NASA Kepler Mission Launch

Old March 7th 09, 09:43 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics,alt.sci.physics,alt.astronomy,sci.space.policy
Bluuuue Rajah

Default NASA Kepler Mission Launch

NASA Kepler Mission Launch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1pKR...e=channel_page
Old March 7th 09, 10:17 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics,alt.sci.physics,alt.astronomy,sci.space.policy
Eric Gisse

On Mar 7, 12:43*pm, Bluuuue Rajah Bluuuuue@Rajah. wrote:
NASA Kepler Mission Launch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1pKR...e=channel_page

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n4851386.shtml

Another notable thing is that the upgraded Delta 2 has only had two
launch failures out of more than a hundred - a better record than the
shuttle.

I hope the planet finder works to spec, I'm very excited for what it
will find.
Old March 7th 09, 10:55 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics,alt.sci.physics,alt.astronomy,sci.space.policy
BradGuth

On Mar 7, 1:43*pm, Bluuuue Rajah Bluuuuue@Rajah. wrote:
NASA Kepler Mission Launch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1pKR...e=channel_page

So far so good, whereas thankfully there were no corporate syndicated
reasons to sabotage the Kepler mission, as having clearly existed with
the OCO mission.

According to Wikipedia, in addition to our heading towards Sirius at
7.6 km/s, seems we’re also seemingly headed towards Cygni at 64 km/s,
and it’s only 11.4 ly distant as is. Obviously stellar motions
(including our own) are a wee bit more complicated then that.

A large red dwarf with those likely planets is what the spendy Kepler
mission is going to catalog the obvious, that other stars (the older
the better) accommodate viable life capable planets. “Cygni A” may
have a large outer planet with a 7.5 year orbit. The smaller “Cygni
B” could also have planets, just like a much larger version of Jupiter
would have moons as possibly larger than Earth. Eventually we’ll get
to within 9 ly of “Cygni A/B”, or rather it’s “Cygni A/B” that’s
migrating towards us and Sirius at the same time.

Our Selene L1 along with an artificial shade would have been an ideal
location for such observations as of 4+ decades ago. According to our
Apollo missions, our Selene/moon L1 is quite passive, not the least
bit toasty or receiving any kind of unusual X-ray or gamma from our
naked Selene/moon. (must be the unusually high vacuum of 1e-181e-21
bar)

~ BG
Old March 7th 09, 10:58 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics,alt.sci.physics,alt.astronomy,sci.space.policy
BradGuth

Eric Gisse wrote:
On Mar 7, 12:43*pm, Bluuuue Rajah Bluuuuue@Rajah. wrote:
NASA Kepler Mission Launch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1pKR...e=channel_page

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n4851386.shtml

Another notable thing is that the upgraded Delta 2 has only had two
launch failures out of more than a hundred - a better record than the
shuttle.

I hope the planet finder works to spec, I'm very excited for what it
will find.

I would be flabbergasted if it didn't discover at least a good
thousand stars hosting planets within it's FOV.

~ BG
Old March 7th 09, 11:01 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics,alt.sci.physics,alt.astronomy,sci.space.policy
Lofty Goat

On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 14:17:31 -0800, Eric Gisse wrote:

On Mar 7, 12:43Â*pm, Bluuuue Rajah Bluuuuue@Rajah. wrote:
NASA Kepler Mission Launch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1pKR...e=channel_page

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n4851386.shtml

Another notable thing is that the upgraded Delta 2 has only had two
launch failures out of more than a hundred - a better record than the
shuttle.

I hope the planet finder works to spec, I'm very excited for what it
will find.

Yeah. As a little kid I followed the Space Program the same way my peers
followed their favorite sports. It's still exciting, as much for seeing
a machine as big as a medium-sized office building fly off into the sky
as for the thought of all the new things to be learned. Yeah.

-- RLW
Old March 7th 09, 11:27 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics,alt.sci.physics,alt.astronomy,sci.space.policy
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

It's not that much of a difference, 141 vs 131 flights.

Statistically that's about the same. 98.6% vs 98.5%

--
Greg Moore
Ask me about lily, an RPI based CMC.

Old March 8th 09, 12:08 AM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics,alt.sci.physics,alt.astronomy,sci.space.policy
BradGuth

"Eric Gisse" wrote in message

On Mar 7, 12:43 pm, Bluuuue Rajah Bluuuuue@Rajah. wrote:

NASA Kepler Mission Launch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1pKR...e=channel_page

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n4851386.shtml

Another notable thing is that the upgraded Delta 2 has only had two
launch failures out of more than a hundred - a better record than the
shuttle.

I hope the planet finder works to spec, I'm very excited for what it
will find.

Perhaps it'll find a planet for you to live on, and to fend for
yourself since you're so damn smart and all, but yet no matters what
the planet Venus still isn't even on your short list.

~ BG
Old March 8th 09, 12:53 AM posted to sci.astro,alt.sci.physics,alt.astronomy,sci.space.policy
Uncle Al

Bluuuue Rajah wrote:

NASA Kepler Mission Launch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1pKR...e=channel_page

SETI is definitive: There are no technological civilizations within a
50 lightyear radius of Earth (and damned few in Africa).

Consider the following 25 stars, all close enough to have heard our
radio blather, and of similar spectral type and size as our own Sol
whose system we know harbors life:

Spectral Distance Right Ascension Declination Constellation
Type lightyrs hrs min sec deg min sec
G0(V) 19 00 49 06.0 57 48 58 Cassiopeia
G0(V) 23 00 20 04.2 -64 52 30 Tucana
G0(V) 25 11 18 10.9 31 31 45 Ursa Major
G0(V) 27 13 11 52.3 27 52 41 Coma Berenices
G0(V) 30 12 33 44.5 41 21 27 Canes Venatici
G0(V) 38 03 09 04.0 49 36 48 Perseus
G0(V) 45 17 20 39.5 32 28 04 Hercules
G0(V) 47 07 51 46.2 -13 53 53 Puppis
G0(V) 49 06 46 44.3 43 34 39 Auriga
G0(IV) 31 16 41 17.1 31 36 10 Hercules
G0(IV) 32 13 54 41.0 18 23 52 Bootes
G1(V) 39 15 03 47.3 47 39 16 Bootes
G1(V) 42 02 22 32.5 -23 48 59 Fornix
G1(IV) 21 00 25 45.3 -77 15 16 Hydrus
G1.5(V) 38 01 41 47.1 42 36 49 Andromeda
G2(V) 499 light-seconds Our local star
G2(V) 37 03 18 12.8 -62 30 23 Reticulum
G2(V) 49 05 19 08.4 40 05 57 Auriga
G3(V) 37 17 44 08.6 -54 30 01 Ara
G3(V) 37 13 12 03.1 -37 48 11 Centaurus
G4(V) 37 03 17 46.1 -62 34 32 Reticulum
G5(V) 25 01 08 16.3 54 55 14 Cassiopeia
G5(V) 31 03 19 21.6 03 22 13 Cetus
G5(V) 33 11 46 31.0 -40 30 01 Centaurus
G5(IV) 26 17 46 27.5 27 43 15 Hercules
G5(IV) 53 20 46 39.3 16 07 27 Delphinis

The Earth was quiet in 1900. It was loud as Hell starting with Del
Rio, Texas Christ-besotted jackasses. There is every reason to
believe it will again be silent by 2100, permanently. The whole of
Teran technological civilization will rise and fall within two
achievable lifetimes.

--
Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
Old March 8th 09, 02:38 AM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics,alt.sci.physics,alt.astronomy,sci.space.policy
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article
,

"Eric Gisse" wrote in message

On Mar 7, 12:43 pm, Bluuuue Rajah Bluuuuue@Rajah. wrote:

NASA Kepler Mission Launch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1pKR...e=channel_page

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n4851386.shtml

Another notable thing is that the upgraded Delta 2 has only had two
launch failures out of more than a hundred - a better record than the
shuttle.

I hope the planet finder works to spec, I'm very excited for what it
will find.

Perhaps it'll find a planet for you to live on, and to fend for
yourself since you're so damn smart and all, but yet no matters what
the planet Venus still isn't even on your short list.

~ BG

We're saving Venus for Guthy Gander!

Old March 8th 09, 07:31 AM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics,alt.sci.physics,alt.astronomy,sci.space.policy
Bluuuue Rajah

Eric Gisse wrote in news:b34da44b-9707-4385-93b8-
:

On Mar 7, 12:43*pm, Bluuuue Rajah Bluuuuue@Rajah. wrote:
NASA Kepler Mission Launch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1pKR...e=channel_page

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n4851386.shtml

Another notable thing is that the upgraded Delta 2 has only had two
launch failures out of more than a hundred - a better record than the
shuttle.

I hope the planet finder works to spec, I'm very excited for what it
will find.

The important trick will be cutting costs on Terrestrial Planet Finder.
Although it looks for plnets in the habitable zone, Kepler can still
only see the giants. Whatever it discovers will be nothing anybody
could have anticipated, but at best populated only by bizarre and
extreme forms of life.

TPF will solve this problem, but the current design is too complex and
expensive to be certain of cost control. $6B is *waay* too much. For a
better chance at success, we need to trim it down to "Better, Smaller,
Faster" size.