Photos of Jupiter missiles being installed in Turkey - 1961

Old February 9th 04, 02:06 AM
Rusty Barton

Default Photos of Jupiter missiles being installed in Turkey - 1961

I found an interesting website by a person that took part
in the installation of Jupiter missiles in Turkey in 1961.
He has some great color photos of the event.

This is one of the events that led to the Cuban Missile Crisis
less than a year later.

Take a look at his website:

http://www.hlswilliwaw.com/Turkey/ht...ssiles-Pg1.htm

Interesting logo on the side of the Jupiter missile in addition
to the Turkish flag.

My Jupiter IRBM History Website can be found at this URL:

http://www.geocities.com/jupiter_irbm/index.html

- Rusty Barton

Old February 9th 04, 04:12 AM
Pat Flannery

Rusty Barton wrote:

Interesting logo on the side of the Jupiter missile in addition
to the Turkish flag.

Well at least they were honest about what they were to be used for...
question of the week: if a Jupiter is a Ibrahim 2; then what's a Ibrahim
1? Honest John? Redstone?

My Jupiter IRBM History Website can be found at this URL:

http://www.geocities.com/jupiter_irbm/index.html

Nice stuff! Regarding the top diagram on this stage:
http://www.geocities.com/jupiter_irbm/diagrams.htm
What the hell is a "Skirk"? It's called that on the warhead page also.

Pat

Old February 9th 04, 04:18 AM
Rusty Barton

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 22:12:20 -0600, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Nice stuff! Regarding the top diagram on this stage:
http://www.geocities.com/jupiter_irbm/diagrams.htm
What the hell is a "Skirk"? It's called that on the warhead page also.

Pat

Damn! That's a typo. Should be "skirt". I'll fix it.

Rusty
Old February 9th 04, 07:42 AM
Pat Flannery

Rusty Barton wrote:

Nice stuff! Regarding the top diagram on this stage:
http://www.geocities.com/jupiter_irbm/diagrams.htm
What the hell is a "Skirk"? It's called that on the warhead page also.

Pat

Damn! That's a typo. Should be "skirt". I'll fix it.

Rusty

You had me going there- I thought that Wernher and the boys had coined
another original term, like "Brennschluss"!

Pat

Old February 9th 04, 05:36 PM
Paolo Ulivi

Rusty Barton wrote:
I found an interesting website by a person that took part
in the installation of Jupiter missiles in Turkey in 1961.
He has some great color photos of the event.

This is one of the events that led to the Cuban Missile Crisis
less than a year later.

Take a look at his website:

http://www.hlswilliwaw.com/Turkey/ht...ssiles-Pg1.htm

Interesting logo on the side of the Jupiter missile in addition
to the Turkish flag.

My Jupiter IRBM History Website can be found at this URL:

http://www.geocities.com/jupiter_irbm/index.html

- Rusty Barton

Great site!
Just one questiom: the Jupiters deployed here in Italy were really
completely unmarked?
Just in case you are interested, a law proposal made to the Italian
parliament some years ago calls for turning the old Jupiter pads into a
museum of the cold war
Old February 10th 04, 04:37 AM
Richard Stewart

Rusty Barton wrote:

I found an interesting website by a person that took part
in the installation of Jupiter missiles in Turkey in 1961.
He has some great color photos of the event.

This is one of the events that led to the Cuban Missile Crisis
less than a year later.

Take a look at his website:

http://www.hlswilliwaw.com/Turkey/ht...ssiles-Pg1.htm

What sort of security surrounded these missles?

I'm just thinking of spetsnaz/covertops getting in to sabotage the
launchers/missiles on the eve of a (theretical) surprise first strike.

Slightly more difficult in the US, but somewhere like Turkey, would be more
'open' I guess...

Cheers,
Richard

Old February 10th 04, 05:57 AM
Rusty Barton

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 18:36:58 +0100, Paolo Ulivi
wrote:

Just one questiom: the Jupiters deployed here in Italy were really
completely unmarked?
Just in case you are interested, a law proposal made to the Italian
parliament some years ago calls for turning the old Jupiter pads into a
museum of the cold war

I have only been able to find two photos of the Gioia del Colle
Jupiter missiles. Those photos are on my website and show no markings.
They came from a booklet titled, "From Snark to Peacekeeper: a
pictorial history of Strategic Air Command" published by the U.S. Air
Force in March 1990.

I hope more photos can be found to answer the question of markings.
I would be expect the Italian Air Force roundel to be painted on
the missiles at the very least, since the British and Turks had
their national markings on the IRBM's under their control.

Interesting about the proposal to make old missile sites into museums.

A Titan 2 missile silo in the state of Arizona has been turned into
a cold war museum by a private organization.

http://www.pimaair.org/TitanMM/titanhome.shtml

In the state of South Dakota the U. S. National Park Service is
turning a Minuteman 2 Silo and Launch Control Facility into a museum
due to open in the summer of 2004.

http://www.nps.gov/mimi/

http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_books/mimi/hrs.htm

- Rusty Barton

Old February 10th 04, 06:30 AM
Rusty Barton

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 15:37:03 +1100, Richard Stewart
wrote:

I found an interesting website by a person that took part
in the installation of Jupiter missiles in Turkey in 1961.
He has some great color photos of the event.

This is one of the events that led to the Cuban Missile Crisis
less than a year later.

Take a look at his website:

http://www.hlswilliwaw.com/Turkey/ht...ssiles-Pg1.htm

What sort of security surrounded these missles?

I'm just thinking of spetsnaz/covertops getting in to sabotage the
launchers/missiles on the eve of a (theretical) surprise first strike.

Slightly more difficult in the US, but somewhere like Turkey, would be more
'open' I guess...

The missiles in Italy and Turkey were both vulnerable to sabotage. In
a once secret State Department report from Sept. 1961, a U. S.
government offical visiting the Italian Jupiter sites said, "...a
saboteur could bust the skin of one of the birds with a rifle...". I
have the full text of his report on my Jupiter missile website:

http://www.geocities.com/jupiter_irbm/italy.htm

- Rusty Barton