[Humour]: People actually said these things

Old May 26th 05, 12:07 AM
Wally Anglesea™

Default [Humour]: People actually said these things

Thought I'd put up some astronomically related strange questions and
statements

"If it's so dangerous to look at the eclipse, then why are they having
one at all?" (caller to a radio program prior to the 2002 eclipse,
Ceduna, Australia)

"Is it safe to play golf during the eclipse, I mean, won't I lose my
balls?" Asked of an astronomer at Bombala, for the eclipse in 1976

"How do you manage to take pictures of the sun during the day? Isn't
it too bright?" An email to yours truly.

"If there are no aliens, why can't NASA show us pictures of them not
being?" (apocryphal, but I've been told this and asked similar
questions so many times I can believe it)

"It's obvious the Earth is flat, otherwise the people on the bottom
would fall off into space" Said to an astronomer in 2001 in the UK.
This was NOT said as a joke....

"Isn't it too dangerous to have 2 comets in the sky at the same time?"
Asked of yours truly in 2004.

Anyone got some more?

..
--

Find out about Australia's most dangerous Doomsday Cult:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/wanglese/pebble.htm

"You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down."
Old May 26th 05, 01:21 AM
Anthony Ayiomamitis

Wally,

Thanks for these gems ... they will be added very shortly to my list at
http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-Jokes.html ....

Anthony.

.

Old May 26th 05, 01:55 AM
Wally Anglesea™

On Thu, 26 May 2005 03:21:09 +0300, Anthony Ayiomamitis
wrote:

Wally,

Thanks for these gems ... they will be added very shortly to my list at
http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-Jokes.html ....

ROFL, you have a wealth of material there. Thanks, and feel free to
add these gems.

Anthony.

Wally Anglesea™ wrote:

[...]

Astronomy pages:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/wanglese...Astronomy.html

"You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down."
Old May 26th 05, 02:20 PM
RMOLLISE

Wally Anglesea=99 wrote:

"If it's so dangerous to look at the eclipse, then why are they having
one at all?" (caller to a radio program prior to the 2002 eclipse,
Ceduna, Australia)

"Is it safe to play golf during the eclipse, I mean, won't I lose my
balls?" Asked of an astronomer at Bombala, for the eclipse in 1976

"How do you manage to take pictures of the sun during the day? Isn't
it too bright?" An email to yours truly.

"If there are no aliens, why can't NASA show us pictures of them not
being?" (apocryphal, but I've been told this and asked similar
questions so many times I can believe it)

"It's obvious the Earth is flat, otherwise the people on the bottom
would fall off into space" Said to an astronomer in 2001 in the UK.
This was NOT said as a joke....

"Isn't it too dangerous to have 2 comets in the sky at the same time?"
Asked of yours truly in 2004.

Oh yeah. One Astronomy Day at the local mall a guy walks up to me:

"Hey! Maybe you can answer a question that's been bothering me for a
long time. I know they say the Earth is a ball. What _I_ want to know
is do we live on the _outside_ or _inside_ of the ball?"

No foolin' ;-).

Peace,
Rod Mollise
Like SCTs and MCTs?
Check-out sct-user, the mailing list for CAT fanciers!
Goto http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html

Old May 26th 05, 04:42 PM
William Foley

I used to take constellation pictures by mounting my Vitessa L camera on my
EQ scope and using the slow-motion controls to follow the stars. Someone
asked me if I used a flash for the star photos.
Bill

Old May 26th 05, 04:50 PM
DT

Wally Anglesea wrote
Anyone got some more?

Not so much astronomical as gravitational, but this may qualify.
A friend said to me, while shrouded in mist at the top of a small
mountain, 'it's hard to know which way is up when it's like this'.
I said 'as long as your feet are standing on something...'
He said 'why? Is that up?'

Maybe Darwin is wrong....

Denis
--
DT
change nospam: n o s p a m
Old May 26th 05, 06:55 PM
Brian Tung

Rod Mollise wrote:
Oh yeah. One Astronomy Day at the local mall a guy walks up to me:

"Hey! Maybe you can answer a question that's been bothering me for a
long time. I know they say the Earth is a ball. What _I_ want to know
is do we live on the _outside_ or _inside_ of the ball?"

No foolin' ;-).

Someone's been reading a bit too much Edgar Rice Burroughs, I imagine.

Brian Tung
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.txt
Old May 26th 05, 07:32 PM
Howard Lester

Maybe Darwin is wrong....

OTOH... a number of years ago I was hiking in the mountains by Tucson, and a
fellow of about age 40 was walking toward me, accompanied by a teenage girl.
He looked at me and asked, "Do you know Kepler's Laws?"

After I recovered myself from the shock, I proceeded to draw them in the
dirt with a stick...

Howard Lester

Old May 26th 05, 08:02 PM
Chris L Peterson

On Wed, 25 May 2005 23:07:39 GMT, Wally Anglesea™
wrote:

Thought I'd put up some astronomically related strange questions and
statements...

Very amusing... and a little sad.

But number three is sort of interesting:

"How do you manage to take pictures of the sun during the day? Isn't
it too bright?" An email to yours truly.

This is funny if you consider the alternative to taking pictures of the
Sun during the _day_, of course. But other than the curious wording, it
is actually a pretty good question. Most people aren't familiar with
solar filters, but may know what happens to a photograph when the Sun is
in it. If someone asked me this question, I'd give them the benefit of
the doubt and assume they were really just asking how to take a picture
of something as bright as the Sun.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old May 26th 05, 08:25 PM
Paul S. Walsh

Speaking of which, here is a very nice primer on Kepler's laws for those who
are unfamiliar with them or, like me, who might need to brush up on the
third one :-)

http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr161/l...ry/kepler.html

-Paul S. Walsh

"Howard Lester" wrote in message
Maybe Darwin is wrong....

OTOH... a number of years ago I was hiking in the mountains by Tucson, and
fellow of about age 40 was walking toward me, accompanied by a teenage
girl.
He looked at me and asked, "Do you know Kepler's Laws?"

After I recovered myself from the shock, I proceeded to draw them in the
dirt with a stick...

Howard Lester

The Sad Story of a Space Scientist Chris SETI 1 May 16th 05 03:08 PM
All technology outdated betalimit Policy 0 September 20th 04 03:41 PM
Apollo 16 Captures Photo of UFO near Moon Mad Scientist Misc 61 August 24th 04 04:17 AM
Pres. Kerry's NASA ed kyle Policy 354 March 11th 04 08:05 PM
UFO Activities from Biblical Times (LONG TEXT) Kazmer Ujvarosy SETI 2 December 25th 03 08:33 PM