Red Stars

Old February 7th 04, 12:32 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Default Red Stars

We know 90% of the stars in our galaxy are the same as our sun. We know
they can last 10 billion years. When they have used up all atoms that
can keep their fusion core going they create iron atoms,and that can't
be fused. That begs the question is it this iron that causes it to turn
red and expand out hundreds of millions of miles? If they are 90% of
all stars in our galaxy and not to many red giants do we see,Can we then
assume that sun like stars were born close to the same time?(medium star
burst spacetime) Seems from this we can tell the
history of galaxies. Galaxies with 90% of red giants older than the
Milky Way. Galaxies with 90% of white dwarfs older than red giant
galaxies etc Bert.

Old February 7th 04, 01:01 PM
onegod

I dont think it is iron.... It is helium that is created in fusion and less
efficient in creating more. My guess is that helium traps/convert some
energy thus stars become red giant.

Old February 7th 04, 03:10 PM
John Zinni

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
We know 90% of the stars in our galaxy are the same as our sun. We know
they can last 10 billion years. When they have used up all atoms that
can keep their fusion core going they create iron atoms,and that can't
be fused.

"Stars less massive than about 4M(Sun) never develop the necessary central
pressures or temperatures to ignite thermonuclear reactions that use carbon
or oxygen as fuel. Instead, as we have seen, the process of mass ejection
just strips away the star's outer layers and leave behind the hot
carbon-oxygen core. With no thermonuclear reactions taking place, the core
simply cools down like a dying ember."
- Universe, Kaufmann & Freedman -

Old February 7th 04, 03:29 PM
John Zinni

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
We know 90% of the stars in our galaxy are the same as our sun. We know
they can last 10 billion years. When they have used up all atoms that
can keep their fusion core going they create iron atoms,and that can't
be fused.

That begs the question is it this iron that causes it to turn
red

Google ""blackbody radiation"

Old February 9th 04, 03:15 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi L Could the red (colour Brits) be due to light coming out of the red
giant's core is traveling though a lot of gas and dust before coming out
its surface? It does shrink back to a small very dense White Dwarf.
Bert

Old February 10th 04, 12:16 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi Benoit It takes the photons from the sun's core 100,000 years to go
from core to surface. That is the reasoning I use when they tell us
very cold sodium slows light to 3 miles per hour. The photon never
slows down. Bert