Working Hand In Glove

Old February 27th 04, 07:47 AM
Pat Flannery

Default Working Hand In Glove

Derek Lyons wrote:

I dunno. (In maritime usage 'conning' and 'piloting' are different
functions, but the exact differences always eluded me.) The OOD (of a
ship) usually has the Deck and the Conn, unless we were maneuvering in
or out of restricted waters (read - port), in which case we stationed
a Conning Officer, while the OOD retained the Deck.

From what I've read, piloting would be done by someone who was brought
aboard the vessel - aboard a _pilot boat_ of course- with specific
knowledge of the port to be entered and any hazards it presented
(currents, shoals, wrecks, etc.), who would then either personally take
the vessel into port, or advise the helmsman on what maneuvers to make
on his way to dock....when you docked at a non-U.S.Navy controlled
port... if you ever did- I can't really see a boomer doing this due to
security concerns... did they ever send out a individual to give advice
on how to approach dock?

Pat

Old February 27th 04, 07:57 AM
Pat Flannery

Derek Lyons wrote:

P.S. I'm not sure he used it for in-system voyages, but RAH like the
term "ASTROGATOR" for the person in charge of finding the course of
the vessel.

Not so different from Naval/Maritime usage. The CO gives the order
'set course for', the Navigator determines the actual course.

Roger Manning was the astrogator on the Solar Guard spaceship "Polaris"
in the old "Tom Corbett- Space Cadet" book series. Roger handled
navigation in space; Tom was the _pilot_ of the Polaris, and did the
actual steering of the ship, IIRC.

Pat

Old February 27th 04, 05:00 PM
Derek Lyons

Pat Flannery wrote:

Derek Lyons wrote:
I dunno. (In maritime usage 'conning' and 'piloting' are different
functions, but the exact differences always eluded me.) The OOD (of a
ship) usually has the Deck and the Conn, unless we were maneuvering in
or out of restricted waters (read - port), in which case we stationed
a Conning Officer, while the OOD retained the Deck.

From what I've read, piloting would be done by someone who was brought
aboard the vessel - aboard a _pilot boat_ of course- with specific
knowledge of the port to be entered and any hazards it presented
(currents, shoals, wrecks, etc.), who would then either personally take
the vessel into port, or advise the helmsman on what maneuvers to make
on his way to dock...

Certainly. But that's what conning a ship s as well, issuing orders
to the Helm.

.when you docked at a non-U.S.Navy controlled
port... if you ever did- I can't really see a boomer doing this due to
security concerns... did they ever send out a individual to give advice
on how to approach dock?

Ayup. You always take a pilot onboard when entering or leaving port.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.