Hello again, any interesting sights from where I stand?

Old August 1st 04, 05:51 PM
Atreju

Default Hello again, any interesting sights from where I stand?

Dear all,

It's been a while since I posted here. Work has kept me quite busy.

I finally got a permit for a public park not too far from home. It
took me only 3 years! The Parks Department of New York City is
extremely difficult to deal with, but I finally got sick of
application after application, and I marched right into the office and
said I'm not leaving without the permit. After being sent over to one
of the head people there, he was extremely nice and printed me out a
permit right there.

So, I was wondering if anyone can recommend any good sights to see.
Keep in mind, I'm in New York, where there is very bad seeing, even in
the best places. I'll be viewing with a Meade ETX 90. Not much, but
it's convenient.

Any interesting things to look out for in then next couple of months?

I will definitely be making a trip, withouth my scope, to watch the
Persieds if my schedule permits. Definitely looking forward to that.
Can someone tell me when the best night and time will be for this
event? I would even travel and make a night of it if the weather is
good.

Well, other than that, I just wanted to pop in and say hi to all and
wish you all clear, dark skies always.

PS - it's raining here as usual.

---Atreju---
Old August 1st 04, 06:13 PM
Phil Wheeler

Atreju wrote:
Dear all,

It's been a while since I posted here. Work has kept me quite busy.

I finally got a permit for a public park not too far from home. It
took me only 3 years! The Parks Department of New York City is
extremely difficult to deal with, but I finally got sick of
application after application, and I marched right into the office and
said I'm not leaving without the permit. After being sent over to one
of the head people there, he was extremely nice and printed me out a
permit right there.

A permit for (to do) what?

Phil

Old August 1st 04, 10:28 PM
Atreju

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 17:13:26 GMT, Phil Wheeler
wrote:

Atreju wrote:
Dear all,

It's been a while since I posted here. Work has kept me quite busy.

I finally got a permit for a public park not too far from home. It
took me only 3 years! The Parks Department of New York City is
extremely difficult to deal with, but I finally got sick of
application after application, and I marched right into the office and
said I'm not leaving without the permit. After being sent over to one
of the head people there, he was extremely nice and printed me out a
permit right there.

A permit for (to do) what?

Phil

Ah, sorry. Basically, you have to have a permit to be in the park
after dusk. I had paid for a permit 3 years ago and they were supposed
to send it to me. Never happened. However, since I had paid, I began
using the park without the permit. Once in a while the Park Police
would question me but I told them what had happened and they just told
me not to stay too long. But then one day the Park Police gave me a
ticket for $50. They said they didn't care that I had paid for the
permit, that without the paper, I get a ticket.

That is what prompted me to go back and pursue getting the papers
necessary. They finally accomodated me a few weeks ago.

---Atreju---