Counter clockwise rotation of planets?

Old September 30th 03, 09:57 AM
Zarkovic

Uranus' unusual tipped over spin axis may have
resulted from it forming from a collision of two large bodies.

Llanzlan

Can someone describe a picture for me of how say for example two huge
gaseous bodies that collide actually alter each other's spin axis and what
not. I understand the huge pressures of gas and that the pressures increase
as you go deeper into the planet, but still is it possible to alter the spin
axis that much of such a huge gaseous body such as Uranus by another gaseous
body? Also just for the hell of it, is there anything in our solar system
that could actually go through one of those gaseous planets and I mean like
some huge body? I am guessing not and it seems like a stupid question, but
here on Earth it just doesn't go hand in hand like that, that a gaseous
bodies have strengths of those made of metals and so on. Anyhow carry on and
I'll cut my ranting.

Old September 30th 03, 10:50 AM
Bill C.

Phyloe,

My coffee cup and I think you're absolutely right. We're mostly Northern
Hemispherers making up the rules of the world. Its kind of natural when
everyone around you has the same bias to see it as a principle.

Bill C.

"Phyloe" wrote in message
Doesn't it depend on how you are looking? Take a can of soup. Look at

one
end and turn it counter clockwise. While doing this flip the can end for
end. You will find the other end spinning clockwise.
Phyloe

"Bill Duncan" wrote in message
et...
Except for Venus and Uranus,why do the rest of the planets including
the sun and even our own galaxy spin counter clockwise?Thanks,Bill.

Old September 30th 03, 10:50 AM
Bill C.

"Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th" wrote in message
7.6...
Bill Duncan wrote in
et:

The original intrinsic angular
momentum of Venus was lost due to tidal locking and its' current situation
may be a resonance effect.

Do we know what it tidal locked with? The sun?

Bill C.

Old September 30th 03, 01:51 PM
Ugo

"Bill C." wrote in message

"Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th" wrote in message
7.6...
Bill Duncan wrote in
et:

The original intrinsic angular
momentum of Venus was lost due to tidal locking and its' current

situation
may be a resonance effect.

Do we know what it tidal locked with? The sun?

I'm also curious. Isn't tidal locking to the Sun a bit unreasonable at the
distance Venus is? Let's leave Earth alone because it also has another tidal
companion and let's take our neighbor. Why wasn't Mars, some 2 times farther
from the Sun than Venus also slowed down drastically?
I'm more inclined to say that a large impact during Venusian history
severely disrupted its rotational axis and period, but I'm no expert at
this.
Comments?

Old September 30th 03, 06:23 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Ugo
writes
"Bill C." wrote in message

"Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th" wrote in message
7.6...
Bill Duncan wrote in
et:

The original intrinsic angular
momentum of Venus was lost due to tidal locking and its' current

situation
may be a resonance effect.

Do we know what it tidal locked with? The sun?

I'm also curious. Isn't tidal locking to the Sun a bit unreasonable at the
distance Venus is? Let's leave Earth alone because it also has another tidal
companion and let's take our neighbor. Why wasn't Mars, some 2 times farther
from the Sun than Venus also slowed down drastically?
I'm more inclined to say that a large impact during Venusian history
severely disrupted its rotational axis and period, but I'm no expert at
this.

Nor am I, but I gather that the theory about a large impact has been
joined by the new one, which says there was some sort of interaction
between Venus' atmosphere and the solar wind. On the subject of tidal
effects, there's also the may-be-coincidental relationships between
Venus' orbital and the Earth's year.
--
"Forty millions of miles it was from us, more than forty millions of miles of
void"

Old September 30th 03, 07:03 PM
Bill Duncan

"Phyloe" wrote in message
Doesn't it depend on how you are looking? Take a can of soup. Look at

one
end and turn it counter clockwise. While doing this flip the can end for
end. You will find the other end spinning clockwise.
Phyloe

"Bill Duncan" wrote in message
et...
Except for Venus and Uranus,why do the rest of the planets including
the sun and even our own galaxy spin counter clockwise?Thanks,Bill.

When I included our galaxy,I was using all of the artists' concepts

showing what our galaxy might look like if viewed from above and where
we are located in it.I know we see it from the edge.I also know our
galaxy is considered to be a spiral one.So can you tell me how an
astronomer can determine the shape of our own galaxy froom an edge on
view.Thanks,Bill.