Curiosity

Old April 30th 12, 02:42 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Brian Gaff

Default Curiosity

So the news item says 100 days to the landing of a SUV sized rover on Mars.
One assumes that the eventual aim is to send men there, but in the meantime,
I've been reading about the weird way this is supposed to land. It may be
just me, but considering the track record of lannding on the planet in
general, it does seem prone to failures escpecially near the actual
landing.

I hope not, but I wonder what odds the bookies would put on it working.
Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.

Old April 30th 12, 03:24 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
hg

On 30/04/2012 18:42, Brian Gaff wrote:
So the news item says 100 days to the landing of a SUV sized rover on Mars.
One assumes that the eventual aim is to send men there, but in the meantime,
I've been reading about the weird way this is supposed to land. It may be
just me, but considering the track record of lannding on the planet in
general, it does seem prone to failures escpecially near the actual
landing.

I hope not, but I wonder what odds the bookies would put on it working.
Brian

Scientifically, the odds increase with every successful landing, as
more atmospheric landing data is sent back and gives us more info
about the atmosphere of Mars. So, hopefully Entry,Descent & Landing
in following missions becomes safer.

Actually, I'm guessing the landing on this mission will be the
safest of any mission yet - as it's powered & controlled. Hazards,
such as large boulders or small shallow craters would have killed
the landing of the air-bag missions - that's what a landing engineer
said at JPL.
Can't remember how well the hazard avoidance mechanism worked on
the Phoenix lander though.

Anyway, 100 days?! Bring it on, a Mars landing always gets my
blood racing with excitement.

Old April 30th 12, 03:35 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message ...

There's been a lot of discussion here in the past on the complexity of the
"sky-crane" plan.

It is a bit daunting, but honestly, trying to land something that big on
Mars in one piece w/o the benefit of a nice think atmosphere is going to be
daunting no matter what you do.

Personally, I'd give it better than 50/50 odds.

Old May 1st 12, 05:46 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Brian Gaff

Yes, well I remember the European Beagle 2 fiasco, and the Polar lander, but
in thos cases I think they basically know what and why things went wrong,
though seem to have never found any sign of either of them.
Brian

Email:

Old May 1st 12, 04:33 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Tue, 1 May 2012 05:46:12 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Yes, well I remember the European Beagle 2 fiasco, and the Polar lander, but
in thos cases I think they basically know what and why things went wrong,
though seem to have never found any sign of either of them.

I don't think they ever narrowed it down to which of the myriad
possible things actually killed Beagle 2.
Old May 2nd 12, 10:13 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Bob Haller

wrote:
Yes, well I remember the European Beagle 2 fiasco, and the Polar lander, but
in thos cases I think they basically know what and why things went wrong,
though seem to have never found any sign of either of them.

I don't think they ever narrowed it down to which of the myriad
possible things actually killed Beagle 2.

I think the sky crane s overly complex and going to be a big pricey
failure