Venus - Crescent captured while planet on the Disk!

Old June 9th 04, 02:07 AM
Tom Rankin

Default Venus - Crescent captured while planet on the Disk!

Check out news:alt.binaries.pictures.astro and search for

ASTRO: Venus Transit Third Contact & Atmospheric arc

There is an image that shows the crescent of Venus while part of the
planet is still on the solar disk!

Amazing!

--
Tom Rankin - Programmer by day, amateur astronomer by night!
Mid-Hudson Astronomy Association - http://mhaa.whodeanie.com

When replying, remove the capital letters from my email address.
Old June 9th 04, 04:59 AM
Terry Bohlsen

Dear Tom
I noted this effect when about 2/3 of venus had crossed infront of the solar
disk. I could clearly make out a cresent completing the circle (sadly no
photo of it though).

--
Terry Bohlsen
Moree, Australia

Old June 9th 04, 07:23 AM
Jeroen Smaal

Hi,

They're also up on my website now:

http://www.smaal.info/astro_en/index...trophoto#venus

Regards,

Jeroen

Old June 9th 04, 11:30 AM
Tom Rankin

Thanks again! Marvelous shot! We were fighting clouds all morning.

We missed all 4 contacts.... :-(

Old June 9th 04, 02:52 PM
Chris1011

Here is another view of the venus crescent as it exited the disc:

http://www.photomeeting.de/astromeeting/sun/040608a.htm

Image taken with and Astro-Physics 155 EDF refractor and Baader Hershel Wedge.

RC