Low Level Fuel Sensor

Old July 13th 05, 09:08 PM
Walter L. Preuninger II

Default Low Level Fuel Sensor

Quote from cnn.com

"The sensor monitors the amount of super-cold hydrogen fuel in the tank and
tells the orbiter's engines to shut down if there's not enough fuel."

Hmmm, when my lawn mower does not have enough fuel, it shuts down, and it
doesnt even have a sensor!

Walter

Old July 13th 05, 10:02 PM
Derek Lyons

"Walter L. Preuninger II" wrote:

Quote from cnn.com

"The sensor monitors the amount of super-cold hydrogen fuel in the tank and
tells the orbiter's engines to shut down if there's not enough fuel."

Hmmm, when my lawn mower does not have enough fuel, it shuts down, and it
doesnt even have a sensor!

Your lawn mower won't eat itself when it runs out of fuel.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old July 13th 05, 10:46 PM
Justa Lurker

Walter L. Preuninger II wrote:
Quote from cnn.com

"The sensor monitors the amount of super-cold hydrogen fuel in the tank and
tells the orbiter's engines to shut down if there's not enough fuel."

Hmmm, when my lawn mower does not have enough fuel, it shuts down, and it
doesnt even have a sensor!

Walter

Your lawn mower does not (to the best of my knowledge, anyhow) have
separate supplies of fuel and highly reactive oxidizer --- the latter of
which would be pleased to help consume various parts of the engine
itself given the absence of the fuel.
Old July 13th 05, 11:32 PM
Walter L. Preuninger II

Thanks for clearing up my confusion as to why it is really bad to use up
just 1 component of the fuel.

Walter

Old July 14th 05, 12:03 AM
Joe Delphi

"Walter L. Preuninger II" wrote in message
Quote from cnn.com

"The sensor monitors the amount of super-cold hydrogen fuel in the tank

and
tells the orbiter's engines to shut down if there's not enough fuel."

Hmmm, when my lawn mower does not have enough fuel, it shuts down, and it
doesnt even have a sensor!

Walter

The space shuttle has 3 engines and for a bunch of reasons too technical to
explain here, they want them to

a. All shut down at the same time.
b. Shut down in an orderly manner. This means closing valves in a certain
order, and shutting down turbopumps so that the engine is not damaged and
can be re-used again on a future flight.

JD

Old July 14th 05, 11:28 AM

What I don't understand is why there aren't redundant sensors for this
if it is critical.
What if the sensor failed in flight? If this sensor is considerd so
critical it doesn't make sense to only have one, or are there multiple
sensors being called one to simplify things for the public?

If there is really only one sensor my confidence in NASA's orbiter
program is going down a notch. How many other critical things are they
cutting corners on?

-McDaniel

Old July 14th 05, 12:42 PM
John A. Weeks III

"Walter L. Preuninger II" wrote:

Quote from cnn.com

"The sensor monitors the amount of super-cold hydrogen fuel in the tank and
tells the orbiter's engines to shut down if there's not enough fuel."

Hmmm, when my lawn mower does not have enough fuel, it shuts down, and it
doesnt even have a sensor!

Yes...but your lawnmower will not have a multi-million dollar
turbo pump destroy itself when it runs out of gas. They don't
want any of the engine components to run dry. Under normal
circumstances, the shuttle launches with quite a bit of extra
fuel, so they would never get into a low fuel situation unless
something unusual has already happened in the flight.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Old July 14th 05, 01:34 PM
Craig Fink

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 06:42:15 -0500, John A. Weeks III wrote:

In article ,
"Walter L. Preuninger II" wrote:

Quote from cnn.com

"The sensor monitors the amount of super-cold hydrogen fuel in the tank and
tells the orbiter's engines to shut down if there's not enough fuel."

Hmmm, when my lawn mower does not have enough fuel, it shuts down, and it
doesnt even have a sensor!

Yes...but your lawnmower will not have a multi-million dollar
turbo pump destroy itself when it runs out of gas. They don't
want any of the engine components to run dry. Under normal
circumstances, the shuttle launches with quite a bit of extra
fuel, so they would never get into a low fuel situation unless
something unusual has already happened in the flight.

When you think about how the turbopump works, the liquid fuel enters the
compressor first, then is turned into gas at high pressure, then flows
thru the turbine. When it runs out of fuel, the compressor will run out of
fuel first, while the turbine is still at full power. The compressor
has nothing to compress other than a little bit of gaseous fuel. So, the
power from the turbine has to go somewhere. That somewhere is a faster
spinning turbine and compressor, limited only by the inertia of the
turbine and compressor (well there still is that little bit of gaseous
fuel too), which isn't much.

So as you might imagine, as the turbopump accelerates, at some point it's
going to go above it's structural limits and break, sending out high
speed debris in the plane of the pump. It would probably shred the aft
end of the vehicle.

--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @