Saw a NOSS triad this evening...

Old August 29th 03, 11:43 AM
Jim Jones

Default Saw a NOSS triad this evening...

....sometime between 3:30 - 4:00am MDT. They passed very close to the Double
Cluster and proceeded through Cameleopardis, although I lost them in the sky
glow before they reached Lynx.

I was just trying to look them up at heavens-above.com, but the database
there doesn't seem to contain "noss." Do we know a US Space Command number
for these guys (or rather a set, since there are several of these triads in
orbit)? Google didn't turn up anything useful. Is there another name that
they're found under there? Is there a different site for looking up their
ephemeris?

Thanks for any tips,
Jim Jones
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Old August 29th 03, 12:46 PM
Ante Perkovic

Jim Jones wrote:

...sometime between 3:30 - 4:00am MDT. They passed very close to the Double
Cluster and proceeded through Cameleopardis, although I lost them in the sky
glow before they reached Lynx.

I was just trying to look them up at heavens-above.com, but the database
there doesn't seem to contain "noss." Do we know a US Space Command number
for these guys (or rather a set, since there are several of these triads in
orbit)? Google didn't turn up anything useful.

Try he

http://satobs.org/noss.html

Ante Perkovic

---------------------
Astronomska sekcija F.D. Split, Croatia
http://astro.fdst.hr

Old August 29th 03, 02:30 PM
mark d. doiron

"Jim Jones" wrote in message
. ca...

I was just trying to look them up at heavens-above.com,
but the database there doesn't seem to contain "noss."

Jim--

hmm, don't know why because they **are** in the data base but won't show in
a search. i found them by searching on the years of launch (1986/7):

http://www.heavens-above.com/satinfo...&SatID =16591

http://www.heavens-above.com/satinfo...&SatID =16623

http://www.heavens-above.com/satinfo...&SatID =16624

http://www.heavens-above.com/satinfo...&SatID =16631

btw, the satellite constellation actually consists of four birds, not three.
the fourth bird (actually the primary) leads the others by several hundred
kilometers. more info he

http://www.fas.org/spp/military/prog...veill/noss.htm

clear, dark skies--

mark d.

Old August 29th 03, 03:24 PM
Sam Wormley

Jim Jones wrote:

...sometime between 3:30 - 4:00am MDT. They passed very close to the Double
Cluster and proceeded through Cameleopardis, although I lost them in the sky
glow before they reached Lynx.

I was just trying to look them up at heavens-above.com, but the database
there doesn't seem to contain "noss." Do we know a US Space Command number
for these guys (or rather a set, since there are several of these triads in
orbit)? Google didn't turn up anything useful. Is there another name that
they're found under there? Is there a different site for looking up their
ephemeris?

Thanks for any tips,
Jim Jones
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Try: Navy Navigation Satellite System (NNSS) TLEs
http://celestrak.com/NORAD/elements/nnss.txt

Ref: http://celestrak.com/NORAD/elements/

Old August 29th 03, 07:02 PM
Robin R. Wier

"mark d. doiron" wrote:

"Jim Jones" wrote in message
. ca...

I was just trying to look them up at heavens-above.com,
but the database there doesn't seem to contain "noss."

Jim--

hmm, don't know why because they **are** in the data base but won't show in
a search. i found them by searching on the years of launch (1986/7):

http://www.heavens-above.com/satinfo...&SatID =16591

http://www.heavens-above.com/satinfo...&SatID =16623

http://www.heavens-above.com/satinfo...&SatID =16624

http://www.heavens-above.com/satinfo...&SatID =16631

btw, the satellite constellation actually consists of four birds, not three.
the fourth bird (actually the primary) leads the others by several hundred
kilometers. more info he

http://www.fas.org/spp/military/prog...veill/noss.htm

clear, dark skies--

mark d.

Just searched the h-a database for %noss% and returned:

Satellite Search Results
Click on a satellite in the list to go to its information page. From
there you can also get pass predictions and orbital data.

NOSS 0 (A)
In Earth orbit
NOSS 0 Rocket
In Earth orbit