Buy ETX 90 or ETX 105

Old August 1st 03, 09:19 AM
Les

Default Buy ETX 90 or ETX 105

My 105 sounds like a quietish coffee grinder on max speed, but is much
better at lower speeds. Almost inaudible when tracking...

Les (with ear defenders).
Old August 1st 03, 11:01 PM
Tenex

Les wrote:
I am surprised to see how controlled the costs of Meades are.
There seems to be practically no variation on the web sites at
least...

Cheers,
Les.

Don't think the OFT hasn't noticed.

Old August 1st 03, 11:26 PM
Bonathan

does UHTC make a real difference ?

"Les" wrote in message
om...
James,

I'm sure you've thought of this, but check the ETX you get has UHTC.

My 105 came with UHTC at no extra cost, although I have read on some
sites that these coatings are available at extra cost...

I got mine from Telescope House; it arrived in two days with free
postage. I am surprised to see how controlled the costs of Meades are.

Old August 2nd 03, 10:37 AM
James Harris

I wonder what the law is on this. I was actually told by a
dealer this week that Meade fix the retail prices. In the hi-fi
world also one will see kit from Nad at the same price in all
outlets, unless the item is ex-display etc.

Frankly if Meade can sell an ETX-90 with eyepieces for £ 700 and
normally this would cost £ 1300 - and they can sustain the
offer - then they must make some killing normally. I suspect
that the price charged for Goto and now GPS has long since
exceeded the costs to them by a long way. Note to self:
Starting to rant.... I'll stop there.
- James

Old August 2nd 03, 10:40 AM
James Harris

Les,

I think all come with UHTC now, don't they? Whether or not I'll
check before buying.

Thanks,
James

Old August 4th 03, 06:18 PM
Tenex

James Harris wrote:
I wonder what the law is on this. I was actually told by a
dealer this week that Meade fix the retail prices.

Report your conversation in a simple email to Bob MacDowall of the OFT
he's charged with looking at the market and needs
anecdotal comments/reports.