Did Galileo/Cassini anti-nuke crowd go AWOL?

Old September 27th 03, 05:09 AM
Henry Spencer

Default Did Galileo/Cassini anti-nuke crowd go AWOL?

In article ,
dinges wrote:
...RTG's have not been used in
LEO, because solar energy works well and is plentiful and cheaper...

I believe this is not correct. I vaguelly recall some weather-satellite
named NIMBUS that was powered with RTGs. Can anybody verify this?

Correct. Some of the Nimbus experimental weather satellites had both
solar arrays and RTGs. Also, some of the Transit navigation satellites
had RTGs. Back in the days when solar arrays were new and not that good,
and anti-nuclear jitters were largely absent, using isotope power in LEO
was quite a respectable idea.
--
MOST launched 1015 EDT 30 June, separated 1046, | Henry Spencer
first ground-station pass 1651, all nominal! |
Old September 30th 03, 04:49 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Henry Spencer" wrote in message
dinges wrote:
...RTG's have not been used in
LEO, because solar energy works well and is plentiful and cheaper...

I believe this is not correct. I vaguelly recall some weather-satellite
named NIMBUS that was powered with RTGs. Can anybody verify this?

Correct. Some of the Nimbus experimental weather satellites had both
solar arrays and RTGs. Also, some of the Transit navigation satellites
had RTGs. Back in the days when solar arrays were new and not that good,
and anti-nuclear jitters were largely absent, using isotope power in LEO
was quite a respectable idea.

Also the Russian radarsats (such as the one that crashed in Henry's
backyard) used nuclear energy. They orbited at a fairly low altitude and
the drag from solar arrays large enough to power them would have caused them
to reenter to quickly.

Old September 30th 03, 04:09 PM
Henry Spencer

In article ,
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\) wrote:
Correct. Some of the Nimbus experimental weather satellites had both
solar arrays and RTGs. Also, some of the Transit navigation satellites
had RTGs...

Also the Russian radarsats (such as the one that crashed in Henry's
backyard) used nuclear energy.

Indeed so, although that was a slightly different case -- reactors rather
than RTGs.
Old September 30th 03, 05:02 PM
Henry Spencer

In article ,
Gene DiGennaro wrote:
Didn't one of the Nimbus RTG's break up in the atmosphere and did
indeed vaporize?

If memory serves -- references are not handy -- a Transit RTG reentered
and vaporized, as they were then designed to do. That caused changes in
policy, in favor of designing for intact survival.

I believe later Nimbus RTG designs were meant to keep
the heat source intact during reentry.

Correct. I don't believe any of them have reentered, but there was a
Nimbus that failed to reach orbit. Its RTGs were found on the bottom,
recovered, refurbished, and reflown.

What about Apollo 13's RTG? Did the heat source stay intact?

Yes. A slightly different case, because the ALSEP RTGs were not launched
with heat sources installed -- the heat source was launched in a
protective cask, and was transferred to the RTG by the astronauts during
ALSEP setup on the lunar surface. Apollo 13's reentry path was chosen to
put the cask in deep ocean. Extensive air and water sampling was done
afterward to confirm that the cask had survived intact; it did.
Old October 1st 03, 03:38 PM
Gene DiGennaro

Gene DiGennaro wrote:
[...]

Thanks Henry,
I knew there were only three RTG's reentries. Forgot about Transit, it
was indeed intended to vaporise and as we all know everyone everywhere
has lung cancer!
I found some of my notes on RTG reentry from my days at Teledyne. It's
just like you said. Look for the t-shirt in the mail Henry!

Gene