Formative years space books

Old September 22nd 03, 08:47 PM
Dave Kenworthy

Default Formative years space books

While rooting through a charity shop today I came across a bunch of 'How
and Why Wonder Books' - one of which was 'Planets and interplanetary
travel'. I wonder if there are any other sshers for whom this particular
book invokes such nostalgic feelings?

--
Dave Kenworthy
-----------------------------

Old September 23rd 03, 02:46 AM
Rocky Top

"Darren J Longhorn" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 19:47:44 +0000 (UTC), "Dave Kenworthy"
wrote:

While rooting through a charity shop today I came across a bunch of 'How
and Why Wonder Books' - one of which was 'Planets and interplanetary
travel'. I wonder if there are any other sshers for whom this particular
book invokes such nostalgic feelings?

Got that! My mum found it recently and brought it round. Must have
been 25 years since I last read it. She also brought "STARS" from the
same series. Odd name - there are a few planets in there too.

For me it was the "Science Service" books. I had a subscription.
However, I found it a bit tedious to have to glue in the color photos.
I always wished they came already in place. I do have fond
recollections of doing it though. I still have a couple on my book-
shelf.

~RT

Old September 23rd 03, 06:38 AM
OM

wrote:

While rooting through a charity shop today I came across a bunch of 'How
and Why Wonder Books' - one of which was 'Planets and interplanetary
travel'. I wonder if there are any other sshers for whom this particular
book invokes such nostalgic feelings?

Got that! My mum found it recently and brought it round. Must have
been 25 years since I last read it. She also brought "STARS" from the
same series. Odd name - there are a few planets in there too.

....This came up last year. My own is the original printing of _You
Will Go To The Moon_, which I pointed out is, contrary what Langston
Hughes would like us to believe, is the *true* "dream deferred" for
all Americans. We should *all* be going to the Moon, if not at least
into LEO by now. The only saving grace to it all is that I know deep
down that every politician who voted against space funding in any way,
shape or form, is either roasting in Hell under the exhaust of
eternally firing F-1's, or will eventually wind up there.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old September 23rd 03, 07:51 AM
Matthew Ota

Yeah I remember those. They were great and were instrumental in getting
me interested in science.

Matthew Ota

Old September 23rd 03, 11:52 AM
Pat Flannery

Dave Kenworthy wrote:

While rooting through a charity shop today I came across a bunch of 'How
and Why Wonder Books' - one of which was 'Planets and interplanetary
travel'. I wonder if there are any other sshers for whom this particular
book invokes such nostalgic feelings?

OH YEAH! I've still got four volumes of the collected "How and Why"
series on my bookshelf...though these are only the later revised
editions of The Great Work, where they marginally revised the originals
to keep sales of the the books possible in a rapidly advancing
technology... in fact, I have just gone to the bookshelf in question...
and now I have these collected volumes under my left hand as I type
this; and thank God that these revisions did not extend to any changes
to the inside covers of these holy tomes..where still the white-on-blue
illustrations of the knowledge they contain is kept ever fresh...like
the tearful nostalgia of myself in regards to them.
Once again I see the Brontosaurus, the upward tilted wind vane, Earth
hovering in the void with clouds at around 10,000 miles altitude, a big
fish, a horseshoe magnet attracting iron filings, a kangaroo, and a
ascending rocket... these comprise but the first row of the dreams that
were such an absolute joy to my youth. I'm not even going to talk about
the profound emotional feelings that the Swallowtail butterfly, test
tube and beaker, quartz crystal, rabbit, planets, fern, frog, gears,
bird, seashell, giraffe, bumblebee, turtle, eclipse, snowflake,
jellyfish, belt-drive reduction gear, light bulb, duck, and pterodactyl
inspire in me; as I've had a bit to drink, and just got a little weepy
watching "Contact"- and frankly a one-two nostalgia/philosophically
romantic punch like this is a bit much to take in in my aged and drunken
years..still, the best cover of them all for the individual books was
that green-tinted one of the bathyscaph "Trieste" closing in on the 1000
foot wide octopus on top of the deep-sea sea mount; if that wasn't worth
spending 35 cents on- then what was? I informed my father of this
profound logical insight in the local Woolworth store at around 7:30 PM
on a Monday night back around 1963...and for the sake of shutting me up,
he agreed.
He was a wise and foresighted man...
God Bless The How And Why Wonder Books!

All drunk and weepy
Pat

Old September 23rd 03, 07:20 PM
Mike Flugennock

"Dave Kenworthy" wrote in message ...
While rooting through a charity shop today I came across a bunch of 'How
and Why Wonder Books' - one of which was 'Planets and interplanetary
travel'. I wonder if there are any other sshers for whom this particular
book invokes such nostalgic feelings?

Whoa! Right _here_!

I outgrew those really quickly, though, and by about nine or ten I was
already into the Time-Life Science Series books, especially the
"Universe" volume, along with building the Revell Gemini/Titan and
Apollo/Saturn models (and, oddly enough, WWII-era fighters).

--
"All over, people changing their roles,
along with their overcoats;
Old September 23rd 03, 09:19 PM
carmine9

Arthur C. Clark's "Man and Space" was fascinating!
Also, remember the "Weekly Readers"? They regularly featured space
stuff and I can remember their coverage of the then upcoming ASTP and
their mention of a Hollywood movie (Marooned) being in part
responsible (supposedly) for planting the seed for a joint mission to
demonstrate rescue capability...I can still see Gene Hackman on the
cover floating in his jetpack with the S-IVB lab in the background.
Neat stuff to a 11 year old (or a 40 year old for that matter!). I
then stumbled upon a paperback copy of the book and ate it up (the
first "book" I ever read cover to cover!)
Space explorartion in that era just seemed to spark so many young
minds in that way...Not the same today, sadly
Old September 24th 03, 01:31 AM
Scott Hedrick

"Andre Lieven" wrote in message
Then, theres more fun in finding a copy of the original printings
of Marooned, put our well before the movie project came to pass,
where the ship that gets stuck in orbit is a Mercury, and the
rescue craft is a Gemini...

I have a higly tattered paperback of that, which I found at a flea market.
I've read it three times. I'm afraid to read it again. The appendix is
highly informative.

I managed to hunt down where Caidin lived in Gainesville, Florida, about 2
months after he moved His neighbor was Dick Lattimer, who wrote "All we
did was FLY TO THE MOON".

I've never read the other versions of Marooned, though the movie was
interesting enough.
--
If you have had problems with Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC),
please contact shredder at bellsouth dot net. There may be a class-action

---

Old September 24th 03, 04:09 AM
Andre Lieven

"Scott Hedrick" ) writes:
"Andre Lieven" wrote in message
Then, theres more fun in finding a copy of the original printings
of Marooned, put our well before the movie project came to pass,
where the ship that gets stuck in orbit is a Mercury, and the
rescue craft is a Gemini...

I have a higly tattered paperback of that, which I found at a flea market.
I've read it three times. I'm afraid to read it again. The appendix is
highly informative.

I know the feeling. My copy of the older version isn't the most mint
condition book I own...

I managed to hunt down where Caidin lived in Gainesville, Florida, about 2
months after he moved His neighbor was Dick Lattimer, who wrote "All we
did was FLY TO THE MOON".

Missed him by *that* much...

I've never read the other versions of Marooned, though the movie was
interesting enough.

Its good. Its the film, with added stuff, as most books have more
in them then movies made from them.

Andre

--
" I'm a man... But, I can change... If I have to... I guess. "
The Man Prayer, Red Green.