Mars viewer

Old August 2nd 05, 09:44 PM

Default Mars viewer

Hello everyone,

In 2003, during mars' last apparition, I used a great web site which
was a version of mars viewer - only it was in colour with all surface
features displayed, all that was needed was the observing time.
Now Mars is back I have tried to find that web site again , and
i can't, all I can find is Mars viewer 2.0, which shows blank discs
http://pds-rings.seti.org/tools/viewer2_mar.html

Does anyone know if the other viewer is still going and what its
address is?

chris

Old August 3rd 05, 07:46 AM

Don't know about the viewer you mentioned but this one is as good as it
gets:

http://www.calsky.com/cs.cgi?&lang=en

Best

Andrea T.

Old August 3rd 05, 09:54 AM
Pete Lawrence

On 2 Aug 2005 13:44:26 -0700, wrote:

Hello everyone,

In 2003, during mars' last apparition, I used a great web site which
was a version of mars viewer - only it was in colour with all surface
features displayed, all that was needed was the observing time.
Now Mars is back I have tried to find that web site again , and
i can't, all I can find is Mars viewer 2.0, which shows blank discs
http://pds-rings.seti.org/tools/viewer2_mar.html

Does anyone know if the other viewer is still going and what its
address is?

In 2003 a lot of people used Mars Previewer II, a freeware
application, to generate a view of the red planet for any date/time.
Apart from a rogue version with an embedded virus, the actual program
was very popular and accurate.

I've just dug out my old 2003 copy which works just fine. A quick
search on the net shows up a number of download sites, e.g.
http://astrotulsa.com/Resources/download.asp

--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old August 3rd 05, 07:01 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Pete Lawrence
writes
[...]

Does anyone know what happened to Leandro Rios, the author of that
program? He had a web site but it disappeared.