Starlight-xpress Vs. SBIG

Old July 12th 03, 03:20 AM
Phil S.

Default Starlight-xpress Vs. SBIG

Thanks Roger for that very complete reply.
I made the descision and ordered a ST-7XME. It should be here next
Tuesday. I plan on keeping my ST-237A as a planetary camera and a guider,
at least for now.

I guess the reasons for going this way we
Price, Availbility, Sensitivity, Familliarity with SBIG software, and the
self guiding ability, also gut feel, which isn't always reliable.

No matter what I get there is always something better in some way.
I expect to have fun with this camera, and I suppose some frustration too.

Thanks again,
Phil S.

"Roger Hamlett" wrote in
:

"Phil S." wrote in message
. 3.44...
Anyone have any opinions on the relative merits of each company's
cameras? I probably am going to buy a ST-7xme or a ST-2000xm. Are
the Starlight- xpress cameras comparable. I have a st-237a and want
to get a

self-guiding
camera. How does the software compare?

e-mail me personally if you'd rather not post.

Thanks for any comments.
Phil S.

http://my.execpc.com/~philsch/Astrophotos/Astro.htm

There are a series of different 'parts' to the answer:
1) The SBIG software 'out of the box', is better. However if you use a
third party package (Maxim/Astroart), this doesn't matter, but it is a
big plus for the SBIG units.
2) The ability to guide from anywhere on the image field with the
Starlight camera, is great, but costs you 50% of the cameras
sensitivity. It is excellent, if you want (for instance), to guide on
moving objects, like comets. Conversely, the seperate guide CCD, on
the SBIG cameras, can be a pig to place for some objects (planning
with a planetarium program becomes essential), but you have full
camera sensitivity. 3) Both solutions can be less than optimal, if you
want to image of narrow band filters (Ha for instance). Here a
seperate guide scope, and guide camera (such as an STV, or the newer
starlight SVX camera, with it's add-on 'guide' camera), becomes the
better solution. 4) The Starlight cameras, are lighter, but with the
standard camera, you end up with a lot of cables (camera, interface
box, S2000 guide unit, PSU, and a nest of cables between them). The
SVX solves this, by integrating everything into one module. The SBIG
cameras integrate everything into the camera module, but are heavy as
a result. 5) If your mount is not excellent, or you intend to try
imaging deep sky, at longer focal lengths, the SBIG cameras have the
AO7 system, which beats any other reasonably priced guide solution.
6) The Starlight cameras have a lot less thermal noise (less
difference here with the ST-2000xm, than with some of the other
cameras). This makes imaging without a dark frame possible, which can
reduce the amount of time wasted on a session. However the regulated
temperature system on the SBIG cameras, potentially allows a 'library'
of dark frames to be generated, reducing this problem.
7) The shutter on the Starlight cameras (with some software), can go
down to 0.001secs. For bright planetary images, this can remove/reduce
the need for ND filters. However there is again less difference here,
than with the other SBIG cameras (which with the mechanical shutters,
can typically only go down to about 1/9th second exposure, while the
2000, can go to 0.01secs). 8) The 'integrated' filter wheel option, is
nice, and while you can run the same wheel on the Starlight cameras,
it is a lot simpler to wire, with a single cable between the camera,
and wheel, on the SBIG system. Personally, I have used cameras from
both manufacturers, and would take the Starlight camera, on holiday,
running without a filter wheel, for mono imaging, but for a permanent
setup, would probably swing to the SBIG camera. However if you include
the SVX, in the equation, I might well go the 'other way', and take
this as first choice, with a small guide scope, but using other
software than the supplied package, given the current pricing.

Best Wishes

Old July 12th 03, 03:29 AM
Phil S.

"Rob Pollard" wrote in news:beesf2$4bgv3$1@ID-
96892.news.dfncis.de:

http://www.robpol.demon.co.uk

Thanks for the reply Rob.
Those are great images.

I made the descision to buy a ST-7XME a few days ago. I hope I don't regret
it. I think the skill of the operator is more important that the
equipment.

Phil S.

See link below for my meager efforts with the ST-237A.
http://my.execpc.com/~philsch/Astrophotos/Astro.htm