Sampling Mars Surface???

Old October 2nd 03, 05:51 AM
Ralph Hertle

David Knisely:

Have spiders been considered as a mechanical model for a robotic vehicle
for exploration on Mars?

I've been watching a daddy-long-legs type of spider, and it seems to me
that throughout the eons they have become well adapted for traversing
many difficult types of terrain. The cube-strength rule would apply, and
a literal scaled up version of a spider may not be strong enough.
However, composites in combination with engineered flexibility would
improve the strength to weight ratio.

Machined metal slabs won't hack it; they need complex formed exoskeleton
parts made by electrochemical machining, and also compression molded
carbon fiber parts.

Wheels and wheel spin are out. That seems like the result of hiring
newbies that have to reinvent the entire science in order to get any
results. That was called going through the motions during WW2 when
people were dying at the front, and new results were needed. And since
in most corporations in our Post-Modernist world ideas mostly do not
flow upwards in the hierarchy from persons who have the detailed
knowledge and experience to the decision makers, the solutions are often
reinvented - errors and all. The new Mazda RX7 is an example; its new
but not new. It was a learning experience for the designer, very
competently done - but done when a world class discovery of a new design
innovation was needed. Nice - but its not a Ferrari Testa Rossa or a VW
Beetle.

A computer controlled eight legged spider analog could avoid obstacles
by stepping over them, it could make great changes of its center of
gravity, it could right itself, and it could climb steep hills. Speed is
not an issue; energy efficiency and computerized thoughtfulness is. Time
is the one thing that the machine would have lots of. It might use a
charger-commo base like a phone, and it wouldn't have to carry a lot of
solar cells and big radios. The spider could pickup and change different
tools from the base, e.g., vision tools, water sensors, drills, or
gathering gadgets, for example. The machine tool industry has lots of
know how in that area. It could drill a hole one day and sight see the
next.

Could it have two hemispheres of high-res video vision and turn a profit
on the mission?

Ralph Hertle

Old October 4th 03, 09:19 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Sampling Mars surface has been done.(not to well) We got two rovers
trying it again,on Mars equatorial planes. If I had my say one would
have explored the North Pole. Still we are looking forward to seeing the
landing rovers on TV. It really is better than all those reruns.The
beginning of 2004 could be the most interesting new year ever. Bert