September 7th 12, 06:53 AM posted to sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_3_]

On 7/09/2012 2:18 PM, Fred J. McCall wrote:

If your server is in Europe, that would explain the date part. The
time is all gooned up, though. It's not even consistently gooned up,
I don't think.

For example, I posted the article you are replying to at 7:28 AM MST.
Unless you're like in Hawaii or something, I really can't explain the
time you're showing.

Australia. The reason I asked about Guth's post in the first place is
that I haven't seen any posts from him in a couple of weeks.
Old September 7th 12, 01:15 PM posted to sci.space.history
Dean

On Friday, September 7, 2012 1:53:17 AM UTC-4, Alan Erskine wrote:
On 7/09/2012 2:18 PM, Fred J. McCall wrote:

If your server is in Europe, that would explain the date part. The

time is all gooned up, though. It's not even consistently gooned up,

I don't think.

For example, I posted the article you are replying to at 7:28 AM MST.

Unless you're like in Hawaii or something, I really can't explain the

time you're showing.

Australia. The reason I asked about Guth's post in the first place is

that I haven't seen any posts from him in a couple of weeks.

Australia? That explains it, you are in the future! Not seeing any posts from Guth is a good thing, be grateful! We are experiencing a holiday from his "physically dark moon" spouting and his "lets mine Venus in cooperation with the Venusians" ranting.