How much does the way a telescope looks play a role in whether you buy it?

Old February 1st 05, 06:23 PM

Mark wrote:
Mechanical issues ARE important, especially so in the dark when you

are
doing many things more by touch than by sight. Attributes such as

slop
in the focuser, the type and size of the finder, the length of dew
shield and the weight and sturdiness of the mount are very important

having an enjoyable and productive time in the field. Even accessory
trays and transport cases or bags are important when it comes time to
pack up and go home. If you have a hard time packing up or lose
something important while you are out you are less likely to go back.

So it's NOT all about the view through the eyepiece, it's the total
experience. And Yes, there are people who go equipment crazy and

know
LESS about what's in the sky as a result.

Mark

Of course mechanical performance is a relevant issue. I never asked
about that. Perhaps I should have asked: how much do cosmetics count
when buying a telescope. Does the tube being red or blue have any
impact on whether you buy a telescope? Do you need to see the twill
weave to believe your tube is made form carbon fiber or can it be
painted. Is there a difference for you between a flat finish or an
enamel finish. Did you buy a F15 achromat because it "looked like a
REAL telescope".

Chloe

Old February 1st 05, 07:25 PM
Florian

Does the tube being red or blue have any
impact on whether you buy a telescope?

Tele Vue owners have quite strong opinions as to which is=20
best... A green TV or a white TV.

-Florian, white TV76 ;-)

Old February 2nd 05, 01:26 AM

Mark wrote:
Mechanical issues ARE important, especially so in the dark when you

are
doing many things more by touch than by sight. Attributes such as

slop
in the focuser, the type and size of the finder, the length of dew
shield and the weight and sturdiness of the mount are very important

having an enjoyable and productive time in the field. Even accessory
trays and transport cases or bags are important when it comes time to
pack up and go home. If you have a hard time packing up or lose
something important while you are out you are less likely to go back.

So it's NOT all about the view through the eyepiece, it's the total
experience. And Yes, there are people who go equipment crazy and

know
LESS about what's in the sky as a result.

Mark

That's not what I am asking. I know mechanics are as important as
optics. I am wondering about cosmetics. Does it matter if the tube is
red or blue (please no coultier comments)? Did you buy a long focus
refractor because it looked like a "real telescope" etc?

Thanks
Chloe

Old February 2nd 05, 01:50 AM
Sketcher

On 1 Feb 2005 10:23:18 -0800, wrote:

Perhaps I should have asked: how much do cosmetics count
when buying a telescope. Does the tube being red or blue have any
impact on whether you buy a telescope? Do you need to see the twill
weave to believe your tube is made form carbon fiber or can it be
painted. Is there a difference for you between a flat finish or an
enamel finish. Did you buy a F15 achromat because it "looked like a
REAL telescope".

I painted my ST-80. It was white when I bought it. I painted it red
and named it "Little Red Riding Scope". My 5 inch refractor was white
when I bought it. I painted it Chrome Aluminum and named it
"Excalibur". So color is important to me; but it doesn't matter what
color a telescope is when I purchase it. I like to add some kind of
personal touch to make my telescopes "mine".

I consider the type, quality, f-ratio, aperture and functionality of a
telescope before I consider the color and finish; yet cosmetic details
and appearance can and do make some telescopes more attractive than
others. A 6-inch, f/15, brass-tubed, Alvan Clark refractor on a
vintage mount and tripod is tough to ignore. The same could be said
of a yellow Questar 12 on a Byers equatorial or a 5-inch Unitron
Photo-Equatorial refractor. Those were serious looking telescopes!

Yet, I've never purchased one telescope over another on cosmetic
grounds. So I guess you could say a telescope's looks has no bearing
on whether or not I'll buy it.

Sketcher
To sketch is to see.
Old February 3rd 05, 03:35 AM

IMHO
there is a direct correlation between the visual appeal of a telescope
and its resemblance to the defining characteristic of the male anatomy.
Henrietta

Old February 3rd 05, 09:15 PM

This is probably a troll...but I'll bite

So does that mean your into slow f/ratio refractors or big fast f/ratio
dobs?

Man I feel like a total dweeb asking that!

Old February 4th 05, 12:40 AM
Steve Sherman

Florian wrote:
Does the tube being red or blue have any
impact on whether you buy a telescope?

Tele Vue owners have quite strong opinions as to which is
best... A green TV or a white TV.

-Florian, white TV76 ;-)

I have white TV and a green TV. The green one looks exactly like my
Stanley Aladdin Vacuum bottle. They are almost exactly the same size.
It is a problem when I try to look into the eyepiece and it turns
out to be the vacuum bottle, full of hot coffee. For that reason, I
would suggest the color select be based on the size and color of your
vacuum bottle..

Steve

Old February 4th 05, 01:32 AM
Mark

Having never bought a long-focus refractor, I can safely say No. To me
aperture, while maybe not everything, is nearly everything, and high
quality refractors are either expensive or difficult to mount and don't
offer the same return on investment as a Newtonian, Cassegrain or
Maksutov design. This is JMHO and is NOT shared by MANY on this group,
LOL.

I do not consider color to be a big deal, but I have never been
enamored of red telescopes.

Mark

Old February 10th 05, 09:12 PM
starman

Mark wrote:

Having never bought a long-focus refractor, I can safely say No. To me
aperture, while maybe not everything, is nearly everything, and high
quality refractors are either expensive or difficult to mount and don't
offer the same return on investment as a Newtonian, Cassegrain or
Maksutov design. This is JMHO and is NOT shared by MANY on this group,
LOL.

I do not consider color to be a big deal, but I have never been
enamored of red telescopes.

If I got a good deal on a red or orange scope, I would buy it and change
the color to white or dark blue.