...New Analysis of Viking Mission Results Indicates Presence of Life on Mars (Forwarded)

Old January 14th 07, 12:52 AM posted to sci.space.history
Herb Schaltegger[_1_]

Default ...New Analysis of Viking Mission Results Indicates Presence of Life on Mars (Forwarded)

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 18:42:08 -0600, Pat Flannery wrote
(in article ):

Herb Schaltegger wrote:
It's EXACTLY how I pictured you Pat! :-)

And here's my butler, Jeeves:
http://www.robcrusade.com/images/mov...klytus_jpg.jpg

Pat

Again, presuming you had a man-servsant, that's what I would have
pictured.

I presume you have one of these around the house as well.

http://www.aurorarobson.com/blog/upl..._monkey_masks-
714392.jpg

--
Herb Schaltegger
"You can run on for a long time . . . sooner or later, God'll cut you

Old January 15th 07, 01:45 AM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
George[_1_]

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

George wrote:
Hehehe. No, he had moderately long, scruffy hair, and a heavy beard.
Now that I think about it, he looked a little like Mullah Omar with a
big stomach!

Oh, I had one of those too! My late fiction teacher who was convinced he
was a Hobbit due to his hairy feet.
Unfortunately he passed away long before Peter Jackson did LOTR, which is
a great shame, as I'm sure he'd have died in a state of complete rapture
around the time the Balrog showed up in the first one. :-)

Pat

lol!

George

Old January 15th 07, 06:35 AM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_4_]

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 17:22:22 -0600, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Here's one of me:
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...nk/flash10.jpg

....Really? I would have guessed this:
http://www.uglyjackass.com/cool_stuf...wee_herman.jpg

....And as far as Rand goes:
http://web.dis.unimelb.edu.au/pgrad/...rly_howard.jpg

....And as for Brad Guth:
http://www.io.com/~o_m/omworld/image...ddam_hung1.jpg

....Oh, and the last time that one of Henry was considered "up to
date", the Ten Commandments had just fallen off the best chisled list.

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old January 15th 07, 07:31 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:
...And as far as Rand goes:
http://web.dis.unimelb.edu.au/pgrad/...rly_howard.jpg

Oh, Rand's photo is out the
http://www.samizdata.net/blog/~pdeh/rand_perry.JPG
Rand's the guy on the left.
And no, I don't know why he looks like he's got a tranquilizer dart in
his butt.
At least Henry trimmed his beard a bit; the first time I saw a photo of
him he looked like one of the usual suspects in a attempt to assassinate
the Czar.
But overall, the beard helps his looks, as can be seen in this photo of
him without one: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/35038148/ ;-)
Seriously, here's a shot of him without one: http://www.quut.com/c/henry/
This is a early photo, taken before color photography was developed. :-)

Pat
Old January 15th 07, 07:53 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:
...Really? I would have guessed this:
http://www.uglyjackass.com/cool_stuf...wee_herman.jpg

You know who you forgot? William Mook:
http://ravenrocks.org/Mook/
He says it's a Fresnel concentrator, but I think it's part of this:
http://www.mvsc.k12.in.us/mhs/pnn/im...%20machine.bmp
Which does a lot to explain his futuristic ideas doesn't it?
So what would William Mook look like with a beard?
That's easy: http://www.cylon.org/images/flash/flash-web-004b.jpg ;-)

Pat
Old January 17th 07, 10:13 AM posted to sci.space.history
Williamknowsbest

I actually saw that time machine movie AFTER I built the fresnel array
out of mirror stainless and thought isn't that interesting! haha..

My mirrors didn't spin, but they did tilt and rotate to track the sun!

I first built parabolae by spin forming them on a big-ass lathe against
a wood mold - and coated them with mylar. I then tried fiberglass on
the mold - coated with mylar again. Then, I fabbed the mirrors shown
there by using a CNC cutter to cut parts out of mirror stainless and
then weld them together. That's a very flexible way to build stuff. I
eventually went to stamping fresnel patterns in sheet metal which
reduced fabrication costs dramatically. I got rid of pasting Mylar film
on things and made a very sturdy structure

Then, I abaondoned the whole thing altogether as I went to hot-press
molded PET film vacuum coated with aluminum on the backside stabilized
with molded expanded styrene inserts. A very lightweight and low-cost
system. Less than $1 per square meter! THEN I hit upon water filled
lenses! This got rid of a separate water cooling for the pV at the
focus and and the copper block mounts for PV cells. AND let me cool
them from both side which was awesome.

All I had to do was hot-press mold 2 PET films and join them together
ultrasonically in a water bath to make a lens array for less than $0.30
per square meter! The lowest cost way I know to harvest sunlight!

That's about $0.30 per KW! At 500+ solars (geometric) the PV costs
don't amount to much. about $3.10 per square meter of collector area.
Copper foil and connectors along with structural components are the
biggest costs, about $4.50 per square meter. There's 850 W/m2 of
DIRECT sunlight in Ohio and I'm about 23% efficient with my system.
So, that's 195 W/m2 electrial. Total cost is $7.90- that's $0.04 per
peak watt. Installation, transport, balance of system costs add
another $0.03.

The only remaining cost is the tracking system to keep the sun at the
focus, but I've even got rid of that in my latest designs!