ASTRO: Flame Nebula NGC 1977

Old January 31st 07, 10:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Flame Nebula NGC 1977

This shot gives a whole new meaning to reflection "nebula"!

With a big bright moon nearby I decided to try the H-alpha filter on the
Flame. I quickly discovered I hate Alnitak (Zeta Orionis). No matter
what I did it put nasty reflections in the image. Put it out of the
field and they were really bad unless it was so far out so was much of
the nebula. Put it in the field and they wiped out most of the western
half. I finally found if I cut off the "top" of the nebula I could
minimize the damage. I even waited until it was west of the meridian
and thus the camera upside down to see if that helped. Not much if any
-- it was still pretty bad. This was the best I could do. I have no
idea what is causing the overlarge donut reflections. Even a slight
movement of the FOV caused them to multiply and brighten greatly.

14" LX200R@F/10, 2x30 minutes H-alpha binned 2x2, STL-11000M, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flame2x30Ha67%.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	406
Old February 1st 07, 09:11 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Hucom Saavi-Meitrel

Rick Johnson wrote:

[...]

What is the circular dark object in the lower right hand corner?

Old February 1st 07, 04:33 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George[_1_]

"Hucom Saavi-Meitrel" wrote in message

Rick Johnson wrote:

[...]

Those are the reflections he was referring to, I suspect.

George

Old February 1st 07, 05:21 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

--

What is the circular dark object in the lower right hand corner?

George is right. The reflections make dozens of out of far out of focus
images of Alnitak. In a reflector those are bright donuts with dark
holes where the secondary is. Higher in the image they overlap so they
are just a mass of fog looking something like the nebula itself except
they move and multiply with only a slight movement of the scope. Low
you see individual reflections with little overlap. The sky in that
area would be as dark as the hole if not for the reflections.

Rick

Old February 2nd 07, 02:57 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote

Great image Rick!

It makes me want to go back and re-do this object with a focal reducer.
Here's my 10 minute exposure (full spectrum, with poor collimation):
http://www.kopernik.org/images/archive/n2024.htm

George N

Old February 2nd 07, 07:35 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

George Normandin wrote:

"Rick Johnson" wrote

Great image Rick!

It makes me want to go back and re-do this object with a focal reducer.
Here's my 10 minute exposure (full spectrum, with poor collimation):
http://www.kopernik.org/images/archive/n2024.htm

George N

I don't know what the source of all those reflections is. Just started
so something has changed, I just don't know what. I'm seeing it on any
bright star lately. Just suddenly happened.

Link didn't work for some reason. Got the webpage but the picture was
broken.
Rick

Old February 2nd 07, 07:50 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Make that NGC 2024.
I had crossed brain cells when I called it 1977. I am still processing
the Running Man. Will post it when I get it finished. No reflection
problem with it!

Sorry for the mix-up. I can get new memory for the computer but for me
new memory chips are hard to come by. I seem to be an obsolete model.

Rick