"Spirit" has a major problem.

Old January 24th 04, 01:42 AM
Pat Flannery

Archibald wrote:

You do know that Spirit's electronics are made by Lucas, the lord of
darkness? :-DD

I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT! PERFIDIOUS ALBION STRIKES AGAIN!

Pat

Old January 24th 04, 03:17 PM
Pat Flannery

Andrew Gray wrote:

(I can't think of an offhand example, but I'm sure there is one.)

The protective ballast valve screens on the submarine Thresher... they
were designed to prevent debris in the high pressure air supply from
getting into the valves of the ballast blowing system and damaging them;
but under the pressure of the depths Thresher was capable of reaching
they iced up when the high pressure air decreased in temperature as it
was released and expanded, causing its water content to condense as it
was blown through them. This stopped the air flow to the ballast tanks,
and doomed the sub.

Pat

Old January 24th 04, 04:00 PM
JNICHOLS

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

Diane Wilson wrote:

Indeed. Wishing MER-A a speedy recovery, and smooth landing
to MER-B.

I'm hoping it isn't a problem with the software they wrote and uploaded
to the spacecraft as it was on its way to Mars, as was discussed in the
Nova special on the landers. If that's the case, then Opportunity may
have the same problem- and NASA will have to explain why they launched
without a full set of tested software on board...which won't look good
at all.

Pat

Maybe they used that software patch from Microsoft that is being posted on
all the newsgroups?

Old January 24th 04, 06:15 PM
Scott Hedrick

"JNICHOLS" wrote in message
Maybe they used that software patch from Microsoft that is being posted on
all the newsgroups?

Can you say "virus"? My 4MB mail storage on Yahoo fills more than twice a
day. In the several months that I've had the account, less than two dozen
messages total have not been exactly either 142kb or 154kb in size, and more
than 90% claim to be from Microsoft.

If you email me and I don't respond, it's because I didn't get your message.
I've received only one message from a reader of this newsgroup, and that was
minutes after I had purged the box.

I suspect I'll have to abandon the account soon.

What email client filters messages according to size?

Old January 24th 04, 07:01 PM
Derek Lyons

Pat Flannery wrote:

Andrew Gray wrote:

(I can't think of an offhand example, but I'm sure there is one.)

The protective ballast valve screens on the submarine Thresher... they
were designed to prevent debris in the high pressure air supply from
getting into the valves of the ballast blowing system and damaging them;
but under the pressure of the depths Thresher was capable of reaching
they iced up when the high pressure air decreased in temperature as it
was released and expanded, causing its water content to condense as it
was blown through them. This stopped the air flow to the ballast tanks,
and doomed the sub.

That's not really a good example, as the strainers were not part of
the design. They were added by the builder on his own hook.

D.
--
The STS-107 Columbia Loss FAQ can be found
at the following URLs:

Text-Only Version:
http://www.io.com/~o_m/columbia_loss_faq.html

Enhanced HTML Version:

Corrections, comments, and additions should be
e-mailed to , as well as posted to
sci.space.history and sci.space.shuttle for
discussion.
Old January 24th 04, 09:20 PM
Darren J Longhorn

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 13:15:30 -0500, "Scott Hedrick"
wrote:

"JNICHOLS" wrote in message
Maybe they used that software patch from Microsoft that is being posted on
all the newsgroups?

Can you say "virus"? My 4MB mail storage on Yahoo fills more than twice a
day. In the several months that I've had the account, less than two dozen
messages total have not been exactly either 142kb or 154kb in size, and more
than 90% claim to be from Microsoft.

If you email me and I don't respond, it's because I didn't get your message.
I've received only one message from a reader of this newsgroup, and that was
minutes after I had purged the box.

I suspect I'll have to abandon the account soon.

What email client filters messages according to size?

I had this problem last autumn. Add a spamtrap to the email address
you use for usenet, and it will clear up in a couple of weeks.
Old January 24th 04, 09:35 PM
Pat Flannery

Derek Lyons wrote:

That's not really a good example, as the strainers were not part of
the design. They were added by the builder on his own hook.

I didn't know that part of the story...that design change sounds like
something that Rickover would go completely ballistic over... what I
always thought was ironic was that a device that is supposed to improve
the sub's safety is at least partially responsible for sinking it.

There is another case something like this I can think of off the top of
my head...Lockheed didn't realize that the canopy of the U-2 actually
got stronger as the height increased and the air temperature dropped.
This led to the aircraft's ejection seat starting up its rails, striking
the canopy, and bouncing right back down into the cockpit:
http://www.ejectionsite.com/u2seat.htm

Pat

Old January 24th 04, 10:43 PM
Matt Periolat

Well, things are sounding better. It appears PART of the problem is in the
flash memory. Now, I'm no expert, so I don't know if we can work around that or
not, but at least JPL knows what's causing the resets and can talk to and
command Spirit again. That puts us in at least in a decent position to get
Opportunity down. But I do hope that we can solve this within a few weeks and
get back to prospecting before the life of the rover expires.
Old January 25th 04, 12:35 AM
Derek Lyons

"Scott Hedrick" wrote:

Can you say "virus"? My 4MB mail storage on Yahoo fills more than twice a
day. In the several months that I've had the account, less than two dozen
messages total have not been exactly either 142kb or 154kb in size, and more
than 90% claim to be from Microsoft.

Which is weird because my yahoo box has dropped to manageable
levels.... Add a spamtrap.

D.

Old January 25th 04, 03:03 AM
Scott Hedrick

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
Which is weird because my yahoo box has dropped to manageable
levels.... Add a spamtrap.

They want money for that

I use the Yahoo address for the newsgroups because it's far easier to change
than my bellsouth addresses, and I don't want them to be come spam magnets.
As it is, the address I posted for the student loan info has picked up its
share of spam. I was offline for about 10 days and had 377 messages waiting,
most spam. Fortunately, Outlook does a good job of filtering them.

Come to think of it, I didn't save my killfiless before reformatting the
hard drive, so messages from everyone should have appeared- but apparently
the Maxsons are such complete morons that Outlook Express filters them out
in its own.