Heavy Spam Attack

Old September 22nd 03, 04:44 AM
John Ferman

Default Heavy Spam Attack

I have in the past two weeks accessed all of the astronomy newsgroups
and have posted to several. I am getting a very heavy load of spams
and I have reason to think the spammers have been harvesting newsgroups
email addresses. People that I know to never visit newsgroups are not
affected. Has anyone on the astronomy newsgroups been affected?
Old September 22nd 03, 05:27 AM
Gypsy Baron

John Ferman wrote:

I have in the past two weeks accessed all of the astronomy newsgroups
and have posted to several. I am getting a very heavy load of spams
and I have reason to think the spammers have been harvesting newsgroups
email addresses. People that I know to never visit newsgroups are not
affected. Has anyone on the astronomy newsgroups been affected?

Yes, there is a new virus around that harvests addresses
from a number of sources...newsgroups and mail lists, etc.

Lots of folks have been commenting on this here and in other
newsgroups that I read. Such is life on the net these days

Paul

Old September 22nd 03, 06:25 AM
Starlord

There are always spammers looking for new e-mail address from the posters here,
they have software that auto collects all such from here. That's why you either
have to use a spam block, a fake return address, or like I do, a service (free)
that filters out the spam.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

"John Ferman" wrote in message
I have in the past two weeks accessed all of the astronomy newsgroups
and have posted to several. I am getting a very heavy load of spams
and I have reason to think the spammers have been harvesting newsgroups
email addresses. People that I know to never visit newsgroups are not
affected. Has anyone on the astronomy newsgroups been affected?

---

Old September 22nd 03, 08:15 AM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , John Ferman
writes
I have in the past two weeks accessed all of the astronomy newsgroups
and have posted to several. I am getting a very heavy load of spams
and I have reason to think the spammers have been harvesting newsgroups
email addresses. People that I know to never visit newsgroups are not
affected. Has anyone on the astronomy newsgroups been affected?

It's not just astronomy groups but all newsgroups, AFAICS. I'm using
Mailwasher to fend off about 1000 per day.
Rather too late, I'm hiding my address and hope you are doing the same.
--
"Forty millions of miles it was from us, more than forty millions of miles of
void"

Old September 22nd 03, 04:18 PM
Joseph

Does this mean if you have already posted - it's too late. Since your
address will already
be on the news group?
The mailwasher program does it have to be run by the ISP or can I do it
locally - because
I have been getting mail from ISP saying my email quota has been exceeded.

Thanks
Joseph
"Jonathan Silverlight" wrote
in message news
In message , John Ferman
writes

Old September 22nd 03, 05:28 PM
Starlord

You might contact your ISP and see if you can make a change to your address and
then use a spam blocker with the new one.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning
lingered: and along the path he once had followed, man would one day go
again."

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org