Mars imaging through clingfilm

Old August 6th 03, 11:51 AM
Martin Frey

Default Mars imaging through clingfilm

Pete Lawrence wrote:

Finally boil the image on high heat continuously throughout the
session.

Very frustrating indeed. The only results I got looked like someone
had blasted the planet to smitherines when processed with Registax.

I hope others are getting better skies.

Very warm though. Perhaps I should have settled for a G&T and just
admired the stars ;-)

Very cloudy here - Mars burning through every now and then. I was too
knackered to use the scope - 15x17 binos gave very clear views of the
disc - the sharpest I've seen Mars yet - particularly at the moments
when Mars was just appearing/disappearing.

I'll try the neutral density filter next time out with the scope. Mars
is definitely too bright for the binos - it seemed to shrink to a disc
as it faded - there must be some kind of flaring in the optics.

Cheers

Martin

--------------
Martin Frey
N 51 02 E 0 47
--------------
Old August 6th 03, 12:45 PM
Pete Lawrence

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 11:51:41 +0100, Martin Frey
wrote:

Very cloudy here - Mars burning through every now and then. I was too
knackered to use the scope - 15x17 binos gave very clear views of the
disc - the sharpest I've seen Mars yet - particularly at the moments
when Mars was just appearing/disappearing.

I'll try the neutral density filter next time out with the scope. Mars
is definitely too bright for the binos - it seemed to shrink to a disc
as it faded - there must be some kind of flaring in the optics.

Certain hazy conditions can improve the visibility of the planet by
filtering out some of the excess light. However, in order to do this
the haze layer needs to be pretty constant and of just the right type.
Last night was full of variablity.

Quite surprised how little drop off in intensity was needed to render
the view through the camera invisible though.

Bloody weather!

--
Pete
Homepage at http://www.pbl33.co.uk

Old August 6th 03, 01:32 PM
Martin Frey

wrote:

Very cloudy here - Mars burning through every now and then. I was too
knackered to use the scope - 15x17 binos gave very clear views of the
disc - the sharpest I've seen Mars yet - particularly at the moments
when Mars was just appearing/disappearing.

Certain hazy conditions can improve the visibility of the planet by
filtering out some of the excess light. However, in order to do this
the haze layer needs to be pretty constant and of just the right type.
Last night was full of variablity.

Quite surprised how little drop off in intensity was needed to render
the view through the camera invisible though.

Bloody weather!

The variability was certainly OK for my low mag visual - but a total
nightmare for the imagers - my condolences.

Cheers

Martin

Martin Frey
N 51 02 E 0 47