Solar storm etc

Old November 7th 03, 02:05 AM
Martin Lewicki

Default Solar storm etc

"Sally" wrote in
:

"David Knisely" wrote in message
I'm sorry, but I just can't agree, as the effects you seem to show
seem excessive to my experience. Again, the field orientation and
strength of the Earth's field (relative to the random orientation of
a TV) is so variable that if such effects were seen, they would be
unable to be compensated for by just the flick of a switch as was
implied by an earlier poster. Clear skies to you.

The effect is real enough, and just to satisfy myself I just tried
rotating both monitors in here by 90 degs. My el cheapo 16 inch
monitor showed some green hues at top and bottom left corners when
rotated. Another more expensive monitor turned pinkish at bottom left.
Both monitors are free standing, one is used with a laptop several
feet away to the left and the other has a tower PC several feet in
underneath it. I can't see anything else in this room that could
generate a magnetic field.

I did some searching on this topic and many websites refer to
preferred orientations when setting up CRT convergence. The standard
is front-back facing north-south. So, either the effect is one of
those urban myths, or it is real.

Take a look at:
http://www.anatekcorp.com/smask.htm
This article is written by a Philips Engineer and goes into some
detail about the interaction between the crt shadow mask, the earth's
magnetic field and colour purity. He seems to be convinced that the
effect is real
:-)

Sally

Interesting article. My 50cm TV shows pinkish hues at the edge of the
screen when it is rotated in some directions. There seems no degaussing
provisions built in. (Set is 2 years old). However a fridge magnet stuck at
a trial-and-error determined position on the exterior surface of the set
just behind the screen where the pink spot is located neutralizes it
nicely. No deliterious effects on colour purity after a two years.

Martin Lewicki
Old November 7th 03, 05:55 AM
Thijs Verbeek

An experiment wich is simple to perform, is just to turn your monitor or tv
up-side down. I have seen it done, and the result is practically the same as
when
you play with magnets. The image gets distorted with very nice rainbow
colours,
simply beacause of the earths magnetic field. I do not know if it happens to
all
tv sets, but if you have an old one just standing around, it might be worth
a try...

Thijs

"Bob Jenkins" wrote in message
m...
"Sally" wrote in message

A child waved a magnet in front of our TV set to see the "pretty colors"

and
it took months (dozens of switch-on degausses) for that TV to settle

down
again. I think that in this case it was the shadow mask that got

permanently
magnetised...or at least it got magnetised for a few months.

I did that to my parents' TV once. When I noticed that the effect was
permanent, I fixed it by waving the magnet in front of the TV with the
poles reversed. It took some concentration, because reversing the
poles makes the distortion look worse when you're fixing it.

Are there any plans to put solar observatories at the Sun-earth
Lagrange points, or in a tag-team orbit with the Earth around the sun?
It would be nice to observe the whole sun, not just the portion that
happens to be pointing towards us.

Old November 7th 03, 06:05 AM
David Knisely

Sally wrote:

The effect is real enough, and just to satisfy myself I just tried rotating
both monitors in here by 90 degs.

The effect may be real, but the cause may not be the Earth's magnetic field.
To determine this, take your monitor out into a vacant lot away from local
power sources or local concentrations of metal (it will require a generator or
a long electrical cord), and then do the rotation. Again, I don't see any
such effect with either my 27 inch CRT TV, my 19 inch computer monitor, or my
13 inch color set. Its local fields from magnets in motors or DC currents in
lines which may make the difference.

Take a look at:
http://www.anatekcorp.com/smask.htm
This article is written by a Philips Engineer and goes into some detail
about the interaction between the crt shadow mask, the earth's magnetic
field and colour purity. He seems to be convinced that the effect is real

Well, again, the article says something which might not be the full effect.
Again, I don't see much of a change in the performance of my monitor when I
move it from place to place or rotate it.
--
David W. Knisely
Prairie Astronomy Club:

* July 18-23, 2004, Merritt Reservoir *
* http://www.NebraskaStarParty.org *

Old November 7th 03, 10:35 AM
Sally

Again, I don't see much of a change in the performance of my monitor

when I
move it from place to place or rotate it.

Your monitor may be a high quality model that detects the local field and
compensates for it, such circuitry is included in more up-market equipment.
Anyway, I think we have flogged this one to death so...clear skies to you
:-)
Sally

Old November 24th 03, 02:12 AM
me

My magnetic compass is largely dominated by the earth's magnetic field
and not the local power lines. Why should you be surprised that it is
the same for a computer monitor?

/Bevin

Old November 24th 03, 02:42 AM
[email protected] \(formerly\)

Dear me:

"me" m@e wrote in message ...
My magnetic compass is largely dominated by the earth's magnetic field
and not the local power lines. Why should you be surprised that it is
the same for a computer monitor?

Very little of the thread remained. What effect was the poster looking to
describe between magnetic fields and his monitor? Something about rotating
it 90°...

David A. Smith