ASTRO: first CCD image??

Old April 8th 08, 11:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

Default ASTRO: first CCD image??

I guess it's lost in the mists of time, but the attached image of M-51 is
certainly one of the first CCD images I took in March or April 1993. This
was probably about a 5 minute exposure. It was done with an SBIG ST-6 (still
works!!) and the same scope I still take most of my images with, the
Kopernik Obs's OGS 20-inch F/8 RC Cass.

I suppose that I could improve this with more "modern" processing methods.

George N

Attached Images
File Type: jpg m51-1.jpg (7.5 KB, 86 views)
Old April 9th 08, 06:05 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_3_]

George Normandin wrote:
I guess it's lost in the mists of time, but the attached image of M-51 is
certainly one of the first CCD images I took in March or April 1993. This
was probably about a 5 minute exposure. It was done with an SBIG ST-6 (still
works!!) and the same scope I still take most of my images with, the
Kopernik Obs's OGS 20-inch F/8 RC Cass.

I suppose that I could improve this with more "modern" processing methods.

George N

Makes my first shot of M46 and a hint of the planetary look rather sick.

But I did take M51 in early May of 2006 only a couple weeks after the
M46 shot and by then I was getting the knack of it. This is the ST-7
with the 6" f/4 that can't hold collimation for 5 minutes. Secondary is
too heavy for the spider and nearly deceased upper end of fiberglass
tube. It was processed only with AIM4Windows and Photoshop Elements
V1.0 using Fits Liberator plug in that isn't supposed to work with
version 1.0, only 2.0 and later. Menus don't work right but you can make
it work.

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version