Arp 159 my first mosaic

Old January 13th 11, 05:57 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default Arp 159 my first mosaic

Arp 159/NGC 4747 is a very distorted galaxy in Coma Berenices not far
from the famous Coma Galaxy Cluster, about 68 million light years
distant by red shift. By Tully-Fisher measurements it is closer, about
40 million light years. I suspect this to be more accurate. I'll get
back to why in a bit. Arp put this one in a category based on the dust
clouds near the core rather than the tremendous star plumes. It is in
his Galaxies (not classifiable as S or E): Disturbed with interior
absorption. Centaurus A is the most famous galaxy in this class. Arp
saw the northeast plume saying: "Very faint plume extending northeast."
He didn't mention the shorter and fainter southwest plume. Nor do any
of the notes at NED. The NE plume extends much further in my image than
I can see it in Arp's image. NED classes it as SBcd pec.

Obviously something happened to create these huge plumes and so disturb
the galaxy. There's no hint of any galaxy in my image that could do it.
But just beyond the image is an even larger disturbed galaxy, NGC
4725. Its redshift is almost identical to that of Arp 159. Analysis of
its Cepheid variables as well as Tully-Fisher measurements put it at
about 40 million light years. With both measurements the same for Arp
159 and NGC 4725 it appears quite likely these two tangled in the past.
I imaged 4725 when I first went digital using the same scope and
camera but different focuser and distance behind the main mirror. This
changed the image scale. My filters were different as well, not nearly
as good nor did I take G2V data for them. This made color balance
difficult. I reprocessed that image as best I could and made an attempt
to mosaic the two images taken years apart. Having never tried this
before and not taking either image with this in mind the results aren't
great but at least it does show the relationship of the two galaxies.
The other galaxy with NGC 4725 is NGC 4712. It is a background galaxy
with a redshift distance of a bit over 200 million light years.
Obviously a distant background spiral galaxy.

While the field is within the SDSS survey no distance data was found at
NED for any galaxy in my Arp 159 image other than Arp 159 itself. I
made images of the two galaxies as taken by the SDSS which are also
attached.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10' RGB=2x10'x3, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP159L4X10RGB2X10X3r.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	263.7 KB
ID:	3308  Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP159-NGC4725r.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	271.5 KB
ID:	3309  Click image for larger version

Name:	SDSS_Arp159.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	3310  Click image for larger version

Name:	SDSS4725.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	3311
Old January 16th 11, 09:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick, this one looks a bit like NGC 520, and I think you have posted a
similar object a while ago. Would be interesting to know if Arp put them in
the same category.

Stefan

ster.com...

Old January 16th 11, 10:32 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

NGC 520 is Arp 157. He ordered them by type so when two numbers are
this close together they may very well be in the same category. That's
the case here. In both he was interested in the interior absorption
features rather than the plumes. Arp 157/NGC 520 is a merger in
progress. Both galaxies can still be seen. This one likely distorted
from its interaction with NGC 4725.

Rick

On 1/16/2011 3:16 PM, Stefan Lilge wrote:
Rick, this one looks a bit like NGC 520, and I think you have posted a
similar object a while ago. Would be interesting to know if Arp put them in
the same category.

Stefan

ster.com...