Easter Egg and Gravity

Old March 25th 05, 03:00 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Default Easter Egg and Gravity

Woke up this morning with no deep science thoughts. Was going to make a
fried egg,but always wanted to see if I could balance an egg on its
end(point) I did it(took time) and the surface I used was very smooth
and flat(a mirror) It is still balancing,and will see how long it takes
to fall over in a room with very still air?? Now how do I bring
gravity into this balancing act? First would it have been easier to
balance on March 21,or Sept. 23 the days of the equinoxes? Seems to me
the gravity of the Sun and Moon lined up under my feet(perpendicular)
(not side way direction) would be of some help. the egg is attracted to
the Earth's center,and the Moon and the Sun are in direct line. I know
the 4,000 miles to the Earth's center is the bulk of the gravity force
on the egg,but can't i figure the Moon and Sun help,if only a little?
How about if I have the Moon directly over head and the sun directly
below? I don;t thing the Earth spinning helps. Can I think of
the egg balanced on its point of axis? Even if the egg was spinning(fast
spin makes it balance straight up) the exact point of axis is not
spinning however. Well one thing is a fact Newton's universal law of
gravity fits well with what I have posted. When I started typing I had
no idea I had this much to say,. Let me add my Best Wishes for you "all"
Having a great Easter Day Bert. PS I used a raw egg would a hard
boiled egg have been better?

Old March 25th 05, 05:01 PM
Bob Riddle

For something interesting try balancing the same egg on other days at the
same time to see if it balances.
Or why not try to balance something else. It would be a curious form of
selective gravity if only eggs were to be balanced on the equinox, don't you
think?

Clear Skies...
Bob Riddle
=======

Old March 25th 05, 07:45 PM
Karl Heinz Buchegger

Bob Riddle wrote:

For something interesting try balancing the same egg on other days at the
same time to see if it balances.
Or why not try to balance something else. It would be a curious form of
selective gravity if only eggs were to be balanced on the equinox, don't you
think?

Sorry to misuse your reply, but I cannot see Bert's posting. He has
gone to my killfile long before :-)

Look up

http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/egg_spin.html
http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/egg_history.html
http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/eggy.html

--
Karl Heinz Buchegger

Old March 25th 05, 08:25 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi Bob R In reality I don't think the Sun or the Moon have any effect
on my balancing the egg even if they are horizontal to the egg(east and
west) Their force is much to small. Bert. Still eggs are on my mind at
Easter time. Bert

Old March 26th 05, 02:15 AM
Double-A

G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:
Woke up this morning with no deep science thoughts. Was going to make

fried egg,

You...fry an egg?!! What ever happened to "God punishes those who eat
embryos"? Forget yourself? And what about all that cholesterol?

but always wanted to see if I could balance an egg on its
end(point) I did it(took time) and the surface I used was very smooth
and flat(a mirror) It is still balancing,and will see how long it

takes
to fall over in a room with very still air?? Now how do I bring
gravity into this balancing act? First would it have been easier to
balance on March 21,or Sept. 23 the days of the equinoxes?

That's what they say. But why?

[...]

One might think the raw egg would work best, because the fluid interior
gives it a slight ability to right itself. On the other hand, cooking
the egg changes the texture of the surface, making it rougher, so that
might increase your chances of making it stay standing. You know you
can always tell if an egg is cooked or not by trying to spin it. If
it's raw, it won't want to spin, because the liquid inside gives a
counter action.

Some say that being able to balance egg proves that gravity has lines
of force like a magnet. I don't know about that.

Not only would the stillness of the air be important, but freedom from
vibrations too. If you live where heavy trucks drive by, or pile
drivers are in operation, forget it.

For health's sake, it might be best to stick with the chocolate eggs.
On the other hand, I plan on buying eggs today!

By the way, did you ever get it to balance?

Double-A

Old March 26th 05, 11:46 AM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi Double-A I know God punishes people that eat embryos,but what the
hell. God knows I use the "G" in my equation for gravity,and I don't
think he is going to forgive me for that.(bigest sin)
My thinking is as I look at my balanced egg it is telling me the Earth's
surface is at rest relative to it. That the Moon and Sun have no effect
on it. That the eggs center of gravity has lined up with the Earth's
gravity lines of force,and the eggs inertia force will hold it in
place(at rest on its point) until some energy causes it to fall over.
That is what is nice about my little toy gyro it will resist being
tipped as long as its spinning. The Earth is a gyro,and a billion years
ago it was spinning 3 times faster,and that tells us it had 3 times less
wobble. I see the egg as I look through the sliding
door. It is still balancing.All doors to my office closed. Keeping my
dog(Rudy) from barking No opening and closing doors. I wonder
what the record for an egg staying balanced is?? Double-A its
a "jumbo egg" I see two thoughts. Big egg easier to balance. Big egg
harder to balance.(go figure) Bert Yes I'm ashamed when I eat an
embryo(not often)

Old March 26th 05, 01:39 PM
Double-A

G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:
Hi Double-A

[snip]

I see the egg as I look through the sliding
door. It is still balancing.All doors to my office closed. Keeping my
dog(Rudy) from barking No opening and closing doors. I

wonder
what the record for an egg staying balanced is?? Double-A

its
a "jumbo egg" I see two thoughts. Big egg easier to balance. Big egg
harder to balance.(go figure) Bert

[snip]

I'll try it when I buy some jumbo eggs later today. I have never got
it to work before though. Don't thing I'll bother dying them this
year, just eat them!

P.S. Are you sure you didn't put a drop of SuperGlue on the bottom of
the egg???

Double-A

Old March 26th 05, 03:13 PM
Bob Riddle

I agree - my reply was written with tongue firmly in cheek as they say.
Although this is a serious misconception that many folks have because of the
'focus' of balancing an egg on the equinox.

For more on this see my article at http://currentsky.com - click on the
Articles link and then on 'Eggquinox'.

Clear Skies...
Bob Riddle
=========

Old March 29th 05, 02:17 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi Double-A Super glue is cheating. I'm still can't get a new jumbo egg
to balance. Its those after shocks. Maybe I'll try shaking the egg and
that might break the yoke and if the yoke is the heaviest part,and goes
to the bottom having a low center of gravity has to help(maybe that the
trick) Never should have eat the egg I got to balance. Still don't
know how much of the eggs surface is resting on the glass. I rubbed a
magic marker on the bottom of the egg and lightly touched the glass,and
it made a "dot" Could it in reality just resting on a point. Well
Double-A my next idea is to find a short fat egg. Do you think I should
find a short fat hen first? Bert

Old March 29th 05, 05:45 PM
Double-A

G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:
Hi Double-A Super glue is cheating. I'm still can't get a new jumbo

egg
to balance. Its those after shocks. Maybe I'll try shaking the egg

and
that might break the yoke and if the yoke is the heaviest part,and

goes
to the bottom having a low center of gravity has to help(maybe that

the
trick) Never should have eat the egg I got to balance. Still don't
know how much of the eggs surface is resting on the glass. I rubbed a
magic marker on the bottom of the egg and lightly touched the

glass,and
it made a "dot" Could it in reality just resting on a point. Well
Double-A my next idea is to find a short fat egg. Do you think I

should
find a short fat hen first? Bert

I think the only trick is to find an egg that has a natural flat spot
or dimple on the bottom on which it can rest and maintain its balance.

Double-A

P.S. I just heard that Jerry Falwell has suffered a massive heart
attack. Too many cholesterol filled Easter eggs? Makes me worry about
all the eggs I ate!

Double-A