How Scientists Plan To Send Hibernating Astronauts to Mars

Old August 26th 13, 08:24 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Default How Scientists Plan To Send Hibernating Astronauts to Mars

"A lot of things are falling into place for NASA's inevitable moonshot
to Mars. (Mars-shot?) However, one of the original challenges remains
one of the more elusive ones: How do you get the astronauts to live on
a spaceship for six months without going crazy? You put them to sleep,
that's how."

See:

http://gizmodo.com/how-scientists-pl...o-m-1200941340
Old August 26th 13, 08:46 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

wrote in message

"A lot of things are falling into place for NASA's inevitable moonshot
to Mars. (Mars-shot?) However, one of the original challenges remains
one of the more elusive ones: How do you get the astronauts to live on
a spaceship for six months without going crazy? You put them to sleep,
that's how."

See:

http://gizmodo.com/how-scientists-pl...o-m-1200941340

I think there's a lot of reasons to support such research, but I wouldn't
hold my breath (so to speak) on this one. I think we'll be on Mars long
before this is proven safe enough.

That said, I do think it's more likely, at least at first you'd have say 2
of your crew awake at all times, in case something happens, they'll be able
to react more quickly.

On the flip side, "going crazy", not really an issue. We already have vast
experience with crews in confined spaces for long periods of time with
limited contact back home. Give them a couple seasons of Breaking Bad,
Battlestar Galactica and a few other series and then beam up new ones over
time, they'll be fine.

Old August 26th 13, 11:50 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

"jacob navia" wrote in message ...

Le 26/08/13 21:24, a écrit :
"A lot of things are falling into place for NASA's inevitable moonshot
to Mars. (Mars-shot?) However, one of the original challenges remains
one of the more elusive ones: How do you get the astronauts to live on
a spaceship for six months without going crazy? You put them to sleep,
that's how."

See:

http://gizmodo.com/how-scientists-pl...o-m-1200941340

So, mokmedical wasn't so wrong as McCall said?

Nope, he was just as wrong.

This is still VERY far from a developed technology.

:-)

Old August 27th 13, 09:21 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Bob Haller

ISS crews with spare time spend much of it looking down at earth.

On a trip to mars earth will be a blue small star

nasa has admitted this could be a issue......

on ISS they KNOW they can get back to earth in a matter of hours, not on a mars trip....
Old August 27th 13, 09:28 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

On Wednesday, August 28, 2013 2:12:17 AM UTC+12, Fred J. McCall wrote:
jacob navia wrote:

Le 26/08/13 21:24, a écrit :

"A lot of things are falling into place for NASA's inevitable moonshot

to Mars. (Mars-shot?) However, one of the original challenges remains

one of the more elusive ones: How do you get the astronauts to live on

a spaceship for six months without going crazy? You put them to sleep,

that's how."

See:

http://gizmodo.com/how-scientists-pl...o-m-1200941340

So, mokmedical wasn't so wrong as McCall said?

:-)

Well, yes, he was at least so wrong as I said.

Hint: Don't get your space technology analyses from Gizmodo.

territory."

--G. Behn

Right, Fred is *never* wrong. We forgot that rule. Anything in the universe that doesn't support that rule is wrong, according to Fred. lol.

If the good editors at gizmodo support something Fred at any time said was wrong - then gizmodo has to be wrong. got it? lol.
Old August 27th 13, 10:04 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Monday, August 26, 2013 3:39:47 PM UTC-7, jacob navia wrote:
Le 26/08/13 21:24, a écrit :

"A lot of things are falling into place for NASA's inevitable moonshot

to Mars. (Mars-shot?) However, one of the original challenges remains

one of the more elusive ones: How do you get the astronauts to live on

a spaceship for six months without going crazy? You put them to sleep,

that's how."

See:

http://gizmodo.com/how-scientists-pl...o-m-1200941340

So, mokmedical wasn't so wrong as McCall said?

:-)

William Mook offers a lot of good ideas and even some practical expertise from time to time.
Old August 27th 13, 11:55 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

"bob haller" wrote in message

ISS crews with spare time spend much of it looking down at earth.

And SSBN crews spend spare time (what spare time) looking at the bunk 6"
above their heads.

A crew on a Mars flight will have far more entertainment and social outlooks
available to them than long term crews on Boomers currently have.

On a trip to mars earth will be a blue small star

Not all the time. Again, orbital mechanics.

On the other hand, they'll have something to look forward to.

nasa has admitted this could be a issue......

Admitted? Like it's some big secret that crew psychology is important? Gee,
who would have thunk. If only some folks had experience in this area.

on ISS they KNOW they can get back to earth in a matter of hours, not on a
mars trip....

And crews on ships in the North Atlantic or South Pacific know that they can
die in open water in a matter of minutes, right here on Earth.

People deal with these fears all the time.

Old August 28th 13, 12:33 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

jacob navia wrote:

Le 26/08/13 21:24, a écrit :

[...]

However, any direct reply to Fred is only further proof that Fred is right.

Those most afraid of exploiting anything off-world are usually faith-based and as most often Semites, or even worse cloaked as an Atheist that simply acts/reacts exactly as any good Jew would act/react on behalf of protecting their Oligarchs/Bilderbergs. Fred fits the pretend-Atheist closed mindset caste.