The rise of celestial sphere thinking

Old September 20th 17, 07:13 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

Default The rise of celestial sphere thinking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaG6PTVrFP4&t=72s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWwmP4obdwA

The notion of the 'sun crossing the celestial equator' along with the pivoting circle of illumination is heartbreaking and a recent phenomena with the emergence of computers and software promoting RA/Dec.

I have known spiteful people in my time but this, this is so unusual considering what it takes to corrupt something as beautiful as a polar dawn -

https://www.usap.gov/videoclipsandmaps/spwebcam.cfm

People must be made of stone or have convictions that so clouds their inspirational side that these events mean nothing.

Old September 21st 17, 06:10 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

The dismay at seeing satellite imaging used for a pivoting circle of illumination in order to satisfy celestial sphere observing has to hurt someone else -

http://www.nationalgeographic.com.au...n-equinox.aspx

The credits include NASA and with each year it gets worse, a descent of human reasoning to a level not seen before yet it is easily rectified if people make the effort.
Old September 21st 17, 09:20 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

One of the related videos is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-DYgGFjI

which explains a few things nicely, but it really should have started with the
anomalistic year, given its initial very exaggerated graphic.

John Savard
Old September 21st 17, 09:29 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 9:20:51 AM UTC+1, Quadibloc wrote:
One of the related videos is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-DYgGFjI

which explains a few things nicely, but it really should have started with the
anomalistic year, given its initial very exaggerated graphic.

John Savard

You have no integrity whatsoever so if you want to instruct others do so in a separate thread and stop spraying meaningless graffiti on my original work. You were given a chance to comment on the thread on mutual attraction and astronomy and failed to take it so go away and be a nuisance somewhere else.
Old September 21st 17, 09:49 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

The principles of timekeeping do not admit roiling minds but only those with the a love of reasoning employed by our ancestors and on which these system are based. The Equinox provides an opportunity to look back on the original references or forwards to new ones based on the motions of the Earth and a stationary Sun as a mark of gratitude and respect for those who came before us. The Equinox is currently described as the Sun crossing the equator or a wandering analemma Sun or anything to distract from the natural flow between the motions of the Earth,terrestrial sciences and the proximity to human timekeeping for the day and the year.

I cannot imagine why people believe the circle of illumination pivots off the Equator in order to satisfy celestial sphere concerns for why bother with astronomy at all !!!! -

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap170319.html

There is no anger here, just disappointment and sadness that people would choose to do this for the sake of celestial sphere software and the motion of the Sun across a 'celestial equator'. I would say it is the death of astronomy and what is left is not worth commenting on.
Old September 21st 17, 11:14 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

The passage of the South pole through the circle of illumination and into the direct view of the Sun is one of the great annual events at this location and it happens tomorrow -

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/antarctica/south-pole
Old September 21st 17, 09:24 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

Never has humanity sunk this low in astronomical affairs and I thought the 'pivoting circle of illumination' was a once-off due to the rise of celestial sphere software -

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ne...-equinox/86481

Who will deal with such a tragedy ?

Old September 22nd 17, 03:26 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 2:24:05 PM UTC-6, Gerald Kelleher wrote:

Who will deal with such a tragedy ?

Who?

No one but you!

....since you are the only one to recognize it as a tragedy.

And then there's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHRQcpzlJKk

John Savard
Old September 22nd 17, 06:44 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

The moon's circle of illumination always runs parallel with the Earth's at all points in its monthly circuit -

https://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/jpeg/PIA00134.jpg

This is as far as it goes when dealing with a 'pivoting circle of illumination' on an Earth with a 0° inclination and a NASA imprimatur -

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap170319.html

Had they presented a spinning flat Earth it would be less offensive but such is the end of astronomy in any meaningful sense. I just thought it was a lazy and stupid person sitting at a keyboard manipulating imaging but its rapid acceptance in 6 months is an assault on the mind because of the dominance of celestial sphere enthusiasts and their ideology.
Old September 22nd 17, 03:30 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Bill[_9_]

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 19:26:42 -0700 (PDT), Quadibloc wrote:

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 2:24:05 PM UTC-6, Gerald Kelleher wrote:

Who will deal with such a tragedy ?

Who?

No one but you!

...since you are the only one to recognize it as a tragedy.

And then there's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHRQcpzlJKk

John Savard

I'll add:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSun8esUbh8

The Lyrics:

"You're a real tough cookie with a long history
Of breaking little hearts like the one in me...
That's OK, let's see how you do it
Put up your dukes, let's get down to it...

chorus

You come on with it, come on
You don't fight fair
That's OK, see if I care
Knock me (Scientific Method) down, it's all in vain
I'll get right back on my feet again...

Hit me with your best shot
Why don't you hit me with your best shot
Hit me with your best shot
FIRE AWAY!

--
Email address is a Spam trap.

Celestial sphere software Gerald Kelleher Amateur Astronomy 0 February 10th 17 09:26 AM
Celestial Sphere/Equinox Mike Westerfield Misc 2 August 27th 09 10:16 AM
Celestial sphere image? Dave Typinski[_3_] Amateur Astronomy 26 May 14th 09 01:50 PM
celestial sphere doug UK Astronomy 1 September 6th 05 08:26 PM
Counting Stars on the Celestial Sphere? W. Watson Amateur Astronomy 4 November 25th 03 10:57 PM