first ccd image

Old April 6th 08, 07:08 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
John N. Gretchen III

Default first ccd image

12/19/1999
13.1" DOB.
1X6SEC.
CWIP12A
--
John N. Gretchen III
N5JNG NCS304

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m42i1999.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	1827
Old April 6th 08, 09:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_3_]

John N. Gretchen III wrote:

12/19/1999
13.1" DOB.
1X6SEC.
CWIP12A

You have it on a drive platform I assume. They now make them that have
dual axis correction same as a standard equatorial mount. Not sure how
well they work.

Rick

Old April 8th 08, 11:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote

You have it on a drive platform I assume. They now make them that have
dual axis correction same as a standard equatorial mount. Not sure how
well they work.

Rick, et al:

Although I have no experience with imaging with an alt/az Dob I have seen
some pretty good work from those using them - or at least StellarCat
equipped Dob's. If you limit your imaging to the part of the sky with little
field rotation you can get 30 to 60 second exposures and just align them.
The StellarCat system will control the only field de-rotator that I know of
(actually it will control any stepper motor activated de-rotator), and it
will also take direct tracking input from SBIG cameras just like a GEM will.
I've seen good images with a Meade camera and Obsession 15 without using a
de-rotator, and I've seen great images from an Obsession 25 with a new UTA
that has a field de-rotator, focuser, and camera suspended in place of the
secondary mirror. In this case the owner was using an SBIG AO-7 in addition
to the guider input into the StellarCat. In his first image, when he did not
know what he was doing, he went about 30 minutes on an exposure (on a
25-inch!!!) and of course it was way overexposed - but it was accurately
tracked with nice round stars. He says that the biggest problem he has is
collimation since he can't look thru the scope and the Obsession was never
designed to hold all of that weight on the nose end.

George N

Old April 7th 08, 08:09 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Well, here's mine: Comet Hykutake on April 2 in 1996 with my first CCD, an
OES LCCCD14SC, which hat 16 micron square pixels (in a whopping 386x290
pixel array), 30% peak QE and horrible dark current in spite of peltier
cooling. Don't know which lens I used, but I can see in the header that it
was a ten second exposure.

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hya1996Apr02.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	1834

First Canon 300D image (M42) M42.bmp [01/17] (Extra image information) Boris[_2_] Astro Pictures 0 February 25th 08 02:53 PM
About Astronomy image. Are they not Computer graphic image? Red Cloud Misc 3 February 13th 08 03:13 PM
ASTRO: OT Residual Bulk Image: its root cause and the best known method for curing it: and a comment about Thermal Diffusion image smear Richard Crisp[_1_] Astro Pictures 0 January 19th 08 06:30 PM
M81 image Gianluca Astronomy Misc 2 December 27th 06 12:24 AM
M31 Image Chris Taylor UK Astronomy 4 August 26th 05 08:52 AM