30 Year Astronomical Events

Old January 7th 05, 02:26 AM
Gary

Default 30 Year Astronomical Events

Curious question,

Are there any natural astronomical events that happen this year that
also happened 30 years ago? Natural as in comets, planetary or other.

Old January 7th 05, 02:38 AM
Bill Nunnelee

Saturn's orbital period is 29.42 years, so its location along the ecliptic
as well as the orientation of its rings would be quite similar.

Old January 7th 05, 07:02 PM
mrtsp91

"Gary" wrote in message
Curious question,

Are there any natural astronomical events that happen this year

that
also happened 30 years ago? Natural as in comets, planetary or

other.

The January issue Sky & Telescope points out that Saturn passes thru
it's ascending node on January 9 for the first time in 30 years and
will be north of the ecliptic until 2020. Also Saturn reaches
opposition on January 13. Because of the close proximity of these two
events a theoretical observer on Saturn would see a Transit of Earth
across the Sun! Would the Moon also be seen transiting the Sun? I'm
wondering what software currently available would be able to animate
this? The Sky? Redshift?

Since I'm not going to be on Saturn on that date I would like to see
this happen even if by animation only.

Cool!

Old January 7th 05, 07:19 PM
mrtsp91

Just found this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transit...th_from_Saturn

Old January 7th 05, 10:44 PM
Tom Rankin

Celestia will do it.

--
Tom Rankin - Programmer by day, amateur astronomer by night!
Mid-Hudson Astronomy Association - http://mhaa.whodeanie.com

When replying, remove the capital letters from my email address.