Some questions on GR from a layman

Old March 9th 11, 06:39 AM posted to sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics,sci.math,sci.astro
Koobee Wublee

Default Some questions on GR from a layman

On Mar 8, 9:55 am, PD wrote:
On Mar 7, 11:28 pm, Koobee Wublee wrote:
Eric Gisse wrote:

Just take a ball, connect any three points with great circles, and
measure the angles. That's all you gotta do.

You get distorted triangles. shrug

Not at all.

The so-called triangles you can draw on the surface of a sphere is not
true triangles. The ancient Greeks have already shown so. shrug

PD, please try to catch up on 2,500-plus years of mathematics.
shrug
Old March 9th 11, 06:43 AM posted to sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics,sci.math,sci.astro
Koobee Wublee

On Mar 8, 10:13 am, Eric Gisse wrote:
On Mar 8, 9:22 am, Koobee Wublee wrote:

This is a fine example of embracing mysticism among the Einstein
Dingleberries.

Put down the crackpipe. Nobody is talking about Einstein but you.

Hey, you are the one who gets all bent out of shape when Einstein the
nitwit, the plagiarist, and the liar is mentioned. You are the one
who is obsessed whenever Einstein the nitwit, the plagiarist, and the
liar is mentioned. shrug

After producing these identifiable triangles described by simple
Euclidean geometry, the sum of all the angles involved do not add up
to 180 degrees. Duh! Claiming these triangles reside in curved space
is rather stupid. shrug

Such seamless turnabout.

What is it that you don’t understand in the very simple geometry of
triangles? How the hell did they even graduate you from high school,
college dropout?

Old March 9th 11, 06:47 AM posted to sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics,sci.math,sci.astro
Sam Wormley[_2_]

On 3/9/11 12:39 AM, Koobee Wublee wrote:
The so-called triangles you can draw on the surface of a sphere is not
true triangles. The ancient Greeks have already shown so.shrug

Background for Koobee
Quantum Man: Richard Feynman's Life in Science

The sum of angles in a triangle is 180° or π radians (at least in
Euclidean geometry; this statement does not hold in non-Euclidean
geometry).
Old March 9th 11, 06:48 AM posted to sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics,sci.math,sci.astro
Sam Wormley[_2_]

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Triangle.html

Old March 9th 11, 07:22 AM posted to sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics,sci.math,sci.astro
Eric Gisse

On Mar 8, 10:43*pm, Koobee Wublee wrote:
On Mar 8, 10:13 am, Eric Gisse wrote:

On Mar 8, 9:22 am, Koobee Wublee wrote:
This is a fine example of embracing mysticism among the Einstein
Dingleberries.

Put down the crackpipe. Nobody is talking about Einstein but you.

Hey, you are the one who gets all bent out of shape when Einstein the
nitwit, the plagiarist, and the liar is mentioned. *You are the one
who is obsessed whenever Einstein the nitwit, the plagiarist, and the
liar is mentioned. *shrug

After producing these identifiable triangles described by simple
Euclidean geometry, the sum of all the angles involved do not add up
to 180 degrees. *Duh! *Claiming these triangles reside in curved space
is rather stupid. *shrug

Such seamless turnabout.

What is it that you don’t understand in the very simple geometry of
triangles? *

Triangles on spherical surfaces don't have interior angles that add up
to 180, despite your protests otherwise.

How the hell did they even graduate you from high school,
college dropout?

Think whatever you want of my education. A piece of paper won't make
you respect me.
Old March 9th 11, 08:00 AM posted to sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics,sci.math,sci.astro
Koobee Wublee

On Mar 8, 10:47 pm, Sam Wormley wrote:
On 3/9/11 12:39 AM, Koobee Wublee wrote:

Why double posting? Too much caffeine? Or just about to be driven
off the cliff from the darkside of science?

The so-called triangles you can draw on the surface of a sphere is not
true triangles. The ancient Greeks have already shown so.shrug

Background for Koobee
Quantum Man: Richard Feynman's Life in Science

This is a discussion of science not some biography of a self-styled
physicist, OK? shrug

The sum of angles in a triangle is 180° or π radians (at least in
Euclidean geometry; this statement does not hold in non-Euclidean
geometry).

And yours truly is not denying that. It is the Einstein Dingleberries
who are bringing up non-triangles that don’t add to 2 pi to justify
the significance of curved space. Yours truly maintains that you
cannot tell you are in curved space since how curved up space is is
all relative. This is the same reason why the FitzGerald-Lorentz
contraction of SR is not detectable. shrug
Old March 9th 11, 08:28 AM posted to sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics,sci.math,sci.astro
hanson

"Koobee Wublee" wrote:
Polemic Eric Gisse wrote:
snip Erice's dropout crap

KW wrote:
Erice, What is it that you don’t understand in the very
simple geometry of triangles? How the hell did they
even graduate you from high school, college dropout?

The so-called triangles you can draw on the surface of a sphere is not
true triangles. The ancient Greeks have already shown so. shrug

hanson wrote:
Let me repeat your epic and operative 2-liner above
for the benefit of all those Einstein Dingleberries:

Old March 9th 11, 09:49 AM posted to sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics,sci.math,sci.astro
Eric Gisse

Eric Gisse wrote:
Just take a ball, connect any three points with great circles, and
measure the angles. That's all you gotta do.

You get distorted triangles. *shrug

Not at all.

The so-called triangles you can draw on the surface of a sphere is not
true triangles. *The ancient Greeks have already shown so. *shrug

PD, please try to catch up on 2,500-plus years of mathematics.
shrug

Why not? Can you identify which of Euclid's proofs fail for the
surface of a sphere?

Old March 9th 11, 02:41 PM posted to sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics,sci.math,sci.astro
PD

Eric Gisse wrote:
Just take a ball, connect any three points with great circles, and
measure the angles. That's all you gotta do.

You get distorted triangles. *shrug

Not at all.

The so-called triangles you can draw on the surface of a sphere is not
true triangles.

As I've just explained, that is simply an incorrect statement. A
triangle is a three-straight-sided polygon in a 2D space. The case
mentioned (and which you've snipped) is exactly that.

*The ancient Greeks have already shown so. *shrug

No, they didn't.

PD, please try to catch up on 2,500-plus years of mathematics.
shrug

Exactly. Some stuff has been done since the ancient Greeks, which you
probably need to catch up on.

a few questions Steve Trellert Misc 14 January 20th 09 01:13 PM
Layman wants to learn Michael Misc 3 September 30th 06 09:39 PM
Just got a G-11 and have some questions Craig M. Bobchin Amateur Astronomy 7 July 19th 06 06:34 AM
TV-76 questions Wayfaring Stranger Amateur Astronomy 22 June 21st 06 06:46 AM
Question from a Layman Gary Research 14 June 26th 05 07:56 AM