ASTRO: NGC 317 et al

Old January 17th 08, 09:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: NGC 317 et al

Stefan drew my attention to this one. I didn't expect conditions to
allow me to get it until next year but we had a night of near ice free
conditions that allowed me to work low enough in the sky to get
something. It still is not what it would be under fall conditions
however. The ice does subtract a lot from the faint parts. Think the
long tidal arm would be a lot brighter in the fall.

This is apparently a three galaxy interaction the two in the center and
the face on spiral below them are all at about 70 million light years.
All show some tidal distortions. Of course NGC 317 is the most obvious.
The two centered ones are often labeled as NGC 317A and B. B is
also UGC 593 while the spiral below them is UGC 594 and I saw a few
references referring to it as NGC 317C. Note the blue knot above the
core of B as well as the vertical oval of material, slightly blue, to
the right of A running up to B. I couldn't find anything on these. If
they didn't also show in Stefan's picture I'd wonder if they were real
or not.

UGC 594 looks to me a lot like M51 without the companion, NGC 5195. The
right arm being the one that would go over NGC 5195. The end frayed
blue arm is very similar to the arm of M51 opposite the companion.

Color is a bit noisy as I spent most of my time on the Lum images and it
was getting pretty low by the time I started in on color. I didn't have
time but for one 10 minute shot in each color. Blue is very noisy, that
low much blue is scattered away so I have to really boost the blue to
account for the scattering. I wasn't able to boost it enough however so
it is a bit blue starved. I'd hoped to get some more blue but never had
another night good enough so am going with this.

I do have to remember to try this on a good night next fall.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=7x10' RGB=1x10, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC317_7X10LUM1x10RGB.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	298.1 KB
ID:	1614
Old January 17th 08, 10:44 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
John N. Gretchen III

Beautiful image Rick!

--
John N. Gretchen III
N5JNG NCS304

Old January 19th 08, 04:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Stefan Lilge wrote:

Very good picture. You even got colour data for the faint tail.

Stefan

Very noisy color data but yes, there is some there. Blue extinction was
severe that low in the sky and, without thinking, I took that last
making things even worse. I doubt the color in the tail is very accurate.

Rick