Just lucky?

Old May 7th 04, 05:44 PM
Doug...

Default Just lucky?

It seems like the 16mm DACs flown on the Apollo missions all (or mostly
all) had problems at some points during the landing flights. The film
jammed, the sprockets wore through, the tensioning was off -- it seemed
like anything that could go wrong with those movie cameras, did.

Except not ONE of them failed during descent. All of them worked
perfectly during the six landings.

Can you imagine how upset NASA PAO would have been if ANY of the
landings had failed to be recorded on film?

So, y'all think they were just lucky that the DACs never "chose" to fail
during the landings?

Doug

Old May 7th 04, 10:39 PM
Jay Windley

"Doug..." wrote in message

| It seems like the 16mm DACs flown on the Apollo missions all
| (or mostly all) had problems at some points during the landing
| flights.

That's not my impression. There certainly were some problems, but I don't
recall that the problems were especially pervasive or especially compromised
the motion picture coverage. We have a fairly large quantity of 16mm film
from the missions.

| Can you imagine how upset NASA PAO would have been if ANY of the
| landings had failed to be recorded on film?

What's so magical about the landing per se? Why not the takeoff? Or
deploying the flag? Or the Grand Prix? The PAO got over not having Apollo
11 ascent footage until Eagle was already 1,000 feet off the ground.

| So, y'all think they were just lucky that the DACs never "chose"
| to fail during the landings?

No.

--

The universe is not required to conform | Jay Windley
to the expectations of the ignorant. | webmaster @ clavius.org