Interstellar space 'full of Jupiter-size orphan planets'

Old May 20th 11, 04:19 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Orval Fairbairn

Default Interstellar space 'full of Jupiter-size orphan planets'

In article
,
Pat Flannery wrote:

On 5/19/2011 10:34 AM, Orval Fairbairn wrote:
Of course, blindly setting off at relatavistic speeds is a recipe for
sure disaster! hitting even a pea-sized mass at that speed would release
the energy equivalent of an atomic bomb. So, unless you have some kind
of shielding or space-warping techniques, brute force interstellar would
be a minefield.

Not only that, but the more distant your target star is, the more
difficult to know where exactly it will be when you arrive at it.
Not only do you have the problem of knowing all the data on its position
is already many years old as its light traveled to Earth, but you also
have to figure out how its position has changed by gravitational effects
of other stars that may have come near it over time, like a three-body
problem gone mad.
They never seem to discuss how the starship slows down at the end of its
trip so it can get more than a few hours glimpse of the target solar
system as it moves through it at near light speed.

Pat

Correct on both counts! In addition, navigation computers might have to
resort to multiple precision calculations to accommodate the ephemeris
data necessary to navigate. Numeric integration over several years can
result in some pretty significant errors!
Old May 20th 11, 03:22 PM posted to sci.space.policy
John Park

Pat Flannery ) writes:
On 5/19/2011 8:38 AM, jacob navia wrote:

I always thought that warp drives work only in another dimension.

Speeding within the Milky Way at almost light speed is impossible
anyway since a single wandering dust of 200 grams hitting the
spaceship has an energy of an atomic bomb of 1.4937 megatons...

That's why you make starships by hollowing out dead white dwarf stars,
so you have a couple of hundred miles of diamond between you and outer
space for the dust particles to run into.
Assuming the shell would support itself, everything inside this literal
"star-ship" would be weightless, so you could actually make the concept
work...although the hollowing out part of it might be a bit much under
its surface gravity field. :-D

Also you have to wait for your white dwarf to "die" (by which time you could
probably have walked to wherever you were thinking of going).

--John Park
Old May 20th 11, 07:23 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 5/20/2011 6:22 AM, John Park wrote:

Also you have to wait for your white dwarf to "die" (by which time you could
probably have walked to wherever you were thinking of going).

You see, you look for one that's already dead using a starship.
Then, once you find one, you can use it to make a starship...wait a
minute...there's a problem here...
Okay, if we start out with a chicken, it can lay eggs and those will
hatch into more chickens...first we must make a rooster to mate with it
by genetically engineering the DNA of a dinosaur found trapped in amber.
Probably a smaller dinosaur like Compsognathus, as a T-Rex would be
unlikely to climb up into a tree where sap could get on it.
....although a Redwood tree would be strong enough to support a T-Rex,
allowing it to jump onto passing prey from three hundred feet up as it
hid in the branches at the top, neatly explaining how something
forty-five feet long could sneak up on its prey stealthily and at high
speed.
I'd write more, but I have to call Jack Horner and tell him about this
new theory and check up on how his chicken/dinosaur work is going:
http://www.wired.com/medtech/genetic...ne/17-03/st_qa

Pat ;-)

Old May 21st 11, 05:44 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On May 20, 7:22*am, (John Park) wrote:
Pat Flannery ) writes:
[...]

Actually our 0.1 to 1% hollow moon is a very safe way to go
interstellar, such as from Sirius(B) to Sol.

http://www.wanttoknow.info/
http://translate.google.com/#
Old May 22nd 11, 11:35 AM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected] |

On May 19, 9:21*am, David Spain wrote:
Well brother, just the news we need.

So much for navigating through interstellar space on Warp Drive.
At least until we've charted all these guys...

;-)

Dave

Naw. We aliens just use a fairly slow boat the only goes a thirtieth
the
speed of light at most so we can avoid the deadly grains of
interstellar
sand. Of course, life-extension techniques are
vital to this approach plus semi-hibernation pods to shorten the
boring trip while maintaining muscle and bone strength.

the little green-grey pod person........................Trig
Old May 22nd 11, 04:50 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On May 22, 3:35*am, |"
wrote:
On May 19, 9:21*am, David Spain wrote:

Well brother, just the news we need.

So much for navigating through interstellar space on Warp Drive.
At least until we've charted all these guys...

;-)

Dave

Naw. We aliens just use a fairly slow boat the only goes a thirtieth
the
speed of light at most so we can avoid the deadly grains of
interstellar
sand. Of course, life-extension techniques are
vital to this approach plus semi-hibernation pods to shorten the
boring trip while maintaining muscle and bone strength.

the little green-grey pod person........................Trig

Actually .1c for the crew and passengers seems technically doable, and
good enough, as long as course changes are kept extremely minimal.

Why are you limited to .0333c (9999 km/sec)?

http://www.wanttoknow.info/
http://translate.google.com/#
Old May 24th 11, 08:43 AM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected] |

On May 19, 8:56*am, wrote:
"A team of astronomers has identified a novel
new kind of galactic wanderer - lone, Jupiter-sized
planets expelled from forming solar systems
and drifting in the empty void between the stars.

The researchers, led by Takahiro Sumi of Japan's
Osaka University, spotted 10 such free-floating
"orphan planets" in data from a 2006-7
microlensing survey of our galaxy's centre, which
searched for the tell-tale sign of transiting bodies'
gravitational fields distorting light from distant
stars.

Team member David Bennett, of the University of
Notre Dame in Indiana, explained that this first
sighting in a small portion of the Milky Way
points to enormous numbers of orphans. He
said: "Our survey is like a population census.
We sampled a portion of the galaxy, and based
on these data, can estimate overall numbers in
the galaxy.""

See:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/19/orphan_planets/

This could be useful for providing credible techno-babble in the
remake
of "When Worlds Collide."

gone Hollywood.........................Trig
Old May 24th 11, 08:47 AM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected] |

On May 22, 8:50*am, Brad Guth wrote:
On May 22, 3:35*am, |"

wrote:
[...]

*Brad Guth, Brad_Guth, Brad.Guth, BradGuth, BG / “Guth Usenet”

The lowest bidder developed the drives plus there are safety trade-
offs
or so I told.

When you live nearly forever, you are more risk adverse...........Trig
Old May 24th 11, 10:42 AM posted to sci.space.policy
American

On May 19, 5:08*pm, Pat Flannery wrote:
On 5/19/2011 8:38 AM, jacob navia wrote:

I always thought that warp drives work only in another dimension.

Speeding within the Milky Way at almost light speed is impossible
anyway since a single wandering dust of 200 grams hitting the
spaceship has an energy of an atomic bomb of 1.4937 megatons...

That's why you make starships by hollowing out dead white dwarf stars,
so you have a couple of hundred miles of diamond between you and outer
space for the dust particles to run into.
Assuming the shell would support itself, everything inside this literal
"star-ship" would be weightless, so you could actually make the concept
work...although the hollowing out part of it might be a bit much under
its surface gravity field. :-D

Pat

Since everyone seems to be absolutely convinced over
FTL velocities being not achievable, due to the presence
of interstellar dust particles exploding like hydrogen
bombs, then it must be concluded that any interstellar
location will at best be reached at subluminal velocity,
which in this case seems most feasible.

However, in these instances, the space between distant
locations can only be reached by transversing through the
plane of the galaxy, but not purely within an interference-
free zone, with the 3D space that exists, as a projection
into both the upper and lower halves of the galaxy, between
two objects, or locations.

The purest form of FTL flight would use any field that exists
without interfering excitations that result in its carrying infor-
mation from one location above the spiral arm thickness to
another, distant location, that is still above the spiral arm
thickness. This represents the ideal field of transversal.

The field of transversal above or below the plane of the
galaxy would also represent the type of interference-free
zone that achieves instantaneous communication to anywhere
in the (projected plane) of the galaxy. Of course, instantaneous
communication could be achieved to anywhere within the
galaxy's spiral arms, however, one would have to take
into consideration the large number of repeat, brute force
transmissions through this space that might rarely locate
the most clear path of instantaneous communication for
a few seconds, to then become blocked again by
an interfering body a few light years distant.

How far above or below the plane of the galaxy that an
interference free zone" might exist, depends upon the
maximum thickness of the spiral arms, which tend to be
about 1000 LY, meaning that there is approximately 500 LY
above and 500 LY below the plane of the galaxy.
One should also note that this thickness increases to
its maximum, as one approaches the center of the galaxy,
so that the 500 LY thickness is probably more on the
order of 100LY at the outer edges.

American

"Some rocket scientists are like the TSA of space travel -
way too tight and way too much into micromanaging their
own paranoia"