Moon Water

Old January 13th 04, 09:33 PM
drdoody

Default Moon Water

But don't misunderstand me. I think we should send an ice hunting probe

the moon. I was very disappointed when the deliberate crashing of the
Lunar Prospector into the pole didn't turn anything up. But NASA will

have
to shoehorn it into their perpetually underfunded budget for planetary
science.

Was it supposed to scream:"WATER!! I SEE WATER!!" just before it hit?

Just kidding.

Doc

--
"I'm at peace
with my lust.

Pearl Jam "Do the Evolution"

Old January 13th 04, 10:44 PM
Ian Stirling

drdoody wrote:

But don't misunderstand me. I think we should send an ice hunting probe

the moon. I was very disappointed when the deliberate crashing of the
Lunar Prospector into the pole didn't turn anything up. But NASA will

have
to shoehorn it into their perpetually underfunded budget for planetary
science.

Was it supposed to scream:"WATER!! I SEE WATER!!" just before it hit?

No, just after.

The 'dying gasp' science was an attempt to detect water in the spectra
(from earth) just after an impact into a crater that was hoped to contain
water.
Old January 14th 04, 02:07 PM
Henry Spencer

In article ,
Hobbs aka McDaniel wrote:
I'm all for exploring Mars but I am curious why NASA put
so much effort into looking for old water on Mars and no
effort into using robot explorers to confirm reports of
water on the moon. Any ideas?

A combination of the interest in life on Mars (understanding the history
of Mars's water better would help tell us where to look for signs of past
or present life), major unsolved scientific puzzles of Mars's geological
history, and the "been there, done that" feeling which has made NASA
reluctant to do more lunar missions.

Finally, don't be misled: some of the emphasis on Martian water is
press-release hype, an officially-decreed central theme for unmanned Mars
exploration.
--
MOST launched 30 June; science observations running | Henry Spencer
since Oct; first surprises seen; papers pending. |
Old January 14th 04, 02:12 PM
Henry Spencer

In article ,
Parallax wrote:
You would think that a sample return mission from the areas containing
lunar ice would be one of the most interesting possible missions. The
ice deposited by comets would reveal the constituency of comets
showing what organic molecules are present.

Unfortunately, if the most popular theory about the nature of the hydrogen
deposits is true, it's not a direct sample of cometary material -- it's
condensed from the vapor resulting after comet hits elsewhere on the Moon.
So the information about comets would be rather limited.

Furthermore, mapping the
extent of the ice might show how much of this very valueable resource
is available.

True. However, this is actually fairly difficult. Lunar Prospector did
about all that can reasonably be done from orbit... and the problem with
doing mapping on the ground is that it takes so long to cover the
territory.

You would think such a mission would be easy compared to working on Mars.

It's surprisingly hard. The topography of the cold-trap areas is poorly
known, the environment is colder than even the Martian surface, there is
no solar power available, and communication with Earth is difficult.
Old January 14th 04, 06:23 PM
Mike Combs

"McLean1382" wrote in message

So water is water, but Martian water is more interesting to Biologists.

Whereas lunar water might be more interesting to entrepreneurs.

--

Regards,
Mike Combs

Gerard O'Neill - "The High Frontier"

Old January 15th 04, 04:02 AM
Henry Spencer

In article ,
Hobbs aka McDaniel wrote:
We don't know that the moon was always barren.

We're pretty sure. There isn't even water of hydration chemically bound
in the rocks; indeed, all volatile elements are badly depleted. The Moon
was thoroughly baked very early in its history (during its formation, by
current theory), and it has never had significant amounts of water since.
Nor is there any chemical indication of it ever having had an atmosphere.