Weather

Old August 5th 03, 09:49 AM
Richard Darn

Default Weather

Is anyone using the dedicated Astronomy forecasts at
http://www.weatherweb.net/astronomy.htm

My prediction for last night was mostly clear skies, but rubbish seeing.
The opposite was true with a stunningly stable view of Mars in between some
of the thinner low cloud.

Incidentally, why is the Met Office so bad at predicting low cloud? It's a
real pest on the eatsern side of the country.

Richard

Old August 5th 03, 11:20 AM
Pete Lawrence

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 09:49:02 +0100, "Richard Darn"
wrote:

Is anyone using the dedicated Astronomy forecasts at
http://www.weatherweb.net/astronomy.htm

My prediction for last night was mostly clear skies, but rubbish seeing.
The opposite was true with a stunningly stable view of Mars in between some
of the thinner low cloud.

Incidentally, why is the Met Office so bad at predicting low cloud? It's a
real pest on the eatsern side of the country.

I didn't bother last night as my view of the disappearing Moon told me
that things were not very good for imaging. Oops. How stable is
"stunningly stable"?

The Moon looked (for me anyway) like it was in a shallow eclipse
(apart from the fact that it wasn't full of course ).

--
Pete
Homepage at http://www.pbl33.co.uk

Old August 5th 03, 02:51 PM
Weather Consultancy Services

Hi All,

A weird one last night. The situation we are in at the moment is unusual and
the models don't tend to handle it very well. Where abouts are you Richard?

Simon

Simon Keeling
ww.weatherweb.net

--
Weather Consultancy Services Ltd / Flying High Weather Ltd
The Weather Centre, 188 Common Road, Wombourne, Staffordshire, England. WV5

Old August 5th 03, 04:03 PM
A. Edwards

Err - Weather Consultancy Services mumbled something like:
Hi All,

A weird one last night. The situation we are in at the moment is
unusual and the models don't tend to handle it very well.

Tell me about it! After 10 mins I gave up as the scope, the computer, the
mount, me, the cat, in fact, everything outside was drenched (literally
dripping). I'd just made a new dew heater too and it couldn't cope!

Arthur

52:30:25N, 1:17:51E
http://www.ambermile.co.uk

---

Old August 5th 03, 04:19 PM
Richard Darn

Simon

I'm in South Yorkshire.

Low cloud is the absolute bane of my existence and generally goes
unforecasted by the Met Office.
Last night was also incredibly warm, with no breeze whatsoever.

I described the seeing as "stunning" because the outline of Mars was sharply
defined, presenting a very stable globe. No boiling at all. The south polar
ice cap was etched into the eyepiece. I'd have seen more surface detail,
but that was were fine detail was lost by the poor transparency.

Richard