Slip Rings Pix for Observatory?

Old March 26th 13, 01:39 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
W. eWatson[_3_]

Default Slip Rings Pix for Observatory?

Can anyone point me to some pix of slip rings installed in a domed
observatory? I'm trying to figure out how these things work.

My understanding so far is that they provide power to instruments,
motors and shutters. Cables (3 typically) run around the skirt of the
obs, and are apparently in contact with brushes on the inside of the
dome. That somehow allows the shutter motor to operate w/o having a an
A/C cable from the motor to some fixed 120v connector on the skirt. The
shutter motor gets its power some way from the brushes.
Old March 26th 13, 03:53 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Thad Floryan

On 3/25/2013 6:39 PM, W. eWatson wrote:
Can anyone point me to some pix of slip rings installed in a domed
observatory? I'm trying to figure out how these things work.

[...]
Nope. You should have googled the following first:

slip rings installed in a domed observatory

Learn how to ask smart questions:

and how to avoid always being seen as the village idiot:

http://howto-pages.org/posting_style

Back to the killfile you go.
Old March 26th 13, 08:17 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
W. eWatson[_3_]

On 3/25/2013 6:39 PM, W. eWatson wrote:
Can anyone point me to some pix of slip rings installed in a domed
observatory? I'm trying to figure out how these things work.

[...]
Nope. You should have googled the following first:

slip rings installed in a domed observatory

Learn how to ask smart questions:

and how to avoid always being seen as the village idiot:

http://howto-pages.org/posting_style

Back to the killfile you go.

I think you and I have been around long enough on this NG that you
should know I would have done that. They were not helpful. What was
helpful is that I realized I knew someone in my past who had them in his
obs. He explained it all.