Solar storm etc

Old November 6th 03, 03:00 PM
amazure ²°°³

Default Solar storm etc

"Sally" wrote in message ...
| "amazure ²°°³"
| wrote in message ...
| During the solar storm & the one 2 days or so after, my pc's
| monitor kept changing picture width slightly (annoying) !
| If your monitor is an older or cheapo model then it could be affected by
| changes in line voltage, which in turn can be affected by the distribution
| network responding to surges....which may be due to the current geomagnetic
| storms. So yes...there could be a connection causual, and electrical!
| Sally

It's an LG 775N, bought about 2 years ago.

Regards.

Old November 6th 03, 07:58 PM
David Knisely

"Sally" wrote in message ...
"David Knisely" wrote in message
om...
You didn't read what I said. I used the word "significantly". I have
not seen such a monitor of that size (a computer monitor, *not* a TV),

I'm sorry David but I must disagree. The 16" monitor I'm using right now
will show significant misconvergence if it is rotated, this shows up as
color fringing, especially at the corners. The only way to restore the
convergence is to do a manual degauss in the new orientation.

Again, this sounds like a rather questionable monitor. I have a large
stereo speaker located 6 inches above the top of my monitor, plus two
shielded computer speakers to the left and right of the monitor. I
rotated the monitor (19 inch KDS 'Visual Sensations') just now and the
image remained sharp and steady. I can turn my TV's in my living room
and kitchen around and both show no color fringing or changes in
convergence. It sounds very much like you have a poorly-shielded
monitor which is being affected by local magnetic fields rather than
by the relatively weak field of the Earth.

I'm not saying that a geomagnetic storm will have any direct effect. I'm
just saying that the earth's normal magnetic field is strong enough to
affect a TV or monitor picture.

I'm sorry, but I just can't agree, as the effects you seem to show
seem excessive to my experience. Again, the field orientation and
strength of the Earth's field (relative to the random orientation of a
TV) is so variable that if such effects were seen, they would be
unable to be compensated for by just the flick of a switch as was
implied by an earlier poster. Clear skies to you.

--
David W. Knisely
Prairie Astronomy Club:

* July 18-23, 2004, Merritt Reservoir *
* http://www.NebraskaStarParty.org *

Old November 6th 03, 08:38 PM
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Wed, 05 Nov 2003 23:20:17 +0000) it happened Anon Imous
wrote in :

Sally wrote:
"David Knisely" wrote in message
om...

You didn't read what I said. I used the word "significantly". I have
not seen such a monitor of that size (a computer monitor, *not* a TV),

I'm sorry David but I must disagree. The 16" monitor I'm using right now
will show significant misconvergence if it is rotated, this shows up as
color fringing, especially at the corners. The only way to restore the
convergence is to do a manual degauss in the new orientation.

Do you have speakers close to the monitor?

I'm not saying that a geomagnetic storm will have any direct effect. I'm
just saying that the earth's normal magnetic field is strong enough to
affect a TV or monitor picture.

Any magnetic field will affect TVs and monitors, the obvious question is
rather where is the threshold of "noticeable". Compare that threshold
with the maximum fluctuation of earth's magnetic field at your latitude.
Keep in mind the relatively small surface of your monitor and the small
angle of the field vector towards your screen.I dont have the values
handy, but I must agree with David that such effects cannot be visible
as a direct result of magnetic field fluctuations. Unless (probably) if
you have a 25" monitor directed toward heavens and you live in northern
Finland.

No, you are mistaken, I have serviced many TV sets, and north-south versus
east-west rotation will change purity.
It is well known.
And degaussing should fix it
Same for a monitor, same 25 KV, same energy beam.
It has perhaps nothing to do with screen size, it is related to the beam direction
changing that little so when it goes through the shadow mask, it partly
misses the correct pixel.
The length of the tube, perhaps, has influence, that would make old 90 degree
sets more sensitive then 110 deflection but I have not looked at the difference.
JP

Old November 6th 03, 11:29 PM
Sally

"David Knisely" wrote in message
I'm sorry, but I just can't agree, as the effects you seem to show
seem excessive to my experience. Again, the field orientation and
strength of the Earth's field (relative to the random orientation of a
TV) is so variable that if such effects were seen, they would be
unable to be compensated for by just the flick of a switch as was
implied by an earlier poster. Clear skies to you.

The effect is real enough, and just to satisfy myself I just tried rotating
both monitors in here by 90 degs. My el cheapo 16 inch monitor showed some
green hues at top and bottom left corners when rotated. Another more
expensive monitor turned pinkish at bottom left. Both monitors are free
standing, one is used with a laptop several feet away to the left and the
other has a tower PC several feet in underneath it. I can't see anything
else in this room that could generate a magnetic field.

I did some searching on this topic and many websites refer to preferred
orientations when setting up CRT convergence. The standard is front-back
facing north-south. So, either the effect is one of those urban myths, or it
is real.

Take a look at:
http://www.anatekcorp.com/smask.htm
This article is written by a Philips Engineer and goes into some detail
about the interaction between the crt shadow mask, the earth's magnetic
field and colour purity. He seems to be convinced that the effect is real
:-)

Sally

Old November 7th 03, 12:51 AM
Bob Jenkins

"Sally" wrote in message ...

A child waved a magnet in front of our TV set to see the "pretty colors" and
it took months (dozens of switch-on degausses) for that TV to settle down
again. I think that in this case it was the shadow mask that got permanently
magnetised...or at least it got magnetised for a few months.

I did that to my parents' TV once. When I noticed that the effect was
permanent, I fixed it by waving the magnet in front of the TV with the
poles reversed. It took some concentration, because reversing the
poles makes the distortion look worse when you're fixing it.

Are there any plans to put solar observatories at the Sun-earth
Lagrange points, or in a tag-team orbit with the Earth around the sun?
It would be nice to observe the whole sun, not just the portion that
happens to be pointing towards us.

Old November 7th 03, 02:05 AM
Martin Lewicki

"Sally" wrote in
:

[...]

Interesting article. My 50cm TV shows pinkish hues at the edge of the
screen when it is rotated in some directions. There seems no degaussing
provisions built in. (Set is 2 years old). However a fridge magnet stuck at
a trial-and-error determined position on the exterior surface of the set
just behind the screen where the pink spot is located neutralizes it
nicely. No deliterious effects on colour purity after a two years.

Martin Lewicki