Shuttle unit cost

Old February 29th 04, 12:10 AM
Rick DeNatale

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 18:56:10 +0000, Henry Spencer wrote:

You're confusing stealth fighters and stealth bombers. The B-2 is indeed
up in the billion-dollar category, due to extreme technology and very
small production run. Fighters, even stealth ones, cost a lot less.

Of course despite the designation, the F-117 is REALLY a bomber. as far as
I know it's got no air-to-air capability.

Old February 29th 04, 12:41 AM
Scott Hedrick

"Rick DeNatale" wrote in message
news
Of course despite the designation, the F-117 is REALLY a bomber. as far as
I know it's got no air-to-air capability.

Missiles. Doesn't it carry Sparrows or Phoenix?

Old February 29th 04, 12:56 AM
Henry Spencer

Rick DeNatale wrote:
You're confusing stealth fighters and stealth bombers...

Of course despite the designation, the F-117 is REALLY a bomber. as far as
I know it's got no air-to-air capability.

I expect you could fit it with Sidewinders if you really wanted to --
Sidewinders can clip onto almost anything. But that's hardly definitive,
for precisely that reason...

Multi-role aircraft do officially go under F. But even so, it's a bit of
a strain to fit this one in.

It really ought to go under either B or A. But the strategic-bomber mafia
has exclusive rights to B, and A is for inferior :-) aircraft -- either
Navy aircraft, or ones forced on the Air Force by interservice politics,
like the A-10 -- and couldn't possibly be used for the USAF's pride and
joy.
--
MOST launched 30 June; science observations running | Henry Spencer
since Oct; first surprises seen; papers pending. |
Old February 29th 04, 01:18 AM
Mary Shafer

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 19:10:49 -0500, Rick DeNatale
wrote:

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 18:56:10 +0000, Henry Spencer wrote:

You're confusing stealth fighters and stealth bombers. The B-2 is indeed
up in the billion-dollar category, due to extreme technology and very
small production run. Fighters, even stealth ones, cost a lot less.

Of course despite the designation, the F-117 is REALLY a bomber. as far as
I know it's got no air-to-air capability.

Yeah, but it's a tactical, or strike, bomber, not a strategic bomber.

Mary

Old February 29th 04, 02:19 AM
Mary Shafer

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 19:41:36 -0500, "Scott Hedrick"
wrote:

"Rick DeNatale" wrote in message
news
Of course despite the designation, the F-117 is REALLY a bomber. as far as
I know it's got no air-to-air capability.

Missiles. Doesn't it carry Sparrows or Phoenix?

You know, a little Googling would save me having to explain that it
doesn't because it relies on its stealthiness to keep it safe. And
even if it did carry missiles, they'd probably be Sidewinders, not
Sparrows or Phoenix.

What's the sense of emitting radar when you're trying to be invisible?
Have you ever heard of EMCON, emissions control.

Mary

Old February 29th 04, 02:48 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Henry Spencer" wrote in message
Rick DeNatale wrote:
You're confusing stealth fighters and stealth bombers...

Of course despite the designation, the F-117 is REALLY a bomber. as far

as
I know it's got no air-to-air capability.

I expect you could fit it with Sidewinders if you really wanted to --
Sidewinders can clip onto almost anything. But that's hardly definitive,
for precisely that reason...

Multi-role aircraft do officially go under F. But even so, it's a bit of
a strain to fit this one in.

It really ought to go under either B or A. But the strategic-bomber mafia
has exclusive rights to B, and A is for inferior :-) aircraft -- either
Navy aircraft, or ones forced on the Air Force by interservice politics,
like the A-10 -- and couldn't possibly be used for the USAF's pride and
joy.

I've always been more bothered by the 117 designation in any case. :-)

Old February 29th 04, 04:26 AM
Henry Spencer

Greg D. Moore \(Strider\) wrote:
It really ought to go under either B or A. But the strategic-bomber mafia
has exclusive rights to B, and A is for inferior :-) aircraft -- either
Navy aircraft, or ones forced on the Air Force by interservice politics,
like the A-10 -- and couldn't possibly be used for the USAF's pride and
joy.

I've always been more bothered by the 117 designation in any case. :-)

Well, speculation has it that it was originally supposed to be the F-19.
There is a suspicious gap in the designation sequence there, at about the
right time.

As for the 117 part... Apparently, in a certain area of the Southwest,
there was an informal use of F designations beyond 111 for air-ground
radio traffic concerning test flying of ex-Soviet aircraft, to avoid
advertising exactly what was being flown. And the stealth fighter was
fitted into that to conceal *its* testing. Somehow that unofficial
designation ended up sticking.

(At least, that was the story last I checked. This isn't a topic I follow
regularly.)
Old February 29th 04, 05:19 AM
Scott Hedrick

"Mary Shafer" wrote in message
You know, a little Googling would save me having to explain that it
doesn't because it relies on its stealthiness to keep it safe.

Y'know, after I sent it, I realized that I should have check it out first.

Momentarily afterwards, I remembered the radar...

I should have guessed Hellfire or Maverick, but better than guessing, I
should have looked it up first.
spank, spank

Old February 29th 04, 06:17 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

Greg D. Moore \(Strider\) wrote:
It really ought to go under either B or A. But the strategic-bomber

mafia
has exclusive rights to B, and A is for inferior :-) aircraft -- either
Navy aircraft, or ones forced on the Air Force by interservice

politics,
like the A-10 -- and couldn't possibly be used for the USAF's pride and
joy.

I've always been more bothered by the 117 designation in any case. :-)

Well, speculation has it that it was originally supposed to be the F-19.
There is a suspicious gap in the designation sequence there, at about the
right time.

Yeah, I know the story. Still don't like it. :-)

Of course the RS-71, err, I mean SR-71 was redesignated by a Presidential
mistake. ";-)